kitty question

hello fellow kitty cat owners... a question for you.

my poor cat, who is almost 9 years old, is having a really horrible dandruff problem. He's a black tuxedo cat, so it's very noticable. This is our first winter in Maryland, moving from Ohio in September, and he's never had this problem before. I brush him, he grooms himself like normal, but I just can't seem to get the dandruff to go away.

any sugesstions?

Pam

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Could be a thryoid problem. Might be the food he's eating. Have you had him to the vet lately? He's getting to be a senior kitty and they will run a "senior" blood panel on him. It will check his thyroid, kidneys, etc.

well, when we first moved here, I took him to the vet and updated all of his shots, and they did a complete blood panel on him. They had thought his "personality change" might me a thyroid issue, but it turns out he was just stressed out from moving.

As for food, he eats food low in ash content (I don't want to advertise the brand) because when he was younger he had a lot of uti / bladder problems. The food has kept those out of our lives for awhile now (thank goodness!!)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have an older black cat that had a lot of dandruff a while back. He didn't seem to feel very well and had just been to the vet for his yearly about 4 months prior to that. Took him to vet, his gums were infected and the infection had spread in his system. Put him antibiotics and then did a dental. I also changed them (4 cats) to a holistic food dry food and they still get their canned food. Not sure if it was the food or the fact that he feels better, but his coat is beautiful again. :yay:

D

dems4me

pamela2372 said:

my poor cat, who is almost 9 years old, is having a really horrible dandruff problem. He's a black tuxedo cat, so it's very noticable. This is our first winter in Maryland, moving from Ohio in September, and he's never had this problem before. I brush him, he grooms himself like normal, but I just can't seem to get the dandruff to go away.

any sugesstions?

Pam

Does he have long hair? Does he scratch alot? Is it a little scabbed? If so this could be a form of an allergy... my little baby guy Sampson has a problem with allergies and takes something for it - without it... he scratches his skin and flakes of white skin come off... chunks of hair, hairballs here and there, scabs and my poor baby is just miserable. :frown: Have you changed his diet or grooming routine (shampoos or soap) or maybe washed the carpets with a new chemical or something? Does he scratch alot?

Nanny Pam

pamela2372 said:

any sugesstions?

Pam

1 egg a week. Scrambled.

Vince

What kind of heating system do you have? If you're using any kind of woodstove or pellet stove, that will dry anyone out, including pets. You can also get a humidifier that will pump moist air into the house.

D

dems4me

Vince said:
What kind of heating system do you have? If you're using any kind of woodstove or pellet stove, that will dry anyone out, including pets. You can also get a humidifier that will pump moist air into the house.

You make a good point... my long hair cats get static electricity shocks all the time and their skin dries out some so I put on a good conditioner and that seems to keep dry skin at bay :yay:

Yes, my kitty has long hair. He hasn't been overly scratching, that I've noticed. No problems w/ chunks of hair falling out, hairballs, etc and no scabbing. I gave him a good brushing this afternoon to make sure of that!

The house I'm renting now has a heat pump for heat, and I just bought a humidifier yesterday. (Hopefully it'll help him some!)

I've never tried the egg or oil. You've not had a problem with it upsetting his diet?

Thanks for all of your sugesstions thus far... I really do appreciate it!!

D

dems4me

pamela2372 said:
Yes, my kitty has long hair. He hasn't been overly scratching, that I've noticed. No problems w/ chunks of hair falling out, hairballs, etc and no scabbing. I gave him a good brushing this afternoon to make sure of that!

The house I'm renting now has a heat pump for heat, and I just bought a humidifier yesterday. (Hopefully it'll help him some!)

I've never tried the egg or oil. You've not had a problem with it upsetting his diet?

Thanks for all of your sugesstions thus far... I really do appreciate it!!

In that case... my cat Sage was like that and she has long hair and the air was dry all the time. Try brushing a little water and conditioner mixed solution onto his coat. Good luck!!! Please keep us posted!!! Hope your little guy gets good as new in no time!!! :huggy:

Eco2

I'm Baaaack!
Hi !! I don't know if someone suggested this yet, I didn't read the whole thread.

May I suggest omega-3-fatty acid capsules? They are well known to drastically improve the fur and skin's health. And they are oil capsules, so it may cut some of the effects of the dryness in the air, especially this time of year.

G

gigglestick

You can also try brushing him and washing with a special shampoo to see if that helps out.