Shores in Southern Maryland

ViolaceousTiger

Hey everyone I'm doing a project in marine biology at CSM where I have to collect 30 marine organisms and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good or half way decent public shores that are good for walking along to find any kind of shells or marine plants, does anyone know of any shores on the patuxent or potomac that are okay? I know of some but I would just like to hear any recommendations.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Do you have access to the base? There are several beaches at Pax and the Annex at Solomons. There are also beaches at the Ranch Club and a small one over at Solomons across from Our Lady.

Mikeinsmd

ViolaceousTiger said:
You don't happen to know what time the low tide is do you? It sounds like a good place for searching. I'll definitely try that next weekend. thanks for the link.
You can come down here where I live (Wicomoco Shores). There's a public beach here.

S

Shutterbug

What about Elm's Beach? It has public access, and I didn't see it on that list. I don't know what kind of plants and organisms you'll find though.

ViolaceousTiger

RoseRed said:
Do you have access to the base? There are several beaches at Pax and the Annex at Solomons. There are also beaches at the Ranch Club and a small one over at Solomons across from Our Lady.

I don't have access to the base and I really have no clue where it is, but yeah I'll try Solomons across from Our Lady? Where/What is Our Lady? I have no idea. Not really familiar with that area.

ViolaceousTiger

Shutterbug said:
What about Elm's Beach? It has public access, and I didn't see it on that list. I don't know what kind of plants and organisms you'll find though.

Where is Elm's Beach, I've never heard of that.

Mikeinsmd

ViolaceousTiger said:
How do you get there from La Plata?
301 south to left on 234 east, go about 10 mi. to right on Aviation Yacht Club Rd. (just after race tracks) Follow 1.5 mi. to a T & turn right, follow 3/4 mi. to public park.

ViolaceousTiger

Mikeinsmd said:
301 south to left on 234 east, go about 10 mi. to right on Aviation Yacht Club Rd. (just after race tracks) Follow 1.5 mi. to a T & turn right, follow 3/4 mi. to public park.

thanks, very good directions, I got them written down and I'll be there next weekend! Appreciate it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
ViolaceousTiger said:
I don't have access to the base and I really have no clue where it is, but yeah I'll try Solomons across from Our Lady? Where/What is Our Lady? I have no idea. Not really familiar with that area.

Our Lady Star of the Sea is the big white Catholic Church. On your left as you go onto the Island.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How about Allen's Fresh Run on RT 234 just south off of RT 301? Or maybe Chapel Point State Park just south of Port Tobacco? Both only a skip and a jump from La Plata.