Interest in Establishing a Dog Park

woodchuck70

I'm your huckleberry!
After reading several of the posts in here I have noticed that there really isn't a dog park in St. Mary's the closest one is in Waldorf. And as some of us are not the biggest fans of 45 minute drives with our pups, would anyone be interested in starting a dog park? :huggy:

"Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

spirit

I own Pet Paradise Kennels. I have two fenced in fields--one with agility equipment. We offer the use of the fields for $10.00 per month. Feel free to call 3014752142 for more info as a temporary solution. I have about 5 families taking advantage of it for their dogs.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
spirit said:
I own Pet Paradise Kennels. I have two fenced in fields--one with agility equipment. We offer the use of the fields for $10.00 per month. Feel free to call 3014752142 for more info as a temporary solution. I have about 5 families taking advantage of it for their dogs.

There is a start, Magnum! :cartwheel

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
There is something already started within the county govt about a dog park. There was a petition going on to see what the interest of this would be and they are looking into where to put it along with the money to put up fence and so on.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Sounds like a good use for all of the "parkland" at Myrtle Point...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
This thread gives me a great idea. We just had our property, 3 acres, fenced with a really nice secure fence. I've been looking to change jobs and work closer to or at home. Hmmmm...you say $10 a dog for how long?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
you say $10 a dog for how long?

'Til it poops. Get about 50 dogs involved, then you'll have enough beer money for a party to clean it up! :lmao:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Yeah, I read the thread again. At $10 a month, I would starve. I need to charge $10 an hour and have quite a few dogs or keep dragging my butt to DC every day. :sad:

bernsm

Dog Park

I am a board member of St. Mary's Animal Welfare League (SMAWL). We recently contacted Phil Rollins of Recreation and Parks for the county. They are planning on submitting a grant application to the State this summer requesting funds to construct an off-leash dog park at Lancaster Park which is located on Willows Road in Lexington Park. If they aren't successful with the State grant, then they will consider asking the County Commissioners to fund the project with County funds next year (FY 2007).

I wish it were going to happen sooner but at least it's a start.

woodchuck70

I'm your huckleberry!
bernsm said:
If they aren't successful with the State grant, then they will consider asking the County Commissioners to fund the project with County funds next year (FY 2007).

I have a group willing to do all of the manual labor and fund raising if we could just get a plot of land approved. I figure this would make for an excellent Eagle project for one of the local Boy Scout Troops. And I already have a couple of interested individuals.
:biggrin:

woodchuck70

I'm your huckleberry!
Not meaning to bump this thread, but anyone hear anything new yet? I know the fun of dealing with the intentionally unproductive government. But I would like to see a free community dog park around here, in my dog's lifetime.

somdcrab

woodchuck70 said:
Not meaning to bump this thread, but anyone hear anything new yet? I know the fun of dealing with the intentionally unproductive government. But I would like to see a free community dog park around here, in my dog's lifetime.

try the Brass Rail fri and sat nites and from what Do What tells me Rosies in the park is an excellent choice

woodchuck70

I'm your huckleberry!
:killingme Alright clearly I will be resolved to my pup just playing in the yard. Love The County, such a great place to live as long as you don't want to do anything. :yay: