Cable Modems

dolphin

I have cable TV and am getting a computer next month and was thinking about getting the cable modem. Does anyone know if you have to have your computer near your TV for this to work? I have my TV on one side of the room and want my computer on the other side but I don't want cables all over the room. I live in a condo so there are only so many ways to set the living room up.. Can anyone help me?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If there is another cable outlet on the wall on the other side of the room they should be able to hook up the cable modem from that outlet. If not, under the carpet or around the wall.

dolphin

That is what I thought. Thanks for the help..
I will be thinking of ways to rearrange my room now, because I don't want them to have to tear my carpet up..

SeaRide

If you got just one TV, then it's okay to have a splitter and a 2nd run of cable from the splitter to the cable modem on the other side of the room. I learned the hard way at my house. I have splitter for three TVs and couldn't get my cable modem to work. So I had to install a dedicated cable only for the cable modem and it works great. I had to install the new cable from where the cable come thru the wall in the basement near the fusebox and run it all the way to the computer room. Just thought I'd share this info.

Y

yornoc

Dolphin,

Something to think about...

There was a special for free installation when I got mine and the cable guy did all the work... from running new wire to configuring the computer. Check it out and if it is still available, just sit back and watch them do the work.

If you are in Comcast's area, make sure you check it out!

Good luck.

John Z

if you will
I'm sure I'm too late on this thread to be useful. If I'm not, then I'd like to second what SeaRide says. Basically, to get the best signal to the modem, you put a splitter on the cable where it comes into the house (or even before the cable enters the house). Run one of the two sides to your existing TV network, and the other straight to your cable modem.

I got a cable modem several month ago, from Comcast. Essentially I did all the work myself, running a new length of double-shielded cable into my computer room, fishing the wire down the wall, etc. I did this because I heard that the installer wouldn't "fish walls". When he arrived, he said he woulda done it himself no problem. Oh well. :biggrin:

And honestly, your cable modem doesn't have to be right next to your PC, as long as the output from the cable modem is an ethernet wire. It simply needs to plug into the cable and a power outlet. The ethernet wire then runs to your PC. If you use USB, I think you have to have the cable modem within 15 feet (the max length for USB cables).

dolphin

Okay thanks for all the info.. I acutally live in St. Mary's and the cable company is GMP. So I called them and they told me to buy a modem and then bring it to them so they could do something to it.. So I am doing that when I leave work today. And as for the comptuer being by the TV.. I did find away to set it up near the TV so that problem is solved.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by dolphin
Okay thanks for all the info.. I acutally live in St. Mary's and the cable company is GMP. So I called them and they told me to buy a modem and then bring it to them so they could do something to it.. So I am doing that when I leave work today. And as for the comptuer being by the TV.. I did find away to set it up near the TV so that problem is solved.

Buy a Motorola SurfBoard (I think mine is a 4200?) You can take it to them or you can just take the tag from the back of the modem to them. (My modem had about 4 copies of the tag in the box.

They need the MAC ID/Address for the unit. They authotize that modem ID to access their system, and you're in business.

BTW - it's great! I've had a cable modem for almost 18 months, and I don't miss the 56K days at all!

Christy

b*tch rocket
GMP will run a cable to wherever you want it. At least they did when we had ours installed about a year ago.

Incidentally, as of Monday we now have two way cable rather than the one way cable, and it is so awesome!! I just can't tear myself away from the old computer now. I think I need help! :twitch: Anybody need anything downloaded? :twitch: :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
I need a list! I think I've downloaded the internet! :wink:

I'm searching Amazon.com and radio station websites for song ideas! I think I've hit rock bottom, I believe I've downloaded every single David Allen Coe filthy song collection! :lmao: