Need an Old Timer (1971) Question Answered

B

Bruzilla

I was looking at a 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner that's for sale, and the asking price is $15,000. I have my suspicions that this car is not a Road Runner, but a Satellite that's been marked up as a Road Runner. One of the big concerns that I have is that the car has (what are reported to be) original bucket seats, but the shifter is on the column. Every Plymouth of that era that I've seen that had bucket seats had a console shifter. Has anyone ever seen an early 70's MOPAR with bucket seats and a column shifter?

morganj614

Bruzilla said:
I was looking at a 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner that's for sale, and the asking price is $15,000. I have my suspicions that this car is not a Road Runner, but a Satellite that's been marked up as a Road Runner. One of the big concerns that I have is that the car has (what are reported to be) original bucket seats, but the shifter is on the column. Every Plymouth of that era that I've seen that had bucket seats had a console shifter. Has anyone ever seen an early 70's MOPAR with bucket seats and a column shifter?
Did you get the vin number of the car? You could run that to see but I am sure there are some car guys here that would know.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Bruzilla said:

Friend of mine had a 70 Roadrunner set up like that...There has to be a way to check the VIN number and see what configuration it came from the factory.

B

Bruzilla

Unfortunately, there's no difference between a Road Runner and Satellite VIN back then. That's always been great when getting insurance, as I've always registered my cars as Satellites for lower rates. :smile: The only real way that I've know to definately tell the two apart is to pull the build sheet out from under the front seat, but of course, there isn't one in this car. The seat covers are new, the carpet is new, so the build sheet is history.

But, my concern is that when I see a column shifter, I expect to see a bench seat, not buckets.

It's a nice car, but I don't want to drop 15K on a 7K Satellite.

B

Bruzilla

Oh, and another thing! This is a very base-model Road Runner (if it's a Road Runner.) It has the mono-color interior, base 383 engine, etc., but it's got the Rally dash with the 150-MPH speedo. I've always seen Road Runners with the 120-MPH dash when they've had bucket seats, and the standard dash when they had bench seats. I've only seen stock 150-MPH speedos in the 440+6 and Hemi cars. Why would there be a 150-MPH speedo in a base 383 car? I don't think that was an option back then???

Otter

Nothing to see here
Bruzilla said:
Oh, and another thing! This is a very base-model Road Runner (if it's a Road Runner.) It has the mono-color interior, base 383 engine, etc., but it's got the Rally dash with the 150-MPH speedo. I've always seen Road Runners with the 120-MPH dash when they've had bucket seats, and the standard dash when they had bench seats. I've only seen stock 150-MPH speedos in the 440+6 and Hemi cars. Why would there be a 150-MPH speedo in a base 383 car? I don't think that was an option back then???

You're taxing my memory, I can't take it anymore..:lmao:

B

Bruzilla

Me too. I think I'll just keep looking for the 73/74 Road Runner that I really want.

B

Bruzilla

Tomcat said:
Maybe you can find a good one here

Here's one they just sold

And just because it's a fake may not be all that bad

I've got no problem with clone cars, provided they are identified and priced accordingly. A genuine Roadrunner in that conditon warrants $15k, a clone is worth about $9k.

Ed_DeGagne

Bruzilla said:
Unfortunately, there's no difference between a Road Runner and Satellite VIN back then. That's always been great when getting insurance, as I've always registered my cars as Satellites for lower rates. :smile: The only real way that I've know to definately tell the two apart is to pull the build sheet out from under the front seat, but of course, there isn't one in this car. The seat covers are new, the carpet is new, so the build sheet is history.

But, my concern is that when I see a column shifter, I expect to see a bench seat, not buckets.

It's a nice car, but I don't want to drop 15K on a 7K Satellite.

The VIN numbers where not the same between Satelites and Road Runners.

Road Runners started with "RM"

Satelites started with either "RH", "RL", or "RP".

The "M" designation (2nd digit) was for 68-74 Road Runner, 70 Super Bird, 72-74 Road Runner GTX, 68-70 Coronet Super Bee, 71 Charger Super Bee.

"M" codes were never on any model Satelites.

See More Here

Ed_DeGagne

Bruzilla said:

The Rallye dash option, which has the 150 mph speedo, was avaliable on the Road Runner regardless of engine size, both big block and small block.

This was not based on seat configurartion either.

But to answer your original question, YES, you could option Road Runners in 1971 with a bench seat and column shifter (for automatics) if you so desired.

But make no mistake, the VIN #'s are NOT the same between RR's and Satellites. If you go see this car (or any Road Runner) and it doesn't start with "RM" on the VIN, then it is no real Road Runner, as well, if you see a Satellite with "RM" as the first digits, it's no Satellite.

:cheers:

Last edited: