"Home" Network...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anyone know if a "home network" is a viable alternative to three seperate PC's around the house?

I'm thinking a (1) "server" and three work stations (3 monitors, three keyboards) all in seperate locations around the house.

She needs a new one. I need one in the den and one for the kids. Figure $1,000 to $1,500 each, so then the budget is $3-5k or so.

Wireless maybe?

Is this do-able (a better/cheaper idea) or do I just have no clue what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
2nA could tell ya how he set up ours, but he's still banned.:frown:

SmallTown

Football season!
Wireless is an option. I don't know if the new higher speed option is available yet though. I'll have to check on that.

With the equipment out there, you don't really need a separate computer to act as a server. You can get a small home router and be able to share files, etc as well as share broadband internet wihtout the need of a dedicated computer. The wireless option is a bit more expensive, less secure, but the advantage is you can have the computers anywhere (within reason)

look at http://www.linksys.com/ and you'll get an idea on what you may need.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by SmallTown
Wireless is an option. I don't know if the new higher speed option is available yet though. I'll have to check on that.

With the equipment out there, you don't really need a separate computer to act as a server. You can get a small home router and be able to share files, etc as well as share broadband internet wihtout the need of a dedicated computer. The wireless option is a bit more expensive, less secure, but the advantage is you can have the computers anywhere (within reason)

look at http://www.linksys.com/ and you'll get an idea on what you may need.

I agree here. You don't need another server. With Windows XP you can network your other computers off of that one. Youll need a router, and probably a firewall ( I wouldn't recommend Windows XP firewall, try ZoneAlarm: www.zonealarm.com ).

As for wireless, it's fun, and probably worth it if you have laptops that you can just move around the house with... but SmallTown is right, it is less secure, and more expensive. If you have all desktops, I'd recommend just dealing with the cables and running them under the carpets or whatever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Small, what he's talking about is instead of having 3 separate computers in various locations in our house, having only one computer (he's calling it a server) that has three terminals using the same hard drive.

The wireless router comes in because we want to share our cable access but I don't want a bunch of wires running all over the place (the computers will be a good ways apart, upstairs and downstairs).

SeaRide

You mean three terminals ( monitors and keyboards) hook to one CPU server? That reminds me of VAX system in college.

SmallTown

Football season!
Vrai, thats what I thought he was talking about, but when he gave the price for each one thought maybe the idea was to have separate computers.

I have never messed with this type of network, just the kind I mentioned.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK,

Now that I've proved I have no idea what I am talking about :confused: what (thanks Sea and Vrai) I am trying to do is:

3 monitors, 3 keyboards, 1 cpu and whatever equipment, routers et al, easier and cheaper than 3 seperate "desk tops" ie, 3 monitors, 3 cpu's 3 keyboards.

Sounds like it probably ain't worth it, plus Vrai don't want no kids downloading the great unwashed on to anything that work depends on.

That and I see today that Dell (and I'm sure all the rest) have 1.8ghz w/ burners and a 15" for $500. Damn.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Small, what he's talking about is instead of having 3 separate computers in various locations in our house, having only one computer (he's calling it a server) that has three terminals using the same hard drive.

The wireless router comes in because we want to share our cable access but I don't want a bunch of wires running all over the place (the computers will be a good ways apart, upstairs and downstairs).

I think that by the time you buy a couple of thin-client computers, you're almost to a regular computer. (I just bought a Dell refurb at under $500 delivered.) On the specified $3-$5K budget, you can easily buy 3 nice computers and network them without worrying about a client-server network.

Go peer-to-peer and network them to your high speed internet access, and you can probably come in on the lower side of your budget.

Wireless is OK, but if you can run the wires, you'll be more satisfied. (Maybe a year or two down the road, wireless might be faster, cheaper and more secure.) The other downside about wireless is that you might not get your favorite, far-away radio station to come in, inside the house with a wireless network.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Larry Gude
Anyone know if a "home network" is a viable alternative to three seperate PC's around the house?

