Fishing Ponds

ViolaceousTiger

Gilbert Run Park(where I work) which is like 35 minutes from waldorf, we have a lake that's stocked with fish. I'm not going to sound like a dork and name all the fish we have but if you want to know I'll let you know...If you don't have a fishing lisense then you can get it there too, but we don't open the entrance on the weekdays until April 1st so you have to park on the outside and walk in.

Directions if anyone doesn't already know, if you're coming from La Plata, just make a left on Charles Street and after 7 miles it's on the left.

If you're going south on route five from waldorf just make a right on route six in Charlotte Hall and it's on the right after a couple miles.

You probably won't want to go to that lake if you're in waldorf, it could be too far of a drive for you.

Bushy23

Gilbert run is a pretty decent fishery. It has trout stocked in it now, but also good populations of bluegill/sunfish and largemouth bass. Bass average about 11-12 inches, but I only have fished it from shore. I'm sure there are catfish in there as well. In Waldorf, pretty much any pond you see while driving around has fish in it. The neighborhoods like Dorchester have ponds in the middle with good populations of largemouth. Just please be sure to catch and release as these ponds can be overfished in a hurry.

ViolaceousTiger

Bushy23 said:
Gilbert run is a pretty decent fishery. It has trout stocked in it now, but also good populations of bluegill/sunfish and largemouth bass. Bass average about 11-12 inches, but I only have fished it from shore. I'm sure there are catfish in there as well. In Waldorf, pretty much any pond you see while driving around has fish in it. The neighborhoods like Dorchester have ponds in the middle with good populations of largemouth. Just please be sure to catch and release as these ponds can be overfished in a hurry.

yeah gilbert run has bluegill, largemouth bass, crappie, trout, I didn't think we had catfish, I dunno. It pisses me off though how so many people keep the fish, I've had so many fishermen complain to me about guys keeping the bass they catch, I wish DNR would hang around GRP more often and catch those suckers in the act.

Bushy23

That is a problem all over the area. I don't think there is enough DNR officers for the area and numbers of bodies of water. I have only been checked twice in my 5 years out here, and I fish twice a week or more! One time was trout fishing at Myrtle Grove and the other was at the Mattawoman Creek. It has been my experience that people keep EVERYTHING they catch here. I recall getting yelled at by people at Pt. Lookout for releasing a croaker.