Help!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
So I've got this little aloe vera plant that someone split up. I took a little piece and the woman who gave it to me said that I could just put it in water and roots will grow. So I've got it sitting in a cut-off coke bottle filled with water. How much of the plant should be submersed? How long can I grow it in water? How often should I change the water? I really don't want to kill this plant. I also have a varigated ivy plant here that isn't doing as well as I'd hoped. I thought ivy was pretty hearty...can anyone give suggestions on how to make these plants thrive?

Agee

Ehesef said:
So I've got this little aloe vera plant that someone split up. I took a little piece and the woman who gave it to me said that I could just put it in water and roots will grow. So I've got it sitting in a cut-off coke bottle filled with water. How much of the plant should be submersed? How long can I grow it in water? How often should I change the water? I really don't want to kill this plant. I also have a varigated ivy plant here that isn't doing as well as I'd hoped. I thought ivy was pretty hearty...can anyone give suggestions on how to make these plants thrive?
Aloe is considered a succulent, and prefers dry conditions. Since you are trying to root it, keep the amount of water to a minimum. Once it roots, plant it in "cactus potting soil".

With the Ivy, try another location with different lighting.

D

dems4me

Airgasm said:
Aloe is considered a succulent, and prefers dry conditions. Since you are trying to root it, keep the amount of water to a minimum. Once it roots, plant it in "cactus potting soil".

With the Ivy, try another location with different lighting.

:yeahthat:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
For the aloe vera:
Most succulents are able to be propagated by stem cuttings (except for Caudiciform species). The ideal time to take cuttings is in spring at the end of the plant's dormant period (or autumn for winter flowering plants). Do not take long cuttings because they will wilt before they can root. After taking the cutting, keep cutting(s) potted in bright shade and in an airy place at temperatures of 64-75F. The actual method of taking cuttings is simply just precisly removing sections or stems of the plant and thus creating a seperate species to cultivate. This is another great way of obtaining several of the same species, just by propagating on plant.

For the ivy:
I would give it a kick shot of some type of fertilzer. They make plant food stakes for houseplants that are realtively inexpensive. Keep the plant in a high light area, away from drafts, and let the soil stay slightly dry.