HANS vs Hutchens

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Last paragraph, bottom of page...

Has the Hutchens Device ~ever~ looked like it would protect the driver? It's a little nylon harness, sometimes sewn to the driving suit, and strapped under the arms and around the torso.

The HANS is a significant piece of hardware, attaching to the helmet and strapped in with the driver's shoulder belt. No risk of whiplash to the driver, with that baby. This year, NASCAR has restricted their drivers to HANS only. ARCA wasn't smart enough to follow suit. The result? Fused 2/3 vertabrae for injured driver Billy Venturini after Saturday night's crashfest.

Will this quiet Tony Stewart, and Rusty Wallace who have complained that they can't wear the Hutchens device any longer, and the HANS makes them uncomfortable in their racecar.

I suspect the halo Venturini is wearing is pretty uncomfortable, 24/7. :ohwell:

Why can't these drivers figure out that if the car stops suddenly, and their head keeps going, something bad is going to happen?

Thank God for the HANS. I enjoy the sport too much to see these guys have head and neck injuries, or worse...

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Tony Stewart is testing some options with the HANS device. His problem was that he broke his clavicle several years ago, and the positioning of the device causes major discomfort (and thus distraction) to him when he's driving. :ohwell:

Rusty Wallace ... well, he's just pizzing and whining as usual. They must've turned down his request for a pension. :duh:

Agee

Oz said:
Why can't these drivers figure out that if the car stops suddenly, and their head keeps going, something bad is going to happen?

Thank God for the HANS. I enjoy the sport too much to see these guys have head and neck injuries, or worse...
Unfortuately, it took the death of Dale Earnhardt to push NASCAR to mandate the use of these devices.