F-150 Rear End

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Argh! I just spent a hair-raising morning at the Ford dealer here. My 2001 super crew F150 4x2 was feeling draggy in teh rear end, and I could hear a noise whenever I stepped on the accelerator. From my Dad, I knew this was BAD. So I find out that the differential is shot, the bearings are all chewed up, the lower ball joints are going, fluid leaked out cause the seal was shot, axles might have to be replaced (he called later and said no), and I am going to shell out over $3500.

I just want to sit down and cry.

My Dad had made an appointment for me in PA to have the stuff fixed with his (honest and cheaper) mechanic, but snowstorm for that weekend cancelled my trip, but his mechanic said "She shouldn't drive it, the rear might lock up on her, she might not even make the trip here." Which is what Ford told me today, which is why I said go ahead fix it, and gimme a rental. Dad's mechanic knew all about it becaue he had just fixed another 2001 the week before my Dad made an appt for me and was telling Dad all about it.

This truck has about 76,000 miles on it, has been paid off since 2002, and I never put a penny in it except for brakes (changed out pads and flipped rotors) and oil, and to get a hitch and braking system for the horse trailer. It is my only vehicle, and the milage is pretty good - 21 highway. I use it to pull a 2-horse trailer infrequently (twice in last year).

Anyone else have this happen? It's like the insides of the rear end go to mush. I think I will send a letter to NHTSA. Is it fruitless to call FOrd? I had a panic moment thinking I maybe should put the $4000 towards a new truck, but then I'd have a $550 per month payment that I can't handle right now.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
AMP said:
Argh! I just spent a hair-raising morning at the Ford dealer here. My 2001 super crew F150 4x2 was feeling draggy in teh rear end, and I could hear a noise whenever I stepped on the accelerator. From my Dad, I knew this was BAD. So I find out that the differential is shot, the bearings are all chewed up, the lower ball joints are going, fluid leaked out cause the seal was shot, axles might have to be replaced (he called later and said no), and I am going to shell out over $3500.

I just want to sit down and cry.

My Dad had made an appointment for me in PA to have the stuff fixed with his (honest and cheaper) mechanic, but snowstorm for that weekend cancelled my trip, but his mechanic said "She shouldn't drive it, the rear might lock up on her, she might not even make the trip here." Which is what Ford told me today, which is why I said go ahead fix it, and gimme a rental. Dad's mechanic knew all about it becaue he had just fixed another 2001 the week before my Dad made an appt for me and was telling Dad all about it.

This truck has about 76,000 miles on it, has been paid off since 2002, and I never put a penny in it except for brakes (changed out pads and flipped rotors) and oil, and to get a hitch and braking system for the horse trailer. It is my only vehicle, and the milage is pretty good - 21 highway. I use it to pull a 2-horse trailer infrequently (twice in last year).

Anyone else have this happen? It's like the insides of the rear end go to mush. I think I will send a letter to NHTSA. Is it fruitless to call FOrd? I had a panic moment thinking I maybe should put the $4000 towards a new truck, but then I'd have a $550 per month payment that I can't handle right now.
Seems kinda steep.:ohwell: Are you the original owner?:shrug:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Wickedwrench said:
Seems kinda steep.:ohwell: Are you the original owner?:shrug:

Yes, I bought it new in Feb 2001.

As to the steep $$$, it is a Ford dealer fixing it. I didn't have the time or the money to find someone who could do it cheaper only to find out they also did it wrong-er. :ohwell:

SeaRide

I have 2001 GenIII Supercrew F150 4x4 still running over 130k miles on it. I always do preventive maintenance by checking everything. So far, my truck runs great.

Last time I pull something heavy which was a bobcat and a farm tractor (Ford 8N model ).

Since 2001, I 've pulled boats on trailers, popup camper, utility trailer and vehicles stuck in mud/snow/ditch. Drove offroad on mountains and beach.

My truck was custom ordered from the factory. I requested limited slip differential on BOTH axles. I got heavy duty towing package added on. I requested the thicker radiator (1.5") including the transmission cooler. Wired with 7 wires for trailers with brakes etc. Had Line-X by Decker done on the bed.

