My Mouse

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
is gving me major fits today. :burning: I click the button and it either does nothing or goes hyperfast. Like trying to reply to mail, I hit reply and it sends it before I can even type anything. I took the ball out and it is clean, but its the clicker that is all F****d up.

Any ideas?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Could be a couple things.

One being that the mouse is dirty.
Take out the mouse ball and check to see no gunk is on the rollers that the ball sits against. If there's any way to take the mouse apart, disassemble it to remove the cover. Check the cover where the mouse buttons are to make sure there's no lint, dirt, etc. underneath and around them. Then check around the pads where the cover buttons make the connection with the pads.

Also, you could simply need a reboot. It may be that you have some program that is taking up a lot of memory after a crash or something like that. This could be causing delays and/or sudden bursts of clicks from your mouse. This is probably the more likely culprit.

Good luck.

Craig

Originally posted by RoseRed
is gving me major fits today. :burning: I click the button and it either does nothing or goes hyperfast. Like trying to reply to mail, I hit reply and it sends it before I can even type anything. I took the ball out and it is clean, but its the clicker that is all F****d up.

Any ideas?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks, I have tried all that. Usually if I bash it on the desk a few times, it knocks the "hyper" out of it. :lol: But that doesn't seem to be the case this time. Maybe I should just get a new one....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Your mouse is probably fine - the most likely culprit is your driver. More info - what kind of mouse? What OS?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Even if the mouse is fine...

Do yourself a favor and buy a neutered mouse! :biggrin:

Optical Mouse.... No Balls! Best purchase I've made in a long while.

SeaRide

Originally posted by RoseRed
Top says Microsoft, bottom says Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.1A. Windows 98
Mine says "IntelliMouse 1.1A PS/2 Compatible"

If your mouse button is not clicking right, it's probably worn out. Just replace it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, you should probably just get a new one. You said that bashing it used to fix it, but now bashing doesn't fix it :lmao: - so it's probably not the driver. Sounds like the mouse guts themselves.

I'll second Kyle's optical mouse suggestion - I love mine.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It does it off and on. It is getting up in years though, probably about 7 years old. Time to bury the little sucker :wink:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Go to My Computer/Control Panel/Mouse, and see if you can adjust the speed and sensitivity of the mouse. Those settings may have been altered.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
If you have not rebooted the computer in a while, do it. Microsoft operating systems (OSs) are notorious for memory leaks. This can cause driver corruption. We have experienced this on Windows 95, 98, and NT4 OSs. A reboot cured it.

if it still acts up after the reboot, buy a new mouse.

In my everyday life, I am a Senior Computer Systems Analyst, so I do have some real experience.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks everyone I have tried everything suggested and the thing is still retarded. Time for a new one I guess.

Y

yornoc

Re: Even if the mouse is fine...

Originally posted by Kyle
Do yourself a favor and buy a neutered mouse! :biggrin:

Optical Mouse.... No Balls! Best purchase I've made in a long while.

I agree! Next time I'll loose the tail

K

Kizzy

The only problem with buying a mouse without the tail is that it might as well be a real mouse. I'd never find it! But I have a new no ball mouse and it is fantastic. Best purchase I have made.