I'm thinking a (1) "server" and three work stations (3 monitors, three keyboards) all in seperate locations around the house.

She needs a new one. I need one in the den and one for the kids. Figure $1,000 to $1,500 each, so then the budget is $3-5k or so.

Wireless maybe?

Is this do-able (a better/cheaper idea) or do I just have no clue what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Hey is this the crap you're talking about, "Thin Client or WinTerm"? If so try this site http://www.vxl.net/

SmallTown

Football season!
Yea, with the price pf PCs down so far, it seems to make more sence just to have separate PCs (of course, easier for me to say sine I'm not the one spending the money on it!) but since the monitor makes up a big portion of the PC price, you won't be out a lot getting whole PCs

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by SmallTown
Yea, with the price pf PCs down so far, it seems to make more sence just to have separate PCs (of course, easier for me to say sine I'm not the one spending the money on it!) but since the monitor makes up a big portion of the PC price, you won't be out a lot getting whole PCs

I agree! You can go to a computer show (http://www.marketproshows.com/visitor/search.asp) and find systems for cheap. Forget about online 'cause the shipping will kill you.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty Easy

You can get a Dell Pentium 4 @ 2GHz for $650 Each.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_m_dimen4550.htm

Add A Linksys wireless Router for approx $100 (plugs into your cable modem to provide internet to all PCs on the net)

Add a Linksys wireless PC card into each PC $75@

Complete system ~= 2275 + shipping/tax

So, you prob have another $600 to buy a nice printer and some s/w

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.marketproshows.com/visitor/search.asp and find systems for cheap.

I went to my first and last marketpro show a few months ago. My advice is to stay away. Personally I think you can find better prices, along with support and a money back guarantee, on the Internet or from your local computer dealer. The prices at these shows really aren't that great - plus you need to factor in the fact that if there is a problem, you will never be able to find these guys again.

Also, based on the number of bootleg software packages I saw for sale, the local Sheriff's fraud squad would be well advised to show up and make some arrests for piracy and counterfeit merchandise.

If you want a good low cost system go see TQCI on Rt 235 in front of K-Mart. He has some nice AMD systems. He also carries motherboards and goodies like that if you want to build your own system.

H

Heretic

Ive been going to the marketpro shows for about a year now and have found excellent deals there. They are not for the "dumb" pc user however they are more for the do-it-yourself geeks. Just last week I got a 17 inch monitor for $30 and there isnt a thing wrong with it. Their prices on hard drives are too high however imho.

You can build yourself the PC that you want for under $500 if you so feel inclined and it will be better than anything you can buy. The only downfall is the software won't be there.

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by Admin
I went to my first and last marketpro show a few months ago. My advice is to stay away. Personally I think you can find better prices, along with support and a money back guarantee, on the Internet or from your local computer dealer. The prices at these shows really aren't that great - plus you need to factor in the fact that if there is a problem, you will never be able to find these guys again.

Also, based on the number of bootleg software packages I saw for sale, the local Sheriff's fraud squad would be well advised to show up and make some arrests for piracy and counterfeit merchandise.

If you want a good low cost system go see TQCI on Rt 235 in front of K-Mart. He has some nice AMD systems. He also carries motherboards and goodies like that if you want to build your own system.

I would not buy software at the computer show either. As far as prices for hardware, I have not found any better "overall" deals anywhere else (including www.pricewatch.com). The key is to select the dealers who are close to where you live and use them so that is you have issues, you can just go to their shop/store. (Usually) the only time I find better deals on the web is if they have a great deal which includes free shipping. I hate to buy major stuff on the net though cause in the past when I have to exchange something, it took up to 6 weeks. I had a Compaq that was still under warranty and it took almost 2 months to get it back after shipping it out to Texas. :burning: That was after it spent 3 weeks at Radio Shack! That is just my experience though... I know people who had better luck than I've had.

Last edited by a moderator: