Libertarians

demsformd

I am not really sure what libertarianism stands for and what it is identified with. I have heard most of you call yourselves libertarians, so can you enlighten me. I also want to know if they are more conservative or liberal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My brother-in-law does a lot of work for the Libertarian party. Libertarians believe in very few government restrictions. They'd legalize drugs and prostitution. They don't believe in government entitlements, such as welfare of state-regulated health care. They're against NATO and other treaty-type organizations. They have hands-off foreign policy beliefs and are big free trade people.

Basically, every man would be self-governing unless it infringes on the rights, liberty, property or safety of others. They don't believe it's the place of government to "save us from ourselves". Call it a mix of conservative and liberal, which is why it's so attractive to people.

I tend to go Libertarian, except for that drug legalization business. But most people aren't tough enough to let people fend for themselves - they see the "downtrodden" among us and want to do something for them, rather than make them do something for themselves or die out.

See http://www.libertarian.org for more information.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by demsformd
I am not really sure what libertarianism stands for and what it is identified with. I have heard most of you call yourselves libertarians, so can you enlighten me. I also want to know if they are more conservative or liberal.

To kinda' sum up VB's excellent explanation, Libertarians are social liberals, and fiscal conservatives.

The reason that the libertarian party isn't more appealing to the main stream, is because they take both social and fiscal aspects to the extreme. Mainstream politics are more moderate.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Plus, calling your self a libertarian is the cool thing to do these days.. I have asked several people who claim to be libertarians what their beliefs are and have NEVER received a good answer as to what they stand for. I still didn't really have a clue to their thinking until Vrai just talked about.. so the next time a clueless wannabe libertarian starts talking about is party, Ican at least now tell him what he should be talking about :)

jimmy

Drunkard
I really like libertarian views in terms of the pretty good compromise that they present to those straddling the fence on certain issues who may come down with the lib's socially in some ways and conservatives economically.

Not sure if the American people are ready for such autonomy as would be granted under a libertarian system but if you have an optimistic view of the general capability of our citizenry, then Libertarianism may be right up your alley.

J

justhangn

According to a political test I took some time ago, I am a Libertarian.

I would actually consider myself a very conservative person though.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Even though I'm not a Libertarian, I'm glad the party exists. I like this party's ideological consistency, in particular its attitude that morality should not be legislated. The "Big Two" seem more interested in orthodoxy (which is not the same thing as ideology) and in the "For heaven's sake let's do something" concept of legislation.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jimmy
Not sure if the American people are ready for such autonomy as would be granted under a libertarian system but if you have an optimistic view of the general capability of our citizenry, then Libertarianism may be right up your alley.
Look at us, Jimmy - just agreeing with each other all OVER the place! :biggrin: People have been sheep for too long and are unaccustomed to taking responsibility for themselves - there's no way you could go to a Libertarian system overnight. It would be chaos. You'd have to work people into it.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by SmallTown
Plus, calling your self a libertarian is the cool thing to do these days.. I have asked several people who claim to be libertarians what their beliefs are and have NEVER received a good answer as to what they stand for.

Most of the people I know who claim to be Libertarian can barely tell me boo about their 'party', don't know what the platform says, don't know the national or local candidates in any race, and claim the association based partly on a few things they have heard but never have fully investigated. You're right - it's hip to say "Independent" (except that usually means, "I don't pay too much attention to politics") or Libertarian (which usually means "I like the drug legalization stuff and the small government stuff").

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Frank

Most of the people I know who claim to be Libertarian can barely tell me boo about their 'party', don't know what the platform says, don't know the national or local candidates in any race, and claim the association based partly on a few things they have heard but never have fully investigated. You're right - it's hip to say "Independent" (except that usually means, "I don't pay too much attention to politics") or Libertarian (which usually means "I like the drug legalization stuff and the small government stuff").

Good point, Frank. I've been a political junkie since my teens, and an independent voter since college. Maybe I became an independent because I pay TOO much attention to politics.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by Tonio

Good point, Frank. I've been a political junkie since my teens, and an independent voter since college. Maybe I became an independent because I pay TOO much attention to politics.

Thing is, you don't lose anything by registering with a party in most states - and in many states, being Independent excludes you from the primaries, and that's why I DO register with a party, so I can get a chance to choose who will run later on. I actually know a small number of people who think registering a party obligates you to vote for that party in some way, so they say Independent because they think it means, I can vote any way I want.

I'm a registered Democrat, but actually, I'm rather conservative politically. It costs me nothing to register as a Democrat, because I can still vote however I want.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Being a nonaligned voter, I've gotten more political mail this year than family members who are registered with parties. We've gotten a few calls from candidates (recordings, usually) and their supporters.

This one was priceless:

Caller: "Sir, I'm taking a poll. Are you going to vote for Tommy McKay or Julie Randall?"

Tonio: "Well, I haven't decided yet."

Caller: "Oh, okay." Click!

Unbelievable. Didn't this guy even want to know WHY I hadn't made up my mind?