Catnip?? or Mud question

D

dems4me

I have been told by alot of people that catnip is bad for cats, it's like letting them smoke pot or take a shot of whiskey or something and its a mind and mood alterer. So I've never let my persians get near catnip, I don't care to see them this way. But, maybe there is no truth to it because as I'm buying presents for the kitty's alot of the toys are loaded with catnip. Usually, I just buy those that don't have it in there, but now 80% of the toys I looked at have catnip -- is it good or bad for a cat? And I don't mean it in a sense of being a "gateway drug" and withdrawals, etc... I mean it in a sense of -- is this a good thing to do for your cat if they enjoy it?

Mud.... how do y'all keep the mud tracking down in your house... the dog and cats go in and out constantly and I put a rug down, but am having to change the rugs at least two or three times a day....and mopping floors at least 3 times a day when it's muddy or raining out. How do y'all keep your floors clean when you have indoor/outdoor pets going in and out. I'm almost at the point of saying eff it but, I can't stand dirty floors because it gets your socks all dirty when you walk around. :frown: :shrug:

Thanks!!! :huggy:

Well had I been graced with more common sense than the Lord granted a rock... I would have posted a poll on the catnip usage, but now too late. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dems4me

appyday said:
I remember a song from camp that went something like..I'm a nut (click click) I'm a nut (click click)

Huhh??? :confused: Were you smoking catnip :confused:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Dems-Not knowledgable about the catnip-

But the floors........ My Chow (also named Taz) will stand just inside the door on the rug and wait for me to dry his feet! He also waits to get his chin dried after drinking! I know this may not help you, but you can try it!!

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
I sometimes put catnip on my cat's scratch pad or in a refillable mouse. She loves those and will spend hours playing with them. She doesn't behave this way with the pretreated toys. From watching my cat I would say that many of these toys have only a miniscule amount of very weak catnip in them. If you get your cats some really good stuff use it like a treat.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Everybody who has cat's has catnip. I really don't think it's a seriously addictive drug. :shrug:

As for the mud - why bother? Actually, my dawg let's me dry his paws as soon as we open the door.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Catnip is not harmful to cats. Did that woman also tell you that cats suck the breath from babies? :durhard:

Use one of those tacky clear mats for the dogs to walk on and keep the cats inside.

D

dems4me

Thanks all, I just all my life thought it was the equivalent of giving them beer or something... you know...something folks do and they actually think it's funny to watch a cat drunk or something...:cussing: it's an altered state but I wasn't sure to what extent :shrug: That's why I asked :shrug:

As for wipping her paws... she doesn't let anyone touch her feet... appyday can testify to that -- she had a traumatic incident as a puppy and was rushed to the vet (a big fishing lure stuck through her jaw from the inside out, just like a fish that was hooked... anyways the vet didn't sedate her much and literally wrestled with her and used vice grips and ripped it out... I could hear her screaming in the waiting room and then they cauterized it. After that the clipped her nails... ever since for some reason she associates anyone touching her feet or nails to that event or something :shrug:

Nanny Pam

dems4me said:
Thanks all, I just all my life thought it was the equivalent of giving them beer or something... you know...something folks do and they actually think it's funny to watch a cat drunk or something...:cussing: it's an altered state but I wasn't sure to what extent :shrug: That's why I asked :shrug:

As for wipping her paws... she doesn't let anyone touch her feet... appyday can testify to that -- she had a traumatic incident as a puppy and was rushed to the vet (a big fishing lure stuck through her jaw from the inside out, just like a fish that was hooked... anyways the vet didn't sedate her much and literally wrestled with her and used vice grips and ripped it out... I could hear her screaming in the waiting room and then they cauterized it. After that the clipped her nails... ever since for some reason she associates anyone touching her feet or nails to that event or something :shrug:

:bawl: poor baby!! So sad.

D

dems4me

Nanny Pam said:
:bawl: poor baby!! So sad.

I know... it was like in slow motion.... I couldn't yell or get their fast enough... she had snuck one of those flashy one's out of the tackle box... tip toed back off the pier and onto land and was throwing it up in the air... everytime I tried to remove it she jerked around making it worse ... as it was barbed I couldn't just pull it out the opposite way - I used pliers to snip off the flashy part so it was just the hook and then pliers to squish the barbs down... eitherway with me and someone else holding her down... she was in a lot of pain and not letting ANYONE near her mouth... she was young... my friend that went with me... laughed with the vet after all was said and done and said "boy!!! Teenagers and their body peircing... I tell ya!!!" :roflmao: