Geo Thermal heating and cooling

turtlebanana

Anyone have this installed?
St. Mary's County rules concerning these systems?
Just looking for some advice from someone who has used one before.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
turtlebanana said:
We are considering installing it also. Still researching. High dollar. Winter sheet metal does them.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
turtlebanana said:

We have Geo-Thermal heating and cooling but we live in Calvert. We are very pleased with it.

Let me also say that while the up-front costs associated with installing it are expensive, the money saved over time is well worth it. Also, before installing it make sure you know exactly where the underground pipes are located for landscaping purposes and if you ever want to put in a pool.

Last edited:
B

baswm

A friend of mine in Western Shores has it as well and he loves it.

Triggerfish

One thing I was told by the neighbors when I was finishing my basement. "Unless your name is Railey it may take several months for you to get a building permit, on the other hand if your name is Railey you would likely get it the same day."

Yeah I'd like to know about geothermal. My environmental science instructor recommends solar.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Triggerfish said:
One thing I was told by the neighbors when I was finishing my basement. "Unless your name is Railey it may take several months for you to get a building permit, on the other hand if your name is Railey you would likely get it the same day."
From what I've heard, it's not about whether you're a native or newcomer. It's whether you've hired an engineer who understands the Byzantine planning regulations. That's why it seems like the big developers get a wink and a nod--their livelihood depends on being able to work with (or sometimes around) the planning regs.

Sounds almost like my experience with the MVA. I you're doing anything other than a tag or license renewal, it will take at least two trips because the MVA drones will say you don't have the right paperwork or that it's filled out incorrectly.

turtlebanana said:
Isn't this just a fancyshmancy way of saying "heat pump"?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
huntr1 said:
Isn't this just a fancyshmancy way of saying "heat pump"?
It's a special type of heat pump. It uses the constant temperature of the deep ground (55 degrees in this area) as a reference point. It's costly to install, but once it's in, the only operating cost is for the circulation fan. I've heard of people only paying $20 a month in electricity to operate them.

SamSpade

Tonio said:
Sounds almost like my experience with the MVA. I you're doing anything other than a tag or license renewal, it will take at least two trips because the MVA drones will say you don't have the right paperwork or that it's filled out incorrectly.
The number one task of everyone in the MVA - or any bureaucrat, for that matter - is to GET RID OF YOU. Telling you you didn't fill out the proper paperwork is too easy.

I loved the old Simpsons routine where Marge's sisters Patti and Selma are at the MVA, where they work.

Patty: Some days we don't let the line move at all.
Selma: Yeah, we call those WEEKdays.

That's where they bury a coil of pipe down a deep hole and circulate the liquid thru them to either absorb or dissipate heat, right? I thought all heat pumps worked that way. Can somebody edumakate me on how my crappy heat pump works? I HATE my "heat" pump. Grew up with gas heat, and wish I had it now.

Triggerfish

SamSpade said:
I loved the old Simpsons routine where Marge's sisters Patti and Selma are at the MVA, where they work.

Patty: Some days we don't let the line move at all.
Selma: Yeah, we call those WEEKdays.

Why do they call it MVA here? This is the 5th state I've lived in and every one of those other states called it a DMV. Just a random thought.

Vince

Move to Ohio and buy a place with a natural gas well on the property. Free gas for heating and air conditioning. Sell the rest to the gas company.