In Defense of Britney Spears

watercolor

yeah yeah
Lately I have come across alot.... need I repeat again alot of people who have been bashing the name of britney spears. Now it is your choice not to listen to the music, whatever you choose but in regards to a comment I was hearing from someone , of this girl saying that Britney Spears does not even know how much of a role model she is to younger girls she is and how she is showing, its ok to go dress like she does, but its FOR SHOWS..

But then she went and said that Mandy Moore and Jessica Simpson were great role models and that they dont expose their bodies and what not and that their music is not contraversial...well lemme tell ya... that is so wrong!

For the simple fact that their is a song that Jessica Simpson sings about loosing control and she could not fight the heat of the moment. Pop culture has become a way to branch out of the norm and a way to bring new and exciting sounds to the world. Not saying that the pop industry is right in what they do and that the performer should have a right to do what they want and all, ie: being themselves, wearing what they want, etc.

well first of all I have to disagree with statements I have heard. For the simple fact, that she is not out to be someones role model she is out making "her" living, and also she is not out there to raise the little girls that look at her, if the parents do not know how to keep clothes on their children then they are not doing their job or "watching" their children.

I can show you thousands of normal everyday clothes, but when she is "putting on a show" or she is posing for magazine pictures they dress them in "costumes"...that is how show biz is. So give it a second thought also on the whole mention of Jessica Simpson,... has anyone actually listened to the words in one of her newest songs talking about she just got lost in the in the heat of the moment and that is was a accident but she would never take it back. Do you even know what she is talking about. I am sure you are smart enough to figure it out. She being a preachers daughter and beliveing in the Lord of all people should not be singing a song about something like that, but welcome to the real world.

The world of pop culture, and sorry to say but sex sells, I dont agree with that at all, but to go and say that Britney is a roll model and should not be doing this cause of the little girls under 18 are looking up to her.

She is out there cause she has talent and she knows that the business industry wants it, and she is making "her" living. Once again it is not up to her to raise those girls, it is up to the parents. And yes this is a sick world but if pop stars are raising children and not parents that prooves to be more sick than anything.

Parents should be the BIGGEST infulence and they should talk to their children. They can have free will but there are boundries and to blame this on a performer is bad judgement on anyones part. Sorry if you disagree, but feel free to say your peice. Its up to you

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Too bad for Britney - if she didn't want to be criticized, she shouldn't have chased fame so hard. Some female performers HAVE to take their clothes off to make up for their lack of talent.

I agree with you, WC, that parents need to monitor what their kids are listening to and what pop cultural fads are influencing them. My kids have always chosen real people as role models, not some vapid celebrity, so that sort of thing isn't an issue in our house. Unfortunately, in homes all across America, people ARE letting pop singers and actors raise their children.

The best thing that ever happened to me was when Justin whats-his-face blared out on the radio that he'd slept with Britney, even though she was trying to say she was still a virgin. My girls were like, "What a jerk!" and I said, "Well, yeah - that's what immature guys do. That's why you don't have sex with them."

So thank you, Justin and Britney - you gave my daughters a lesson that they might have had to learn on their own!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I agree with you, WC, that parents need to monitor what their kids are listening to and what pop cultural fads are influencing them. My kids have always chosen real people as role models, not some vapid celebrity, so that sort of thing isn't an issue in our house. Unfortunately, in homes all across America, people ARE letting pop singers and actors raise their children.

Well of course you agree with me Vrai...cause I am right. :lol::wink:

But see, fortunatly your children were brought up to understand what is ok and what is not obviously. I am so sick of these parents blaming pop stars/movie stars/etc on their childs behavior. Why? The parents are their legal gaurdians, not the stars, and they should have the ultimate say. But of course not, because they are the ones that need the pitty, saying "it wasn't me...they listen to the stars". OMM HELLO...if that is the case then you need to look at your parenting skills. :rolleyes:

Too bad for Britney - if she didn't want to be criticized, she shouldn't have chased fame so hard. Some female performers HAVE to take their clothes off to make up for their lack of talent.

Also, yes, you are right, she should be able to take the heat with the productions she puts on. But, she should not be critisized by the parents who dont know how to be a "parent"

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, but you have to admit that the current pop culture doesn't help. Kids are always going to be influenced by that stuff.

Even LL Cool J toned down his act once he had kids because he realized the detrimental effect a violent pop culture has on kids. He was on some morning show promoting his new book a few weeks ago and he said that he was always the one who said it's not his responsibility to raise other people's kids. Then he realized that ghetto black kids who don't have parental influences at home were looking to rap and sports heros for guidance. So he felt that he, as a black man and pop figure, was doing a disservice to these kids by promoting violence and disrespect to women. The whole interview was just amazing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Plus that, parenting is just damn hard work. It would be nice to not have to monitor everything they're watching on TV, every CD they buy, every movie they go to.

Can I get an amen, parents?

