Tight Race

pilot

Somebody from my home town in Michigan recently asked me why the governor race in MD is so tight. If I understand correctly, MD has not had a Republican governor since the 1960's.

In Michigan (and many other parts of the country), the trend seems to be just the opposite. Places that haven't had a Democrat governor for years are suddenly changing.

Any insights as to what's happening here? Why is this particular race suddenly so tight?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pilot
Somebody from my home town in Michigan recently asked me why the governor race in MD is so tight. If I understand correctly, MD has not had a Republican governor since the 1960's.
Yep, since Agnew left in 1969 it has been a Democrat.

Any insights as to what's happening here? Why is this particular race suddenly so tight?
Honestly, I think people are getting tired of the wheels just spinning and going no where. The deficit for the state is getting way up there and it will continue to grow or our taxes will again spiral higher to reduce it. There is waste all over the state that hasn't been addressed in quite some time. Some Democrats are finally realizing that and have seen what an idiot KKT is. Just last week she was at Bowie State and during her opening remarks again she showed that she didn't know where she was.

pilot

You know, Ken, you might be onto something. People like change.

To tell you the truth, if either one of the political parties stayed in power for too long, I would start getting nervous. The day the pendulum stops swinging, I'd have to start wondering if we're still a democracy.

But enough philosophizing, I was just curious about this particular race.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pilot
You know, Ken, you might be onto something. People like change.

To tell you the truth, if either one of the political parties stayed in power for too long, I would start getting nervous. The day the pendulum stops swinging, I'd have to start wondering if we're still a democracy.

But enough philosophizing, I was just curious about this particular race.
If all was "fine and dandy" we wouldn't need change. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. We have the highest deficit ever, one of the worst crime rates, and I see it only growing if KKT continues on the same path that Spendenning took us down. Ehrlich wants to reverse this trend and I think he should have the opportunity. KKT is popular only because of that family name. I want a Governor that at least knows where they are at and isn't so bent on stripping our rights and money away from us.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As an aside, Bob Ehrlich will be making an appearance in downtown Frederick today at 4pm. Larry and I are going - I'll let you all know if anything interesting happens.

demsformd

The reason that their is such an anti-incumbent tide arising on the state level is that 1) the Republican governors that were elected in 1994 are term-limited, 2) the federal budget crisis has caused the state budgets to flounder, like in Michigan and Maryland, and 3) here in Maryland, the Democrats control for over thirty years. In the end, Townsend should win, I mean this was one of the few states that gave Al Gore in 2000 a better margin than Bill Clinton in 1996. I honestly think that the educated, liberal voters of Montgomery County merely like to vote against the way they want to or would usually do because they like to be sporadic or "independent" as they call it. That's purely speculative but Mrs. Townsend is definitely more in the mainstream of Maryland political thought than Ehrlich, but he has done a better job of portraying himself as a moderate. Townsend's biggest problems come from Glendenning, the budget shortfall, and the inability of her campaign to unite Democrats.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mrs. Townsend is definitely more in the mainstream of Maryland political thought than Ehrlich
That is completely untrue. As of yesterday, Ehrlich was enjoying a 5 point lead over KKT. As the semi-incumbent, she should be waxing his butt in the polls right now. Look at Ehrlich's voting record - very moderate. Now look at the things KKT has done in her position as Lt. Gov and her position on the issues. SHE is an extreme liberal. Her whole family is - it's in her blood and she had it spoon-fed to her all her life.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
This race is of interest nationally for one reason - a Kennedy is running.

STMLADY

I love this!

Originally posted by Frank
This race is of interest nationally for one reason - a Kennedy is running.

And running and running and running back to the Kennedy Compound :bawl: I lost I lost:bawl: You said this wouldn't happen:bawl: I want my own Camalot:bawl: :bawl:

:roflmao: