Daytona 500 Payouts

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Can someone explain to me the payouts from the 500? Check out this link ... One would think the payouts would be highest to lowest depending on where you finished; but they're not, even though it's the finish order from the race. For instance, Ryan Newman, who finished in 19th (one spot after Mike Bliss), got almost twice as much as Bliss did. :confused:

The only answer I can think of is that awards are also based on owner points, perhaps? :shrug:

Tomcat

Anytime
:confused: Part of it has to do with points, you get extra points (and money) for leading laps etc. Then there's sponsor and contingincey money. Ever notice all the stickers on the front fenders of the cars? For the most part, they're all in the same spot on each car. For example Moog engine parts may be on the right front fender in front of the wheel. If you have that sticker on your car (in the proper place) you can get money from that sponsor. Some companies sponsor laps. For example if Gatorade sponsors lap 150 and you have the sticker on your car in the right place, and you lead that lap, they'll give you money. There's a lot more to it but I hope this helps some.

John Z

if you will
Hmm, that's interesting. I've never followed points, or winnings, or even NASCAR, but you would think $$ would directly relate to the placement of the car. You are probably right about owner points, but you would think those points would show up in the table that you linked....

John Z

if you will
Tomcat said:
:....For example if Gatorade sponsors lap 150 and you have the sticker on your car in the right place, and you lead that lap, they'll give you money...

Ha, ha, that is great! The nerdy stats loving types must go crazy trying to keep track of all those little bonus points/dollars! Do you think the drivers are told by their crew to bump it up a click on a certain lap so they can get the "Snickers lap bonus" because he has four Snickers stickers on the car? :lmao:

Maybe all this bonus stuff and points will make me a NASCAR fan now.

Mikeinsmd

crabcake said:
Can someone explain to me the payouts from the 500? Check outurl="http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2005/data/standings_official.html"]this link[/url] ... One would think the payouts would be highest to lowest depending on where you finished; but they're not, even though it's the finish order from the race. For instance, Ryan Newman, who finished in 19th (one spot after Mike Bliss), got almost twice as much as Bliss did. :confused:
The only answer I can think of is that awards are also based on owner points, perhaps? :shrug:
There is a funky system in place. If you look at last years winnings you will see that Jr won the most even though he didn't win the championship or the most races. Look at the winnings of some of the lesser veterans (Labonte's), they won more than some of the top 10 guys..... Nascar had an article on it not too long ago. You could probably do a search & get the answer...

crabcake

Tomcat said:
:confused: Part of it has to do with points, you get extra points (and money) for leading laps etc. Then there's sponsor and contingincey money. Ever notice all the stickers on the front fenders of the cars? For the most part, they're all in the same spot on each car. For example Moog engine parts may be on the right front fender in front of the wheel. If you have that sticker on your car (in the proper place) you can get money from that sponsor. Some companies sponsor laps. For example if Gatorade sponsors lap 150 and you have the sticker on your car in the right place, and you lead that lap, they'll give you money. There's a lot more to it but I hope this helps some.
Actually, I don't think that is correct. Nascar and individual team sponsorships are two separate issues. Those payouts listed are what the driver won for his finish in the race; they don't comprise that AND sponsorship dollars. So "MOOG" stickers and stuff have nothing to do with those numbers (or a few of 'em, like Dale Jr) would have been much higher.

Also, as far as leading laps, that part I'm aware of ... but those extra points (I didn't think) wouldn't garner you extra cash for one race; rather, it helps you in the overall season points race and getting into the chase for the cup, which is, again, separate from that individual race finish and thus the payouts. :ohwell:

But I appreciate your input/hypothesis. :kiss:

Tomcat

Anytime
John Z said:
Ha, ha, that is great! :lmao:
Maybe all this bonus stuff and points will make me a NASCAR fan now.
Not a laughing matter, if you're leading the Coke a Cola 400 at the 1/2 way point and get an extra $50,000 or whatever. At Daytona Bobby Labonte made $300,000 for running 14 laps before his engine blew up.

Tomcat

Anytime
crabcake said:
Actually, I don't think that is correct. Nascar and individual team sponsorships are two separate issues.
I'm not talking about "team sponsorships" It's called contigency money, and yes, having the right sticker in the right place gets you money if you're in the race.

crabcake

Tomcat said:
I'm not talking about "team sponsorships" It's called contigency money, and yes, having the right sticker in the right place gets you money if you're in the race.
But does NASCAR/Nextel pay that, or does the sponsor pay it? If the sponsor pays it, I'd think it wouldn't be included in the payout amount for the race as that's a separate deal. :confused:

Tomcat

Anytime
OK, go to this page and compare the figures to the ones from your page in question. Scroll all the way to the bottom, "contigency awards" Look at Dale Jarrrett's figures in the two lists, he got $50,000 from Budweiser for sitting on the pole, even though UPS is his sponsor. Looks like Tony Stewart made an extra $50,000 or so from various contigency sponsors.

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Actually, I don't think that is correct. Nascar and individual team sponsorships are two separate issues. Those payouts listed are what the driver won for his finish in the race; they don't comprise that AND sponsorship dollars. So "MOOG" stickers and stuff have nothing to do with those numbers (or a few of 'em, like Dale Jr) would have been much higher.

Also, as far as leading laps, that part I'm aware of ... but those extra points (I didn't think) wouldn't garner you extra cash for one race; rather, it helps you in the overall season points race and getting into the chase for the cup, which is, again, separate from that individual race finish and thus the payouts. :ohwell:

He is correct, they have "packages" that all bundle together in the prize money.

Last edited:

crabcake

Tomcat said:
OK, go to this page and compare the figures to the ones from your page in question. Scroll all the way to the bottom, "contigency awards" Look at Dale Jarrrett's figures in the two lists, he got $50,000 from Budweiser for sitting on the pole, even though UPS is his sponsor. Looks like Tony Stewart made an extra $50,000 or so from various contigency sponsors.
Okay ... Matt Kenseth isn't listed (yet got a bigger paycheck than the 3 guys above him); Bobby Labonte isn't listed as receiving a contingency award; neither is Michael Waltrip, Ryan Newman, Jeff Burton, and several others. I could see those contingency award winners having a higher payout, but the rest of 'em should be pretty much in order, I'd think. :confused:

crabcake

otter said:
Thank you! :yay: I didn't realize the the sponsor award payouts would be tied to the race purse; I thought they'd be figured it separately. Kind of like how if they have a deal with Bud or Cattepillar or some other big sponsor, that money doesn't get figured in, so I didn't think other sponsorship awards would be either. :ohwell:

Learn something new every day! :dance:

John Z

if you will
Tomcat said:
Not a laughing matter, if you're leading the Coke a Cola 400 at the 1/2 way point and get an extra $50,000 or whatever. At Daytona Bobby Labonte made $300,000 for running 14 laps before his engine blew up.

Oh, I'm sure it isn't "funny" for the drivers/teams. But as a casual observer, it is pretty humorous. It seems a bit like a game at an office party. "OK, the first one to find a refrigerator magnet and bring it to the podium gets a prize".

If I won that $50000 prize for leading at the halfway point, it wouldn't be a laughing matter for me either. I'd finally be getting that walk-in humidor I've always wanted. :razz: