Multiple Sclerosis

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Since March is MS awareness month and the annual MS walk has been advertised on the radio recently, and because my wife has severe MS, I thought I'd post a brief overview for anyone who's interested.

MS is a disorder of the body's immune system that causes damage to the body's neurological system. The auto-immune system incorrectly identifies a substance called myalin as a toxin and goes to work trying to rid the body of the myalin.

Myalin is the protective coating on the nerves in the body.

Antibodies attack the myalin and destroy it, causing nerve damage. The reultant symptoms include the loss of sensory and motor functions, loss of cognitive abilities, and depression. Other severe medical conditions can complicate things, and some of them are direct or indirect results of MS.

There are two stages of MS: Stage 1, which is a relapsing-remitting form of the disease, and Stage 2, which is the progressive form of the disease. In Stage 1, symptoms come and go. In my wife's case for example, she woke up blind in one eye one day - that's how we found out she had the disease. The blindness went away in a few weeks. In Stage 2, unfortunately, the symptoms develop and just get progressively worse. There's little warning before these symptoms start developing, and the decline in the patient's condition is inexorable and slow. It's like dying a very slow and painful death, except that death doesn't come to bring relief.

MS most often strikes women between 20 and 40, although it strikes men as well (same age group). Notable Stage 1 MS sufferers include Montel Williams and Neal Cavuto.

As yet there is no known cure for MS. Research continues and drugs are being developed, but so far none of them have been able to stop the disease permanently, and none of them have been able to reverse the damage.

As an up-close observer, I can say without reservation that I'd rather someone had cancer than MS. Cancer is treatable, and if not, death is the result.

My wife was originally diagnosed with MS in 1997. She'd had MS for some time before that, and there's no way to tell when it started.

My wife also has rheumatoid arthritis in her back. It also is a progressive condition. She also has degenerative disk disorder. She and I believe (but can't prove) that MS indirectly allowed those ailments to occur.

Today my wife can't get out of bed. Her legs are rigid because her MS got worse, and her back is so painful she can't stand it. Her hands (both of them) are clamped shut. All I can do is administer meds and try to help her get comfortable.

There are charities and institutions taking contributions to help with MS research. The drugs on the market are extremely expensive, because part of the money goes to fund research.

If you read this far in this post, I want to thank you from my heart for reading it all.

AnniesDad

By the sea
My sympathies to both of you. My grandfather died from it, so I am aware of how difficult living with it can be.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
She just asked to get up! I helped her up and she's eating scrambled eggs as I write this! :banana:

janey83

Twenty Something
One of my professors has MS, and told us a story about how she played tennis competitively when she was younger, and how she fell back on her college degree and decided to teach...she's a trip, and gets around on a little scooter so that she doesn't have to struggle walking. I think it's good that she jokes about it all the time, and is very independent...

Pegster710

The Pegster
Railroad said:
Thanks, all of you, for your very kind and caring replies!

My cousin has MS. Every day is a struggle - especially because you never know what to expect or when to expect it. She has a two year old baby boy and a loving husband to support her on a daily basis - she's in Florida. She has long distance support from her family in Southern MD and in Indiana. She's such a strong person...

Please know that I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. :huggy:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Railroad - clearly you and your wife have amazing strength. I wish you both well, and will hold you in my thoughts. :huggy:

S

scupper trout

RR

You Sir, are a true hero! Great thoughts and prayers to both of you!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
RR,
I didn't know to what extent your wife had progressed. You have mny prayers and admiration, both of you.

You may be interested to know (or not) that one of the first jobs I had in the pharma industry was start up and working as an analyst on the Betaseron Hotline, way back in 1993-94 when it was the newest thing on the market. On behalf of Berlex, I helped pharmacies get access, physicians file for reimbursement, and patients battle with their insurance companies. It was heartbreaking when I got calls from people who were ready to sell their house to get the drug (if you remember, it cost $1,000 for a month's supply back then, and was only for relapsing remitting) or move to another state because that state's PACE program covered Betaseron. I got to understand a little of what people with MS in their lives go through. That experience taught me how important access to drugs is, and is probably why I still do the work that I do.

:huggy:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
AMP said:
RR,
I didn't know to what extent your wife had progressed. You have mny prayers and admiration, both of you.

You may be interested to know (or not) that one of the first jobs I had in the pharma industry was start up and working as an analyst on the Betaseron Hotline, way back in 1993-94 when it was the newest thing on the market. On behalf of Berlex, I helped pharmacies get access, physicians file for reimbursement, and patients battle with their insurance companies. It was heartbreaking when I got calls from people who were ready to sell their house to get the drug (if you remember, it cost $1,000 for a month's supply back then, and was only for relapsing remitting) or move to another state because that state's PACE program covered Betaseron. I got to understand a little of what people with MS in their lives go through. That experience taught me how important access to drugs is, and is probably why I still do the work that I do.

:huggy:
I believe it! It's hard to describe what it's like to go through desperation and discouragement on a day-to-day basis - fortunately for us, we've been able to go through a lot of this without any desperation per se.