That said, Britney is the LEAST of our pop cultural problems out there. She's not nearly as bad as some of these bands that the kids are listening to. Some kid gave my daughter a Godsmack CD for her birthday and I about hit the friggin' roof!

K

Kain99

This thread hit's so close to home! I have major personal issues with parents who blame pop music, television and video games for their children's behavior!

But here comes the tricky part - Gargbage in Garbage Out! Parents are responsible to raise their children to do the right thing! On the other hand if we allow them to fill their heads with trash non stop we are taking an unacceptable risk!

I watched 8 mile today... I was very impressed with Eminem's success against the odds and all but I still have major apprehensions about allowing his "music" in my home.

So, should Brittany flaunt her stuff on stage without regard for her role model status? I have to say No!

With fame comes responsibilty! Not all kids have Moms and Dads who do a good job. Some kids come home to parents who have no business being parents. So what then?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99

So, should Brittany flaunt her stuff on stage without regard for her role model status? I have to say No!

With fame comes responsibilty! Not all kids have Moms and Dads who do a good job. Some kids come home to parents who have no business being parents. So what then?

People like brittamy and Eminem would lean over to those parents and whipser "Don't blame me for your lack of parenting"

I have grown up listening to parents talk about how these musicians are not great role models and such. And the music YOU listened to was not the same way? Coming from a time where the only way to enjoy music and have fun was to be stoned out of your mind, I hardly think showing a little skin is going to be that damaging.. I guess all the pot they smoked growing up has hampered their sence of reasoning.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do you know, Kain, that that's almost EXACTLY what LL Cool J said?
:cheers:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by SmallTown
People like brittamy and Eminem would lean over to those parents and whipser "Don't blame me for your lack of parenting"

I guess all the pot they smoked growing up has hampered their sence of reasoning.

OMG Do SmallTown and I agree?? Whopee... Ye Ha! Yippee! maybe your not so Daw - Gone bad after all!

Vrai baby, LL must be one heck of a smart cookie to have stated the exact same thing I did! He's sitting here in my hip pocket right now but don't tell anyone!

kel22

i'm not really a big fan of britney spears, but i don't feel that she's some she-devil that people are making her out to be. So what she dresses the way she does, so does everybody else out there in the entertainment business!!!!! why single her out!!! and it seems like parents are always trying to find a way to pin the blame on someone else influencing their kids!!! i feel that your children should not have to look to someone else to be a role model, they should look to you, and if they are looking to someone else then you're doing something wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I agree with you, WC, that parents need to monitor what their kids are listening to and what pop cultural fads are influencing them.

As the father of two little girls, I second that emotion.

You know why I don't like Britney? She's a hypocrite. She pretends that her fans are mostly preteen girls. Most of her "fans" are aging computer geeks who would only buy her albums if they came with nude photo spreads.

Notice how the teen girl singers dress and act to turn on adult men. But you don't seem teen boy singers like Timberlake dressing and acting to turn on adult women.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio

Notice how the teen girl singers dress and act to turn on adult men. But you don't seem teen boy singers like Timberlake dressing and acting to turn on adult women.

Have you heard his latest song? Going by his voice, I would say he IS a woman... or just has a rubberband wrapped around his privates. The last male singer I know that could reach those octaves was Mr. Jackson, and we know what kind of normal guy he turned out to be.

I say play the hand you are dealt. don't hate brit for dressing that way, hate the ones that keep her in business by buying her stuff ( I don't. I just download the MP3s and pics online :biggrin: )

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by watercolor23
She is out there cause she has talent and she knows that the business industry wants it, and she is making "her" living. Once again it is not up to her to raise those girls, it is up to the parents. And yes this is a sick world but if pop stars are raising children and not parents that prooves to be more sick than anything.

Sorry, but the girl has NO talent, therefore she has to take her clothes off to compensate. That girl couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag. She can dance her butt off, but a dying cat sounds better than her!

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: In Defense of Britney Spears

Originally posted by ememdee19
Sorry, but the girl has NO talent, therefore she has to take her clothes off to compensate. That girl couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag. She can dance her butt off, but a dying cat sounds better than her!

And she dances her cute little butt right to the bank.

fuzzyng

OH MY HECK! Her thread was resurected to be dumped on ...(not by everyone...but...) GEEZE!

:offtopic: LEAVE my baby's thread alone, you have plenty other selections to bombard. I actually take pride in this commentary of her's above.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by fuzzyng
OH MY HECK! Her thread was resurected to be dumped on ...(not by everyone...but...) GEEZE!

:offtopic: LEAVE my baby's thread alone, you have plenty other selections to bombard. I actually take pride in this commentary of her's above.

But geeze fuzzy, she was talking about Britney Spears for crap's sake. She's the Queen of Gossip nowadays. I give her :boo: :boo: , but her boy Timberlake...now that's a different story.........:yum: