Car Stereos

K

Kizzy

After going nearly 6 months without a fricken CD Player in my truck, because I broke it. I've decided to break down and get a whole new unit. :banana:

Today, when I was looking, I realized I'm a completely removed from the names, since it has been ages since I bought one, but from what I remember Adelphi and Pioneer are good names and JVC is a less than desirable system. :confused:

I’m looking for stereo that is XM/Satellite radio ready, so that I can get rid of my big box on the dash. Also, a CD player is a must, one at a time is fine, and other than that, nothing else is important, other than I'd like to keep the price under $300. So, for the car stereo enthusiast, please don’t recommend some stereo that cost upteen bucks. It isn't happening. :razz:

I was planning on going to Circuit City, since they offer free installation right now. :shrug:

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

morganj614

Kizzy said:
After going nearly 6 months without a fricken CD Player in my truck, because I broke it. I've decided to break down and get a whole new unit. :banana:

I’m looking for stereo that is XM/Satellite radio ready, so that I can get rid of my big box on the dash. Also, a CD player is a must, one at a time is fine, and other than that, nothing else is important, other than I'd like to keep the price under $300. So, for the car stereo enthusiast, please don’t recommend some stereo that cost upteen bucks. It isn't happening. :razz:

I was planning on going to Circuit City, since they offer free installation right now. :shrug:

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for this thread. I want to buy a CD player for my car and find someone to install it locally.. I really don't want to go to Best Buy or Circuit City so I will be interested in the responses you get.

K

Kizzy

morganj614 said:
Thanks for this thread. I want to buy a CD player for my car and find someone to install it locally.. I really don't want to go to Best Buy or Circuit City so I will be interested in the responses you get.

Don't go Monday morning :mad: j/k :wink:

I plan on going Monday to do this and drop my truck off. Today, the wait was unreal. They said 3-4 hours, and well, frankly, that is 3-4 hours longer than I wanted to hang out at Chucky Cheeses.

But I am stroked, I rarely buy anything for myself, having kids and whatnot. :lol:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
:yeahthat: I was just going to suggest looking at Crutchfield. They also have custom harness hookups to make an aftermarket stereo more of a plug and play installation.

morganj614

Oz said:
:yeahthat: I was just going to suggest looking at Crutchfield. They also have custom harness hookups to make an aftermarket stereo more of a plug and play installation.

And I assume that holds true with CD players? I also need 2 speakers replaced in the front doors and would like input on someone in the Lex. Park area that is good at this.

somdcrab

morganj614 said:
And I assume that holds true with CD players? I also need 2 speakers replaced in the front doors and would like input on someone in the Lex. Park area that is good at this.

:howdy: me

morganj614

somdcrab said:

Hey, I am serious. I will have my car another 3 years and want an inexpensive cd player but my 2 front speakers have static on them, maybe crappy wires? I am not sure even what to buy.. :confused:

Agee

morganj614 said:
You can order the whole system from Crutchfield, including speakers. Give them the model/make year of your car. They will then supply you with the CD and speaker choices that are applicable for your car. Everything you need to install the system will be provided. The components they suggest will require no mods. to the car.

K

Kizzy

morganj614 said:
Hey, I am serious. I will have my car another 3 years and want an inexpensive cd player but my 2 front speakers have static on them, maybe crappy wires? I am not sure even what to buy.. :confused:

I have Bo speakers in my truck, and they are fantastic. Last summer, I was on my way to training and a CD got stuck in the player. It made this horrible noise and the volume wouldn’t go down on the radio, I couldn’t get the radio itself to turn off.

After I was annoyed for an hour, which was 59 more minutes then I could bare to stand, I pulled into a parking lot :cussing: and jammed a letter opener in there and disconnected it from the fuse box. :whistle: Probably should have disconnected the fuse box first, but hey, I got the noise to stop. Plus, I needed a new stereo with XM built in anyway. :razz:

Vince & Air, they definitely have some sweet stereo systems on that website, but since I’m impatient (yeah, only waited 6 months, more like procrastinated), I’m just going to head on over to the Circuit City this morning and get r done.

Morgan, I’ll let you know how everything turns out later. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

somdcrab

morganj614 said:

:confused: can you afford me :duh:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Airgasm said:
You can order the whole system from Crutchfield, including speakers. Give them the model/make year of your car. They will then supply you with the CD and speaker choices that are applicable for your car. Everything you need to install the system will be provided. The components they suggest will require no mods. to the car.
:yeahthat: Crutchfield is great. They also include detailed instructions (with pictures) on how to take apart your car to get at the components you're replacing.
I put a stereo in a Civic a few years ago and didn't disconnect the battery prior to the install. When I went to turn it on, nothing. Called them up and the tech guy asked me what I did and then told me which fuse I needed to replace.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
morganj614 said:
I thought you were going to have Burke do it for you? :confused:

K

Kizzy

pixiegirl said:
Let me know how it goes Kiz. I've done all I can do with my CD player and am ready to replace it before I murder it.

I'm back. :cussing:

The stereo I want is a Pioneer, and I have a factory install premium sound system with Bo Speakers. The salesman is trying to say that, if I install this system, without switching out the speakers, I will get a garbage sound, because the amp and the speakers are not designed for switch outs like this. Well, since what he is saying makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, I left. Hopefully the GM dealer can explain all of this.

So disappointed. :ohwell:

Agee

Kizzy said:
I'm back. :cussing:

The stereo I want is a Pioneer, and I have a factory install premium sound system with Bo Speakers. The salesman is trying to say that, if I install this system, without switching out the speakers, I will get a garbage sound, because the amp and the speakers are not designed for switch outs like this. Well, since what he is saying makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, I left. Hopefully the GM dealer can explain all of this.

So disappointed. :ohwell:
Does your current system have a seperate amp/pre-amp?

If the salesman is questioning the power handiling capability of your Bose speakers, its hard to believe they will not handle the power of a Pioneer Unit. On the flip side, If you do have a seperate amp with your current system. The Pioneer might not have the power available to drive the Bose speakers, without the amp, and they will sound like garbage. Most new CD/Tuner units however, have a hook-up for an external pre-amp.

If you can find the opearting manual of your current system, it should have the units specs. Reply with:

- speaker handling power
-power output of the CD/tuner unit
-power output of the amp, if installed.