Best place to have a pet put down

Old Dog

My cat has cancer, diagnosed back in September. It doesn't really seem to be going into remission so I need to start thinking about the time when I need to have her put down.

I want to be with her when she goes and I'd really like that to not be in a sterile operating room type place.

I'm in Chaptico.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I've read that some vets will come into your home to do it, you could just call around and ask. It's the toughest thing you'll ever have to do, but the bravest thing you can do for your cat. :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I've dealt with Prince Frederick Animal Hospital for years. We've had to make the agonizing decision twice in the last year. Both times, it was done in their office and the vet and the staff could not have been more wonderful. They were very accommodating and complied with all of my requests. It was done in the office but both animals were placed on a blanket, given treats and petted and hugged until the peaceful end.

Sometimes with very sick or elderly animals, it can be difficult to find the vein and other things can happen in the process and it is better if they are in the vet's office.

Aren't you seeing a vet regularly though? I would think they would know the cat and be happy to help you with this.

Sorry you have to go through this. :sad:

Old Dog

I take her to Southern Maryland Vet Emergency in Waldorf for her chemo treatments. I was thinking something closer to home would be better. Less travel for her. Less distance to find my own way home afterward.

Old Dog

That's my gone kitty Caesar as my avatar. He's been gone just over 2 years. The one that's ill is a Siamese. I got them on the same day almost 14y ago when he was 10w and she was 12w.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Dr. Veitch (I call him DR. Kaveichian) from Three Notch came to my house. It was the best place I could think of. I'm sure there was some sort of fee involved but well worth it. I could not let my baby go in a cold sterile doctors office.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Vet A Pet 301-475-5777, came to the house when I had my husky put down. They even took him to their farm and burried him there.

alex

We had 3 Notch put our dog down at their office. They are very good, however we did not stay with him but they are very nice. They just handed me the whole box of tissues as soon as I walked in.

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Sorry to hear the news,I have put down a many of animals in the past years.
Just curious,What are Vets charging these days for putting down a pet ?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I think my total bill came to 280 (that included a blood test determining that he was in kidney failure) so it was roughly 200 bucks.
I loved that little dog so much :bawl:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
appyday said:
I would not let that woman put down a mouse...I would not even let her on my property...
I don't know the woman personally but she was gentle, did a fine service and I was satisfied with what she did. But then again anyone that would come to my place and allow me to hold my dog as he departed would have been okay in my book.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
appyday said:
I had ways with Vetapet years ago when my old horse was down(she was 25 and I had her for over 20 yrs) I needed someone to come and put her down..it was in the morning I found her when feeding. Down, raw from thrashing and trying to get up. You could tell this mare was never going to stand again and needed to be put down. I called several vets (my first few choices) and all were "up the road" I called Candy at Vetapet and she said. I am free I could come out but I won't. You gave her banamine (a pain killer) and it inhibits my ability to fairly evaluate her. Evalute what part of I want her put down and she can not get up dont you understand. Those words still haunt me and I cry as I write this. My mare was down and needed to be distroyed. She made this mare lay in the hot sun until afternoon when another vet could make it out. If she had said she was booked or could not make it that would have been one thing but she said..I am free I could come out but I wont. I have no use for the likes of her...

Ps found out she had a fractured pelvic

Appy I understand your pain but at the same time I'll never forgive a vet who put a cat of mine down while she had a pain killer onboard. Young cat (4 yrs old), peed on the floor as opposed to the litter box and it had blood in it. I figured it was a UTI. By the time I got her to the vet she was very lethargic. So they took a urine sample and did bloodwork. Low and behold she was in renal failure. Rare in a young cat but not unheard of. I was told on the spot that her chances of survival were slim but if I wasn't ready to let her go yet that they could keep her overnight and give her fluids and meds and we could see how she was the next day. Sounded good to me. I came straight from work the next day and she hadn't improved at all so I decided to let her go. She was unhooked from the IV but they left the cath in for easier admission of the euthinasia meds. I had worked in this vets office and had seen many many animals put down. I was totally unprepared for what I was about to witness.... From the time the injection is given it should take mere seconds for the animal to pass. My cat was given the correct dosage for her weight and instead of her passing on peacefully she thrashed and moaned for several minutes. Of course I was in shock and asked the vet what in the hell was going on. He explained to me that the pain meds she had in her slowed down her system enough to make the process take a lot longer then it normally would. It was hearwrenching to watch. :sad:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
appyday said:
I feel for you Pixie but not quite the same...she wanted to "save" this horse. Not follow my wishes. She wanted to evalute her. I have witnesses some horrors putting down horses..thrashing..running etc..Dr Miller has put down 2 for me...one over 30 yr old..coliced and My old App mare Brandy..both were very peaceful and quite..he was great with Scarlette my old dog too....

I understand. My point was only to share my experience in putting down an animal that was already on pain meds. :huggy:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
All the stories are so sad i just want to cry. Im very sorry any of you had to go through it. The loss of a pet, any kind of pet, is terrible. Trust me, I know. Be strong for your baby. They need you most at this time.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
baileydog said:
All the stories are so sad i just want to cry. Im very sorry any of you had to go through it. The loss of a pet, any kind of pet, is terrible. Trust me, I know. Be strong for your baby. They need you most at this time.

I need to put one down. Her name is Roxanne. Part Chow and Charpe' <sp>
I just can't do it. I want to bury her in the back yard of my kids house.

spinner

appyday said:
I would not let that woman put down a mouse...I would not even let her on my property...

I dealt with her years ago with a goat emergency....I'm with Appy on this one, I wouldn't have her on my property.

We deal with Tidewater, they have always done right by us

mingiz

Horse Poor
Sorry about your cat. It's hard to make a decision on putting your friend down. I just had my cat of 14yrs put down, then brought home and buried on the farm. You can take the cat to the Tri County Animal Shelter when you make your final decision.. They will put it down and I think they will let you be with it, you can decide what you want to do after that. Leave it or take it home. I have used them before and it doesn't cost anything but a little form to fill out.Again sorry.