Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Bad when they feel they can get away with it

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Bad most of the time

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Good most of the time, Morally Indifferent, Bad when they feel they can get away with it, or Bad most of the time?

I ask this because of a statement by John Walsh on the radio this morning saying that 99.9% of the American public are good people. What do you think?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Good/bad as to what set standards? I think JW's a little, no a lot optimistic. I don't believe that 99.9% of the American public are good people unless they are calling themselves that. :lol:

SamSpade

I voted Morally Indifferent, but had I heard the radio remark, I would have agreed with it. Context is everything.

To say someone is basically 'good', to me means more than they don't kill, injure, or steal. It means they make some modest *effort* to be good - to be charitable, kind, generous, hospitable. It means being a good person when no one's gonna notice the good you do. I do think a lot of people are like that, but not as many as those referred to as a "good person".

I think people are slightly better than Morally Indifferent, but mainly because being *Bad* carries consequences that many realize are simply not worth it. Call it karma, if you will - there's simply some very practical reasons for NOT being bad. Even if you think you'll probably get away with it, some part of you realizes that one way or another, you won't. If nothing else, you'll erode your own chracter and lose self-respect.

But I also mentioned Morally Indifferent because I know a lot of people that I like very much - but their definition of what makes someone good usually is redefined to what they do most of the time. They make allowances for their own failings, and when they allow room for more 'badness' in their life, they accommodate THAT also as an acceptable level for someone who is good. C.S. Lewis makes this argument in a similar fashion to declare the existence of an understanding of 'good' - people rarely argue over the moral LOW ground. They always want to reassure themselves that what they were doing was, in fact, *right*.

But people are always arguing over who is 'right', and the only rational explanation is that most people redefine 'right' as being their own behavior. They only back off when logic, evidence and experience make their reasoning obviously false.

I haven't, however, found evidence that people are basically BAD. Maybe it's just the people I know.

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
What about

I don't know about good, bad or indifferent.

I think they forgot the big one. Basically, deep down, all people, myself included, are stupid. Inteligent, some, stupid, ALL.

SamSpade

ptbrien said:

I think they forgot the big one. Basically, deep down, all people, myself included, are stupid. Inteligent, some, stupid, ALL.
Agreed. Most accounts of rudeness and otherwise ignorant behavior are far more easily attributed to *stupidity* than malice.

I always give that consideration, but I don't necessarily excuse it. But people are far more likely to be stupid than malicious.

The thing about stupidity is, that over time, it's willful ignorance. Ever hear the expression "there's no fool like an old fool?". There's no one as invincibly ignorant as someone who chooses to be stupid after plenty of chances to do otherwise.

Today, on the shuttle, a woman got on with tons of baggage, sat up front and blocked the aisle with all her debris. I know this woman - she gets off at the last stop. This means that EVERY PERSON who got off that shuttle had to wait for her to move her baggage just to get off the bus. If it was convenient for her to block everyone, I'd just call it laziness; but it was INCONVENIENT for her (and everyone else). For some reason, every time she said "oh, I'm sorry, let me move my stuff" it simply never dawned on her to NOT BLOCK the aisle the *next* time.

That's just first-class, grade A, grand prize stupid.

Studies have actually shown that *children*, just as your mother always thought, actually DO need to be told about a hundred times to remember to do something such as covering a sneeze or to wash their hands before dinner. But adults shouldn't need to be taught common courtesy.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I think most people are selfish.
But then I think that's good, so long as your selfishness doesn't come to the point of greed or ruthlessness.

I'm selfish and proud of it. Everything I do, including the stuff I do for other people, is because I think it will make me happier and wealthier. :yay: When I do something for someone else, I do it because that person's happiness is imperative to my own, even if for just a few moments.

Last edited:
J

justhangn

sleuth said:
I'm squeeky and proud of it. Everything I do, including the stuff I do for other people, is because I think it will make me wealthier. :yay:

Don't we know it......:ohwell:

People are self serving and do very little for the good of each other without some kind of kickback............

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree that 99.9% of the American public are good people, if you define "good" as "not bad".
SamSpade said:
But adults shouldn't need to be taught common courtesy.
I'd like to think that adults who thumb their nose at our social customs were never taught nice manners as children. Unfortunately, I've seen time and again people being asked to observe a particular nicety (cover your mouth when you cough, go get a tissue, dont stink up a public restroom, chew with your mouth closed) and they refuse. Oh, they might do it when asked, but they're right back at it next time.

So that tells me that someone probably DID try and teach them nice manners, and the offending person is simply inconsiderate.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
justhangn said:
Don't we know it......:ohwell:

People are self serving and do very little for the good of each other without some kind of kickback............
You miss my meaning.

