Huh

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
I just ate cottage cheese for the first time in my whole entire life. It was...interesting.
Are you serious??? Did ya like it? Will ya eat it again? Hope you're not lactose intolerent. It's good with salad. Do you know where it comes from? How much did you eat? Where did u buy it? Are you going to make Angelscraper eat it? :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mike, don't drip that all over the carpet, you hear? :lol:

I think "interesting" is as far as I'm prepared to go. :ohwell:

oldman

Lobster Land
vraiblonde said:
I just ate cottage cheese for the first time in my whole entire life.

It was...interesting.
I like it on top of some fresh lettuce and a few cherrys.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
vraiblonde said:
I just ate cottage cheese for the first time in my whole entire life.

It was...interesting.
Can't do it. Tried it with fruit, tried it with vegetables..large curd, small curd..low fat, fat free...nope..can't do it. :barf:

S

Shutterbug

Mikeinsmd said:
Are you serious??? Did ya like it? Will ya eat it again? Hope you're not lactose intolerent. It's good with salad. Do you know where it comes from? How much did you eat? Where did u buy it? Are you going to make Angelscraper eat it? :lmao:
You are too funny! :lmao:

My mom gave me cottage cheese when I was a kid and told me it was ice cream. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was with kids loving ice cream...I didn't think it was so great. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
Can't do it. Tried it with fruit, tried it with vegetables..large curd, small curd..low fat, fat free...nope..can't do it. :barf:
It wasn't horrible - just bland. I dipped some pineapple spears in it. I guess I expected it to be cheesier or something. My aunt once made some rice pudding and forgot to put the sugar in. It reminded me of that.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
It wasn't horrible - just bland. I dipped some pineapple spears in it. I guess I expected it to be cheesier or something. My aunt once made some rice pudding and forgot to put the sugar in. It reminded me of that.
I used to eat it for breakfast with a little cinnamon/sugar mixed into it. :yum:

Pete

Repete
I love it, especially large curd. I grew up on a dairy farm. Every once in a blue moon we would have a tank cooler malfunction and we would have a 500 gallon tank of milk go bad. When that happened we would either sell it to the "butter plant" at a reduced price or we would call all the neighbors and everyone would get together and make butter and my grandma would make cottage cheese.

Fresh butter was good, but I could eat a pound of cottage cheese. when it is home made it is alot drier and you would pour a little cream or butter milk on it and stir it up. :yum:

We used to make butter in an old tub style washing machine that was modified. The impeller had paddles on it to churn better. 35 gallons of milk in it, turn it on and wait. We used to skim the butter balls off and press and salt them into molds. We never bought butter, milk, cottage cheese from the store.

Salt and pepper on Cottage cheese :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A friend taught me how to make this "poor farmers" dish with cottage cheese. I have no idea what it's called, but it is delicious and VERY simple to make! Here's the recipe:

1 stick of butter
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 large container cottage cheese
1 lb. bow-tie pasta
salt and pepper

Start cooking the bow-tie pasta according to package directions. While it's boiling, melt the butter in a frying pan. Pour in egg mixture and constantly stir it around in the butter until the eggs harden into curds in 5-7 minutes. The mixture will be a bit runny from the butter.

After the pasta is finished boiling, drain it well. Add the cooked eggs mixture and cottage cheese. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well.

It is the BOMB. :banana:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pete said:
I love it, especially large curd. I grew up on a dairy farm. Every once in a blue moon we would have a tank cooler malfunction and we would have a 500 gallon tank of milk go bad. When that happened we would either sell it to the "butter plant" at a reduced price or we would call all the neighbors and everyone would get together and make butter and my grandma would make cottage cheese.

Fresh butter was good, but I could eat a pound of cottage cheese. when it is home made it is alot drier and you would pour a little cream or butter milk on it and stir it up. :yum:

We used to make butter in an old tub style washing machine that was modified. The impeller had paddles on it to churn better. 35 gallons of milk in it, turn it on and wait. We used to skim the butter balls off and press and salt them into molds. We never bought butter, milk, cottage cheese from the store.

Salt and pepper on Cottage cheese :yay:
You and a friend of mine have a lot in common. He grew up on a farm, too. They did most of those things themselves, but on a smaller scale. He still has one of the butter churns but for display ONLY. :lol:

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Mikeinsmd said:
Man that fresh dairy sounds delicious!!! Guess I'm going to have to try salt & pepper on Cottage Cheese.
One other thing you might want to do is to squeeze or drain some of the cream off it first.

I grew up with Mennonites (my dads side) They are very self sufficient. We used to make our own butter, butcher our own cows and hogs, put up our own veggies.

We grew 10 acres of sweet potatos. We would run the tractor through and turn the dirt with a chisel plow and pick up sweet potatoes for a week. Then we would put 3 or 4 hogs in a portable pen in that feild and they would dig up all the ones we missed. I had to feed those hogs twice a day and the porblem with that system was that the pen got further and further away form the barn because you had to move it when the hogs got all the sweet potatoes dug up. I would have to carry the buckets of feed a freaking quarter mile. :duh:

When we butchered a cow or a pig generally 2 families split it. Everyone would show up at our place because we had the small butcher shop with walk in cooler. Everyone pitched in cutting and wrapping. The kids used to have their own table and got a huge pan of bones. We would use knives to cut the meat off the bones to grind into burger/sausage.

We also grew 2 acres of turnips. (I still don't like turnips much.)