Camera

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I've only had one digital camera so far, a Vivitar. It seemed to me that an optics company would be better for taking pics. So far it has done OK. It's so simple that my kids run around taking pictures all the time.

Elle

Happy Camper!
What features do you want it to have (zoom, short movies, etc.)? How often will you use it and what size prints do you need from it?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Look for a good optical zoom and a quick response that will show up as the number of pics per sec.
I have an older Nikon 2100 and it's got a crappy response time. There seems to be a couple of seconds delay between pushing the button and the picture being taken.
Electronic zooms just reduce the total image area.

Elle said:
What features do you want it to have (zoom, short movies, etc.)? How often will you use it and what size prints do you need from it?
Short delay, zoom, don't really need short movies but want full range of pic options ya know. Since I'm scrappin I will use often and usually just 4x6 prints

Elle

Happy Camper!
workin hard said:
Short delay, zoom, don't really need short movies but want full range of pic options ya know. Since I'm scrappin I will use often and usually just 4x6 prints
If I were to buy a new camera now, I'd probably go with the Sony Cyber Shot. I now have a 5 MP HP something, that's a good camera but just has a delay that I don't like. I also like the Fuji Fine Pix series. I think for just 4x6 prints a 3 MP is all you will need, however if there isn't much of a price difference I'd go for more. Make sure you look at the batteries also, a lot have special rechargeable batteries, mine takes regular AA which is convenient if you are out and the battery dies. Not sure what type of printer you have but maybe you would want to look into one of them as well. Kodak has a couple of bundle packages.

Tomcat

Anytime
Look for one with a good viewfinder, not the 2" video display, but one you can look through. You cannot take a good picture holding the camera at arms length in front of you looking at the video display. (just my $.02 worth)

ylexot

Super Genius
Tomcat said:
Look for one with a good viewfinder, not the 2" video display, but one you can look through. You cannot take a good picture holding the camera at arms length in front of you looking at the video display. (just my $.02 worth)
Actually, the LCD is typically much better for taking pictures than the optical viewfinder because A) viewfinders are offset from the lens causing paralax issues and B) they typically do not show the full image (usually around 70-80%). I've taken many good pictures without a viewfinder. It just takes a little getting used to if you've been using viewfinders all your life. Tip: Don't hold it at arms length.

Elle

Happy Camper!
If I were you, I'd just decide what features I want and then go to Staples, Target, Sears, CC, anywhere that sells them and play with a few cameras, they should all have a display area with power cords so you can use it before you buy it. What works best for some may not be what you want.

ylexot

Super Genius
Elle said:
If I were you, I'd just decide what features I want and then go to Staples, Target, Sears, CC, anywhere that sells them and play with a few cameras, they should all have a display area with power cords so you can use it before you buy it. What works best for some may not be what you want.
True, but don't buy there. You can easily find significantly cheaper prices online.

Tomcat

Anytime
ylexot said:
Actually, the LCD is typically much better for taking pictures than the optical viewfinder because A) viewfinders are offset from the lens causing paralax issues and B) they typically do not show the full image (usually around 70-80%). I've taken many good pictures without a viewfinder. It just takes a little getting used to if you've been using viewfinders all your life. Tip: Don't hold it at arms length.
I did say "a good viewfinder" I have a Pentax digital SLR so I am looking through the lens to see what I am taking a picture of. Many of the newer digital cameras have "electronic" viewfinders (a very small lcd inside the viewfinder) similiar to an SLR. Basic photography, by looking through the viewfinder(whatever type) you are in effect creating your own tripod. With the camera up to your eye(forehead) and both arms at on your chest you have created a stable platform from which to take a picture. Much more stable than just 2 arms infront of you.