Pastor Joel Osteen

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anybody else ever watch his sermons from Lakewood Church on TV? Normally I loathe televangelists with a purple passion but this guy is really good. He's always got a great inspirational message and he doesn't come off in this smarmy, oily way. Here's the website:
http://www.lakewood-church.org/index.htm

I'm going to be really disappointed if it comes out that he's just another money-grubbing Jim Bakker-type.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
... I'm going to be really disappointed if it comes out that he's just another money-grubbing Jim Bakker-type.
I thought that was a required skill in the job description of "Televangelist"

:confused:

If you ever see it on TV... Watch "Marjoe"

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Marjoe - what a riot! I'm surprised they didn't assassinate him! Do you know that he STILL had a huge following after he made his movie? People still wanted him to "heal" them.
:roflmao:
They show "Marjoe" on AMC every now and again. He actually made some pretty good low-budget movies once he gave up the faith healing business. "Food of the Gods", "Mausoleum", "Earthquake".

I still like Pastor Joel - he had a great sermon this morning about how to keep your "peace" - staying serene when life hands you lemons. He's probably a stinker because a Yahoo search reveals he lives in a $1.2 mil house. Oh well - the sermon was still good.

watercolor

yeah yeah
You know that is the whole reason I was having issues with finding a church....but luckily, I found one with a pastor that is actually decent and treats you like a human and not a higher up, and talks to you like normal and not preaching fire and brimstone and telling you that you are going to hell if you dont follow exactly in his footsteps.

But I will have to look at that. :smile:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
VB - Not you too... I now have a spouse who not only gave up smoking and going to bars (that's a good thing) but she goes to Church every Sunday and teaches Sunday school. Of course, I'm still a heathen who swears and constantly has impure thoughts. My point, VB - change the channel before its too late!!! :cool:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, *ahem*, she wasn't like that until she married YOU! :lmao:

I still like the sermons, even though I don't believe in God. Joel Osteen talks a lot about finding the "God" within yourself to overcome obstacles, get some peace in your life and make tough decisions. I like that - I find it more empowering than the ministers who say you have to send them money in order to get to heaven or that God controls all aspects of your life.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Well, *ahem*, she wasn't like that until she married YOU! :lmao:

I may be partly responsible for some of that, but I take no credit for the Church, Sunday school, youth group, or any of that holy spirit type stuff. In fact, I was thinking about taking up smoking, and going out drinking with my "brothers" again to have some counterbalance on things...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I do know for a fact that your "brothers" miss you big time. But if it's going to cause stress with your honey, it's probably not worth it.

And, MD, thank you for your prayers - I think that's nice :smile: Can't hurt, huh?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Well, I do know for a fact that your "brothers" miss you big time. But if it's going to cause stress with your honey, it's probably not worth it.

Yeah, I suck...

Jessie

Joel Osteen -- Scam Artist

Joel Osteen quit Oral Roberts U, and he has never been ordained as any kind of minister. Instead, he is a 39-year-old Texas businessman and now a self-appointed 'pastor' who conveniently 'assumed' that position at Lakewood Church after his father's death. But he is NOT a pastor, nor can he administer any of the sacraments. Rather, he preaches materialism and 'successful' living; he lives in a million-dollar home in Houston paid for by tithing to Lakewood Church. He recently bought the Compaq Center, formerly the home of the Rockets, and is requesting that members spend millions buying 'theatre' seats to pay for elaborate renovations. He draws naive or disaffected people away from legitimate churches and ordained ministers trained in bibilical scholarship, and he takes these people's money, while they talk blissfully about him because his 'sermons' make them 'feel good.' But that's not what Christianity is about, nor is it biblical.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

I'm going to be really disappointed if it comes out that he's just another money-grubbing Jim Bakker-type.
Uh oh...

K

Kizzy

Jesse,

Could you quote your source on that information you posted? Thank you.

F

Flo

When I am home on Sunday mornings, I enjoy listening to Joel Osteen.

K

Kizzy

The website for the church hasn't loaded in 2 days, that doesn't seem good at all.

K

Kain99

Off topic but that darn Drop down menu software sucks! I hate that stupid thing!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I still like the sermons, even though I don't believe in God. Joel Osteen talks a lot about finding the "God" within yourself to overcome obstacles, get some peace in your life and make tough decisions. I like that - I find it more empowering than the ministers who say you have to send them money in order to get to heaven or that God controls all aspects of your life.

I can appreciate that. Whenever I surf the FM radio band, I avoid 105.1 because I can't stomach that station's ministers. They always seem to be looking for conspiracies against religion, especially from science and higher education. And they keep promoting the idea that human beings are inherently evil. I believe humans are capable of great good as well as great evil. If there's no hope for humankind, we might as well just set off all the nuclear bombs and let the cockroaches have a try at civilization.