Got in a debate with my friend...

Spoiled

He is part of some religion that is 'greater than your' religion... They point out that the Sabbath is really Sat. and not Sun. He kept saying Easter was a paegan holiday, and the word's roots come from a sacrifice holiday...

I hadnt researched either so I found it difficult to argue, I said he is arguing the word Easter and not the practice, I tried explaining to him they could call it what ever they want and its not paegan, its christian. He said its not outlined in the Bible so its worshiping a fale God. I said we are worshiping a false God, we are celebrating him proving once and for all he is God...

So I come home and do a bit of research, and as any person can figure out, according to the calendar Saturday is the seventh day (Sabbath day). But I decided to check up on why the day was moved, Jews have saturday as theirs still, Muslims friday (wtf? werent part of the argument so i didnt look into that further) and Christians Sunday. Jesus did his stuff on Sundays. When I think of the week as ending I think of sunday, not saturday... When i think of the week as starting I think of Monday, not Sunday...

We know for a fact that the first day of
the week has been observed from apostolic times, and the necessary conclusion
is, that it was observed by the apostles and their immediate disciples. This,
we may be sure, they never would have done without the permission or the
authority of their Lord. After his resurrection, which took place on the first
day of the week (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1; John 20:1), we never find
Christ meeting with his disciples on the seventh day. But he specially honoured
the first day by manifesting himself to them on four separate occasions (Matt.
28:9; Luke 24:34, 18-33; John 20:19-23). Again, on the next first day of the
week, Jesus appeared to his disciples (John 20:26). Some have calculated that
Christ's ascension took place on the first day of the week. And there can be no
doubt that the descent of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost was on that day (Acts
2:1). Thus Christ appears as instituting a new day to be observed by his people
as the Sabbath, a day to be henceforth known amongst them as the "Lord's day."
The observance of this "Lord's day" as the Sabbath was the general custom of
the primitive churches, and must have had apostolic sanction (comp. Acts
20:3-7; 1 Cor. 16:1, 2)

Now for the Easter part. I found this:

easter

originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of
whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came
to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the
time of the Passover. In the early English versions this word was frequently
used as the translation of the Greek pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized
Version (1611) was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in which
this word pascha occurred, except in Act 12:4. In the Revised Version the proper
word, "passover," is always used.

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
It sounds like they needed a name for the resurection so the just grabbed one from a holiday that wasnt jewish and at the same time... As i was saying...

my point to posting this? I forogt, its 2:15 im tired, i guess i just want debate, flames (spelling, grammar, me being a mroon, all that stuff), or possibly support

oh and for what its worth, as of Jan. 24th I will be able to substitute teach in st marys county public schools...

HAPPY NEW YEAR :smoochy: :love:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
watercolor said:
Sounds like a seventh day adventist and or jehova witness
:yeahthat:

I haven't done the research, but I remember being told that Christians celebrate Sunday because Christ rose on the first day of the week which would have been a Sunday.

There is scripture to the effect that one person holds one day sacred to the Lord and someone else holds everyday sacred; the one does good and the other does better. Jeses said the Sabbath was made for man. I figure it really doesn't matter which day or every day as long as you have a relationship with God.