What I mean is... the reason I do things for other people is because that person's happiness is something that makes me happy.

When you make a donation to charity, why do you do it?
Is it because it gives you a warm fuzzy? Can you truly say that you've ever done anything that didn't involve a little kickback, no matter how small, for yourself?

Fruitcake Lady

Who the Hell Cares?
sleuth said:
You miss my meaning.

What I mean is... the reason I do things for other people is because that person's happiness is something that makes me happy.

When you make a donation to charity, why do you do it?
Is it because it gives you a warm fuzzy? Can you truly say that you've ever done anything that didn't involve a little kickback, no matter how small, for yourself?
So your always in it for yourself:yay:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Fruitcake Lady said:
So your always in it for yourself:yay:
Yes. It's the American Way.
It's taking the concept of capitalism to a whole new philosophical level. :yay:

If I don't find value in doing something, then I don't do it.

Fruitcake Lady

Who the Hell Cares?
sleuth said:
Yes. It's the American Way.
It's taking the concept of capitalism to a whole new philosophical level. :yay:

If I don't find value in doing something, then I don't do it.
That's where I find you Morally indifferent.

This what's in it for me attitude is lazy and selfish. No wonder why there are all of these problem kids. I think that attitude sucks and is a huge downfall to our falling society.

Last edited:

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
What about

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Fruitcake Lady said:

This what's in it for me attitude is lazy and selfish. No wonder why there are all of these problem kids. I think that attitude sucks and is a huge downfall to our falling society.
Find me what you want.
I don't know anyone who doesn't think the same way.

The question is not whether we are morally good, bad, or indifferent, because as you've all pointed out rather successfully, morality is defined differently by everyone.

The more important question is "what do I value"? To me, that's what defines how good you are. I value love, family, friends, creativity, ambition, talent, loyalty, and trust, to name a few, above all other things. And if that makes me "morally indifferent", so be it, but I know very few people with those same values that most would not view as a "good" person.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ptbrien said:
There are a lot of stupids out there, for sure. I don't consider you, personally, stupid. You might not know everything, but that doesn't make you stupid. You might make mistakes, but that doesn't make you stupid either.

To me, the definition of stupid is knowing better, and doing it anyway. Repeatedly. Even though every time you do that particular action, you get bad results.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
There is a BIG difference between good and "not bad". I think the majority of people in the United States are morally indifferent. They don't really care what others do as long as it does not effect them. No one is truly good. Since this is in the Religion forum I don't think this is inappropriate.
Psalm 53:1-3
1The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God,"
They are corrupt, and have committed abominable injustice;
There is no one who does good.
2God has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men
To see if there is anyone who understands,
Who seeks after God.
3Every one of them has turned aside; together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, not even one.
or
Romans 3:21-24
21But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
22even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;
23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Fruitcake Lady said:

Here's the thing... I think the word "selfish" turns you off. You're thinking of it in the simplest form.

Am I selfish for wanting my family and significant other to be happy? Yes.
It is important to me that they be happy. If they are happy, then I am happier for it.

Selfishness in this form is the most basic of human nature. We eat because if we don't, we die. One of our most basic needs, aka values, is not being satisfied. It is selfish to eat.

It is selfish to breathe. If I don't breathe, my most basic value is not being satified and I die. It is selfish to find a companion. If I don't have companions in life, friends, lovers, etc., then my most basic value (not to be alone, which is Biblical) is not being satified, and I die inside.

For the sake of argument, let's say the people I come into contact with in life are my "companions". By doing things for them, ensuring that they are cared for and happy, I am sustaining one of my basic values or needs.

What I think you're referring to is not selfishness, but greed. It is satisfying your desires at the expense of your values or other people's values.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fruitcake Lady said:
This what's in it for me attitude is lazy and selfish.
I disagree. People are motivated to do great works by "what's in it for them". In fact, I'd bet there's not a single person in the history of the world that did something beneficial without there being some kind of payback, even if it was just the satisfaction of doing the right thing and being able to sleep at night.

I think that's what Sleuth meant.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
I disagree. People are motivated to do great works by "what's in it for them". In fact, I'd bet there's not a single person in the history of the world that did something beneficial without there being some kind of payback, even if it was just the satisfaction of doing the right thing and being able to sleep at night.

I think that's what Sleuth meant.
That's exactly what I meant. :huggy: :flowers: You just said it shorter. :lol:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
The question is not whether we are morally good, bad, or indifferent, because as you've all pointed out rather successfully, morality is defined differently by everyone.
That is the problem. There is an absolute Truth, but most people choose to ignore it because it does not fit in with their selfishness.