Need Help Deciding

ylexot

Super Genius
I'm going to be entering a photo competition next week and need help deciding which three pictures to enter. I had them all printed and I'll eventually enter them all, but I'm trying to figure out which ones to use for my "debut".

Attachments

• hallway.jpg
    hallway.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 174
  • monestery.jpg
    monestery.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 153
  • washmon.jpg
    washmon.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 130
  • cathedral1.jpg
    cathedral1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 130
  • cathedral2.jpg
    cathedral2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 134

ylexot

Super Genius
More pictures...

Attachments

• stein.jpg
    stein.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 138
  • PuertoRico.jpg
    PuertoRico.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 112
  • orchid.jpg
    orchid.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 153
  • ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 135
  • ludwig.jpg
    ludwig.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 122

janey83

Twenty Something
the composition, use of space, perspective, colors of the 1st one you posted is amazing...I'd def. debut that one :yay:

Agee

Nicely Done :yay:

IMO these two stand out:

Attachments

• monestery.jpg
    monestery.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 218
  • orchid.jpg
    orchid.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 212

BTE

Extra Ordinary
They are all great pics! If I had to pick my favorite 3...I'd say pics 1, 2 and 5. All from the first set.

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
I like number 4 from the first set, also the one with the burst of color above the building. all very nice though

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
I vote for #2 in the first set, #2 in the second set, and the last one.

Nice pics! :yay:

I agree on #2 in the 2nd set, the last one in the 2nd set, but on #2 in the 1st set, it is a great picture but there is too much barrier on the left of the picture, which would have changed with a 2-foot step to the right.

If I had to JUST pick one, I would say the last one in the second set.

BuddyLee

Football addict
If I had to choose three they would be the second picture in your first set, the second picture in your second set and the last picture in your last set. All are nice.:yay: What kind of camera do you use?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
1. I like a lot.
2. Looks like anyone with a camera could have shot it.
3. Too phallic.
4. Doesn’t pull your eye to anything
5. Were you lying down when you took that?
6. Just doesn’t do anything for me
7. Another neck breaker
8. Crisp, eye is drawn to the subject
9. I like it. It looks like something you’d see in a coffee table book.
10. I think I like this one is the best. It has depth but not so much that you miss the detail of the structure.
11. Your subject is too obstructed.

1 and 10.

ylexot

Super Genius
Thanks for all the comments everybody! I'll probably make a decision on Sunday, so if anyone else has any comments, keep 'em coming. Here are just some comments on all the pictures:

1st set, 1st pic - monastery in Lima, Peru, Digital Rebel, 28-135mm lens, just color tweaks
1st set, 2nd pic - monastery in Cuzco, Peru, DRebel, 28-135mm lens, took some major adjustments, the structure on the left was a religious structure constructed by the Inca prior to the invasion by the Spanish. The Spanish tore down most of it and built a cathedral/monastery on the foundation. So Kizzy, that's why I have so much there. Of course, without that information, it is kinda lost. Too bad I can't give background.
1st set, 3rd pic - Good Friday last year. The Catholic church does the stations of the cross on the mall. DRebel, 18-55mm lens, got rid of detail in the dark areas and boosted the color in the flags (hard to see in these small images).
1st set, 4th pic - Cathedral in Prague castle, DRebel, 12-24mm lens, didn't do much to it.
1st set, 5th pic - Munster Cathedral in Ulm, Germany, DRebel, 12-24mm lens (not laying down), didn't do much to it.
2nd set, 1st pic - One of King Ludwig's many castles in S. Germany, DRebel, can't remember which lens, didn't do much to it.
2nd set, 2nd pic - Same place, DRebel, can't remember which lens (probably 12-24mm), boosted the colors in the flowers.
2nd set, 3rd pic - Orchid on the path to Machu Picchu, Drebel, 28-135mm lens, boosted color and sharpened flower, blurred and decreased contrast in the background.
2nd set, 4th pic - El Morro in Puetro Rico, Sony U30, strangely, this is the only one that I didn't change at all (strange because it was my "low quality" camera).
2nd set, 5th pic - The ruins of my ancestral castle in Nassau, Germany, just tweaked the color some.
last one - Ulm, Germany, DRebel, 12-24mm lens, left the sky alone, but brightened up the rest to get detail. Unfortunately, I think I went too far and washed out the color. It looked better on the screen...time to get a monitor calibrator.

Oh yeah, there's also a "theme" competition and this time the theme is St. Mary's County. Here's my one and only picture for it. It's a sunset that I took over by St. Mary's College.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 105

ylexot

Super Genius
Animal said:
Are you short or just like shooting upwards?
:lol: I'm 6'2", so I'm not short.

Eye-level, horizontal (aka "normal") perspectives tend to be less interesting because that's what you see all the time.