gray horse near cook's in park hall?

Okay, so I guess I should have provided more info...but I don't want to possibly come off as critical and put my foot in my mouth.

I used to know the owners of this horse - and the horse used to have company. But now I see him and he's alone, underweight, I don't know if the rest of his needs are being taken care of (please no snide comments!).

Horses don't like to be alone, and they require a lot of care, which I'm not sure this horse is getting. I just wanted to know if anyone here knows anything more about him...I could use a friend for my blind mare and he looks like he could use a new home...but I don't know how to go about talking to anyone about him, hence the search for more information.

Does that help?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you used to know the owners, why not just stop in for a friendly hello and inquiry?

I'm glad that I could become the resident laughing stock.
No, seriously, it's not that simple. When I last tried to ask if they would GIVE me the horse, they responded by telling me I could RENT it for $200/month as a pasture mate.
Now, while I might pay that much for the horse outright, to get it away from it's current situation - to think that the animal is "rentable," in any condition, much less his current condition, while I'd be paying all of his rehab bills (vet, feed, farrier, etc), seems a little ridiculous to me.
I hesitate to open that can of worms again and get the same response from the owners - whom I didn't know on anything but a casual basis and who most likely don't remember me at all.
So, it seems as though, in the interest of tact, I could go up and ask them if they'd consider giving him to me as a pasture mate for my own blind horse...and risk them thinking that makes him a money-earner for them...or I reveal that my real plan is to "rescue" him and risk insinuating (perhaps rightfully) that he's not well cared for and would be better off in another home. Somehow, I don't see that going over so well.
Anyhow, I can see that my dilemma is amusing from an outsider's perspective - from my own rather shy, non-confrontational perspective, it's quite a dilemma. It was easier to find out here, while still semi-anonymous, if anyone knew anything else about him than I already do (which is minimal).
But hey, I'm glad you all got a laugh out of me.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Where exactly is this horse? The only ones I've seen in Park Hall are near the corner of Route 5 and Willows Road, and they live in a very nice-looking stable. My kids try to catch a look at them when we drive by.

On rte 5 south, just past Nach T farm on the left, about 1/4mi before Cooks, in a field overgrown with brambles and weeds - you'd have to look closely, he's usually in the back corner in a lean-to. Hard to see behind the overgrown natural fencing if you don't know whatyou're looking for.

mingiz

Horse Poor
horse in Park Hall

I know the horse that is mentioned. He has been in that field for years. He is ribby and surely have feet a mile long. You can see from a distance that he isn't taken care of. He has no pasture. It's all swamp grass and brush. They use to keep it halfway mowed. I have thought several times to call animal control. But with there record he'll just end up right were he is. I'm surprised that he is still alive. He has to be one tough guy to live that way. Go for it maybe the guy will give him up just to get rid of him. And yes if he wants money for him just tell him that he ought to pay you to take him and walk off.

I'm glad that somebody knows the horse I'm talking about. It seems as though his life is just spent on the edge of public view, where he can continue to live in misery. I think I will offer to take him off of their hands after I get back from a business trip in April. Wish me luck.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
foxxynhounds said:
I'm glad that somebody knows the horse I'm talking about. It seems as though his life is just spent on the edge of public view, where he can continue to live in misery. I think I will offer to take him off of their hands after I get back from a business trip in April. Wish me luck.
Do you think he can wait that long? :confused:

Not really sure what else to do...the trip is in early april (2 1/2 weeks away), and the person who will be caring for my horses will not be up to integrating a newbie, with a lot of potential problems, into my band o' horses.
But now you've made me feel bad (I already feel bad enough that I haven't moved on him in the past 7 YEARS that I've known he was there)...I should start the process sooner.
Gotta give it some thought.
Thanks to those of you who have given words of support.

bernsm

Hello,

I'm with St. Mary's Animal Welfare League. One of our board members noticed this horse just yesterday and said that he's in very, very bad shape - skin and bones, no tail. We have started working with a horse rescue league outside of Baltimore to hopefully rescue this horse (SMAWL does dog and cat rescue only). The horse rescue organization will take it IF we can get the owners to release it. We have transportation ready but from what I've ready it sounds as though the owners may be difficult to work with. If anyone out there can be of any help please let me know or e-mail me privately at bernsm@erols.com. Thank you.

bernsm

Thanks appyday. You're thinking like an animal rescue person. We have a couple people going there today. One is a Humane Officer. I will let you know if we make any headway.

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
Come on now,As long as this thread has been up,Why hasnt anyone contacted the county animal control,Or did ya ?? If there is signs of neglect,Poof,The horse goes into a trailer,of to a foster home,and vet.If the owner shows and proves he/she can take care of it,they tell it to the judge,and if the judge thinks they will take care of it properly,they can get it back ,after paying fines and fee's.

If this horse is in that bad of shape,Appy,hook up your trailer,call me,and I will go impound the darn thing.