Seedy toe...

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Have any of you dealt with white line disease? My old grump has managed to get it. Farrier suggested Vicks (after he dug out what he could, we are growing out a chipped off crack and it was looking good but that's where the WLD showed up; he said there was not much fungus there, but didnt want it to go any farther). Apparently Vicks vapo rub works for toenail fungus in humans, and Cornell did some research and applied it to WLD in equines. I had heard grapefruit seed extract as well. Wondering if you kind folks have anything to add?

Farrier also said that he has seen WLD in areas of the state where the ph of the soil is a certain level. Horse eats grass and so his ph level is same as soil unless you change it by adding more acid. WHich if you are feeding GSE, that might do the trick. What else can you safely feed an older horse to keep this from reoccurring?

Hope everyone's Christmas and New Year was happy! I was away visiting for most of it. All the best in 2005 to youse guys!

fredsaid2

Here's a site Farrier Resources with several articles on WLD. I didn't read through all of them but cutting out the affected area, treatment and trying to keep the feet dry were mentioned by all of them. You might talk to your farrier for his opinion on the Keratex products. I've used their hoof hardener and gel. They create a water barrier to keep hooves from absorbing excess moisture in damp conditions. Their nail hole disinfectant claims to be effective for WLD. Good luck w/ your guy!

mingiz

Horse Poor
seedy toe

I had a gelding that had a fungus in his hoof. No farrier around here would touch it. The fungus was deep. So every farrier that I used here only cut out the surface of it. I found a farrier up in Frederick that fixed the problem. I took the horse there and he literally cut away half of his hoof. After that he gave me some meds that was expensive but it worked. I would soaked the foot then put the meds on placed gause pads over that then vet wrap then duck tape for a boot. I did this everyday for 3 months! The horse grew back new growth and with so far is fine. He is listed under the Md. Farrier's directory. http://www.farriers.com/area5.htm His name is Phillip Thommen. he only charged me 60$ to treat him but the meds were expensive for a 4 oz bottle but the stuff worked. He will come to you but it will cost alot more. He's located in Mt Airy. It was very well worth every penny.