Bogus Ending to the Daytona 500

B

Bruzilla

I took my sons down to Daytona for the race, and we had a great time even though Gordo won. But I'm pretty ticked about how the race ended. We were on our feet screaming for Wallace or Martin to win, and all of a sudden the yellow flag comes out. We were looking for a wreck, but there was nothing. There were no repair or cleaning crews, nothing. Then the race restarts and they had the multi-car and went back to yellow.

This morning on the way into work, Sam Kouvaris, one of our local newscasters, was talking on the radio about the last yellow being a bogus "debris on the track" caution because the race was going too fast and Fox needed to stretch it out to 6:00. He was up in the Fox broadcasting center and he said he saw the Fox guys talking to the NASCAR guys, then the yellow came out and they immediately went to a commercial.

I didn't see the broadcast, but I can tell you there was no debris on the field, and no one cleaning it up during that yellow. The fact that the end of the race came as it did, with the cars barely able to get back up to speed before the end, and all for the sake of making the race last till 6:00, really torques me!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Bruzilla said:
The fact that the end of the race came as it did, with the cars barely able to get back up to speed before the end,
Didn't they run two laps under green at the end?

willie

They said it was oil but I was wondering why they were not cleaning it up wherever it was???? I love it when my guy loses his cool and plays bumpercar after the flag.......that's what it's all about.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Bruzilla said:
....., was talking on the radio about the last yellow being a bogus "debris on the track" caution because the race was going too fast and Fox needed to stretch it out to 6:00. He was up in the Fox broadcasting center and he said he saw the Fox guys talking to the NASCAR guys, then the yellow came out and they immediately went to a commercial.

I believe the next to last yellow(the so-called "bogus" one) was for debris, someone scraped the wall and I remember seeing it happen and saying here comes a yellow. Can't remember who scraped the wall but sheet metal definitely came off and it was visible on TV.

B

Bruzilla

otter said:
I believe the next to last yellow(the so-called "bogus" one) was for debris, someone scraped the wall and I remember seeing it happen and saying here comes a yellow. Can't remember who scraped the wall but sheet metal definitely came off and it was visible on TV.

I think the rub you're thinking of was when Stewart bumped somebody. But like I said, there was nobody on the track doing any cleaning of anything during that yellow. We kept waiting for someone to drop below the yellow line or for crews to go out on the track, but neither happened.

B

Bruzilla

aps45819 said:
Didn't they run two laps under green at the end?

Yes, but it takes about 1.5 laps to really get up to speed. Had they not done that TV time out, as it were, the race would have ended with plenty of full-speed laps... the way it should end.

BTW, the new infield is SPECTACULAR!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Caution 11 - Laps 198 - 199: #9-Kahne slapped the wall.

Caution 10 - Laps 189 - 192: #99-Edwards slowed, #23-Skinner hit the #99 then got rear-ended #77-Kvapil got into the #23 and spun, #14-Andretti got onto Skinner. #9-Kahne got spun around by #88-Jarrett

Caution 9 - Laps 184 - 188: #16-Biffle gets loose, gets into #10-Riggs and spins, #22-Wimmer, #29-Harvick, #42-McMurray all slid and spun, Wimmer flipped a few times but is OK.

Caution 8 - Laps 169 - 173: #14-Andretti shot up, hit #77-Kvapil, came down and collected #11-Leffler.

Caution 7 - Laps 162 - 165: #15-Waltrip smacked the wall after losing an engine.

Caution 6 - Laps 154 - 157: Debris in turn 4

Caution 5 - Laps 144 - 147: Debris in turn 2

Caution 4 - Laps 105 - 108: Debris just past the start-finish line

Caution 3 - Laps 86 - 89: Debris on the tri-oval and 3rd turn

Caution 2 - Laps 26 - 29: #21-Rudd lost a tire, spun and collected #36-Said, #38-Sadler, #5-Busch, #99-Edwards, #4-Wallace. #4 and #5 had the most damage.

Caution 1 - Laps 15 - 18: #18-Labonte's engine explodes

Otter

Nothing to see here
Musta been the last caution, as you said, but on TV, I definitely saw debris come off the 9 car.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
otter said:
Musta been the last caution, as you said, but on TV, I definitely saw debris come off the 9 car.

I saw debris too.....BUT....Fox has lots & lots of money tied up in NASCAR, so don't think for one minute that they don't suggest to NASCAR things like that.....AND...I bet NASCAR jumps when they suggest something.... :lmao:

POOH

Ugly women send me karma.
wall was hit at 4:59 (there was debris)
caution was at 5:00
race restarted at 5:06
race ended at 5:08
infield burn out 5:10
24 pulls into winners circle 5:12

So was it extended?????

big_poppa

Go Rusty and Mark

I have been a RW fan for the better part of my life, about 15 years of it to be exact which only leaves another 8 that I lived before rooting for him. I would have loved to have seen either one of those guys pull of their first ever 500 victory in their last attempt, but fate had other plans. Why the gay man had to win I don't know, I guess it was just in the stars that a ### would wear that crown for this racing season. Anyway there was debris on the track after Kahne hit the wall, I think NASCAR did a great thing by going green, white, checkered. You guys should be thanking NASCAR for having a finish like that, before that rule was put in last year that damn race would have ended under caution, then everyone would be pissed. I hate the way it turned out, but I don't blame NASCAR I thank them for letting it finish with the cars racing!!! Heres to the season, may every driver have good luck and Gordon wreck every race from here on out!!!!!!

Bonehead

Who gives a flying rats aZZ. Left turn left left turn left turn....how is this crap considered a sport. :getdown: I see too many azzholes trying to imitate their favotite driver on the road to work, grow up for christ's sake!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Bonehead said:
Who gives a flying rats aZZ. Left turn left left turn left turn....how is this crap considered a sport. :getdown: I see too many azzholes trying to imitate their favotite driver on the road to work, grow up for christ's sake!

Great name, dude..

Tomcat

Anytime
big_poppa said:
, I think NASCAR did a great thing by going green, white, checkered. You guys should be thanking NASCAR for having a finish like that, before that rule was put in last year that damn race would have ended under caution, then everyone would be pissed. I hate the way it turned out, but I don't blame NASCAR I thank them for letting it finish with the cars racing!!! Heres to the season, may every driver have good luck and Gordon wreck every race from here on out!!!!!!
:yeahthat: Green, white, checkered, best move they've made :yay: