Artifacts...in Water, under Land

Hessian

With all the growth in So. Md...there are fewer places to roam and do some relic/coin/bottle recovery.

I've enjoyed searching for old artifacts both fossil & Man-made and am hoping there might be some parcels still worth searching. If you have some good relic stories...bottle dump finds,... want to know what fell off the docks in the 1800's ....or simply would like to see what is on Aunt Sarah's farm:

This might be the opportunity to post your question or open an invitation.
There are a number of water hunters (I'm not one)...mineral collectors,..rookie paleo hunters..or metal detectorists who would be glad to offer advice on recovery, conservation, surveying, & displaying relics & other finds.

I'll start by saying that my most remarkable recovery was 50 yards back from a beach...about 3 miles up from Point Look-out. I dug a deep target (16 inches!) and almost gave up when I pulled out what appeared to be a brass ash-tray. I wasn't too excited until I cleaned it up and researched it. NOT an Ashtray: Rather an eppallette from a Civil War officer's uniform..."Shoulder scale."--no, it really isn't worth a fortune but it clearly was my best find from the CW period.

So...what have you recovered? Would you need some advice about an odd relic or uncertain about a depression on your property?...Go ahead a Post!

fttrsbeerwench

I think that's pretty cool. I am a nut history!! I have about eight musket balls that were dug out of a tree in the city park where I grew up . My grandad worked there for years and found things from time to time that proved to be from the CW era. I also got my hands on some very old railroad spikes but not from around here. If you are looking for places to dig or want to sometime show me what your methods are for recovery, I would very much like to get involved.. This area has tons of spots that aren't "excavated" but carry history and could possibly be a worthwhile venture......

Buddy of mine does bottle digs in basements in Baltimore city and Annapolis (lots of the OLD rowhomes have dirt basement floors, instead of concrete as the new ones have. He also does digs in backyards in B'more. He has found some really neat stuff.

Hessian

No such thing as Trash collection Pre 1950!

Speaking of Baltimore bottles: I went Kayaking along some shallow shorelines and down the hill from a Victorian Farmhouse--at the water's edge...I found 4 bottles from a Baltimore Brewer: 1890-1915 as well as some intriguing pill bottles. Again: Not worth much but a bunch of fun to research & clean-up.

When the Spring Neap (sp?) tides hit in March...where is a good shoal/sandbar to hunt? Always seems like a full moon at that time drives the tides down 2 feet below normal!

fttrsbeerwench

Probably not much for "a dig", but have you ever been to the waterfront in Annapolis?
The old taverns and restaurants( I liked Rams Head best)have tried to keep their lower levels as original as possible. Cobblestone floors and such. This sounds like a very interesting project idea, if you could get permission to remove some of the old stone flooring. Perhaps something a bit closer to home. I could look for some places to fart around with. Have you found anywhere recently that you could do some searching? The best wading sand bars I remember were at St.George's Island and that one spot that is protected by the navy in Solomons.