Sorry to hear about your situation with the truck. Hope things goes well.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
An after warranty adjustment can be achieved but only if the vehicle has less than 75,000 miles on it.:banghead:

As for these rear ends, I see them everyday and can't say that we've had a ton of them go to mush. An occasional bearing problem here and there but not that often. :shrug:

Please tell me that estimate included a lot more work than just a differential overhaul and some ball joints.:twitch:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Wickedwrench said:
An after warranty adjustment can be achieved but only if the vehicle has less than 75,000 miles on it.:banghead:

As for these rear ends, I see them everyday and can't say that we've had a ton of them go to mush. An occasional bearing problem here and there but not that often. :shrug:

Please tell me that estimate included a lot more work than just a differential overhaul and some ball joints.:twitch:

Here is everything I OK'd them to do for $3615:
Rear diff. overhaul: ring&pinion, cups, cones, axle seals, axle brgs, pinion seal, sealent
Transmission: there is a leak to fix and need service
Extension housing gasket and seal, reseal dipstick
Plugs/boots/PVC (due at 60K, didnt do it)
Fuel filter and flush
Replace lower ball joints
Front brakes worn, new pads and flip rotors

I figureded they will have it all apart, why not have them do the flush and service too. Both my wallet and my head hurt.

It is just weird that Dad's mechanic in PA described fixing the exact same problem in a super cab (not crew) F150! :confused: :twitch:

Ponytail

Logon here to the forums. They've been VERY helpful to me in the past in determining issues that I've had with two of my family members Exploders.

AWSOME group of folks and it's EXTREMELY well known and busy, so connection might be slow or not available at times.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/forums/

Good Luck with it. That's a huge chunk of change for that work though.

PT

I feel your pain. Took my Pontiac to the shop because it didn't want to shift out of 2nd today. Transmission is shot. Atleast it is a '98 w/ 163K miles on it. Was hoping to get to the summer sales before having to replace it.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Ponytail said:
Logon here to the forums. They've been VERY helpful to me in the past in determining issues that I've had with two of my family members Exploders.

Exploders?? :killingme

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Twice I've seen it above, so I thought I'd ask - how to you "flip" a rotor?

:confused:

Ricky Racer

Boyz under the hood
AMP said:
Here is everything I OK'd them to do for $3615:
Rear diff. overhaul: ring&pinion, cups, cones, axle seals, axle brgs, pinion seal, sealent
Transmission: there is a leak to fix and need service
Extension housing gasket and seal, reseal dipstick
Plugs/boots/PVC (due at 60K, didnt do it)
Fuel filter and flush
Replace lower ball joints
Front brakes worn, new pads and flip rotors

I figureded they will have it all apart, why not have them do the flush and service too. Both my wallet and my head hurt.

It is just weird that Dad's mechanic in PA described fixing the exact same problem in a super cab (not crew) F150! :confused: :twitch:
Call a junkyard . Complet rear's go from $500 to $750...It only pays 2.2 hours to put a used rear in a F-150....Flip rotors :confused: I hope you mean turn rotors.. As for the rest of that stuff ,you can take care of that latter when your wallet heals ... :howdy:

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Ricky Racer said:
Call a junkyard . Complet rear's go from $500 to $750...It only pays 2.2 hours to put a used rear in a F-150....Flip rotors :confused: I hope you mean turn rotors.. As for the rest of that stuff ,you can take care of that latter when your wallet heals ... :howdy:

Thanks RR. :notworthy Next time, if something else goes, I hope it is something that will wait until I can look into someone other than a dealer doing it. ANd junkyards are probably the reason my father's mechanic in PA only charged the other guy $1200.

TURN them. THAT'S it. Oz, it's turn them. I hear it and it dosn't really make sense cause I don't know what they look like. Turn, flip, what's the difference? :loser: <-- me

Ricky Racer

Boyz under the hood
AMP said:
Thanks RR. :notworthy Next time, if something else goes, I hope it is something that will wait until I can look into someone other than a dealer doing it. ANd junkyards are probably the reason my father's mechanic in PA only charged the other guy $1200.

TURN them. THAT'S it. Oz, it's turn them. I hear it and it dosn't really make sense cause I don't know what they look like. Turn, flip, what's the difference? :loser: <-- me
No problem Call Andrews used parts on 301
Ask for Timmy