I need a hobby.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
The spouse and I had it out this weekend over our mutual inability to exercise our need for escapism. Currently that void is being filled through the expenditure of 50+ hours/week playing MMORPGs (video games), or sitting glassy-eyed watching a message board or chat room....and not together.

We're in a strange pickle being that neither of us have any friends within a 900 mile radius, and we really don't fit into the status quo of our age group--ie, we both hate going to bars--moreover, here in the bowels of St. Mary's county there really doesn't seem to be much else to occupy time...thus we are essentially left without an outlet.

Any suggestions? Thanks :flowers:

Addendum: I hate scrapbooking.

Vince

Are you a homeowner? If so, get outside and do some yardwork. Got to the gym together. Woodworking, make furniture. Refinish. Get off the computer and get some exercise.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Hiking...........

That's a great weekend thing to do every now and then, and we do occasionally enjoy taking the dogs to different parts/etcetera for long walks, but I was looking for something a little more frequent in nature---and more social.

Are you a homeowner? If so, get outside and do some yardwork. Got to the gym together. Woodworking, make furniture. Refinish. Get off the computer and get some exercise.

Yes, we own a house, and I do intend to delve into the wonderful world of gardening as the weather grows milder...but as with the hiking suggestion, I was sort of hoping for something a little more social.

I'd like to find something that we can do together---but not ONLY together.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Volunteer - at the senior center, va home, school/libraries, local fire dept/ems or big brothers/big sisters.

Take a class - the college is real close and the community offers various classes (check the local paper) - take cooking, or a language or painting or even dancing.

Join a "club" - again check the paper - but there is the VFW, Lions Club, Optimist Club, Rotary, not to mention specifically geared clubs such as the corvette or classic cars or what have you.

likitysplit

Club'nBabySeals said:
The spouse and I had it out this weekend over our mutual inability to exercise our need for escapism. Currently that void is being filled through the expenditure of 50+ hours/week playing MMORPGs (video games), or sitting glassy-eyed watching a message board or chat room....and not together.

We're in a strange pickle being that neither of us have any friends within a 900 mile radius, and we really don't fit into the status quo of our age group--ie, we both hate going to bars--moreover, here in the bowels of St. Mary's county there really doesn't seem to be much else to occupy time...thus we are essentially left without an outlet.

Poker/card club, bowling, swinging, body painting, volunteer at a soup kitchen/disaster relief, chess, batting cages, golf, tennis, softball league, dart league, pool league, tupperware, sex toy workshops, Amway, volunteer with SMC in rebuilding computers (not sure the name of the place).

Christmas in April is always fun. Highway cleanup club.

Or you could always buy a bottle of Yagermeister and Twister.........guaranteed to stay busy for hours...........

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Our hobby. This weekend, http://www.ncrenfaire.com/
-----------------------------------------------
May 21-22, 2005 Lake Anna Winery Lake Anna, VA
May 28-30, 2005 Lake Anna Winery Lake Anna, VA
June 4-5, 2005 Lake Anna Winery Lake Anna, VA
June 11-12, 2005 Lake Anna Winery Lake Anna, VA

http://www.varf.org/

------------------------------------------------
August 27, 28; September 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25; October 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23 / 2005

http://www.rennfest.com/mrf/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

When not at RF, we research characters, work on accents and put together costumes. We always take something to give the kiddies. The first year it was gold coins (chocolates), the second year it was gold coins and pearl necklaces, this year we've put together little organza bags with a pearl necklace, gold coin and a jewel. Cute little things.

Club'nBabySeals said:

What about doing bus trips like to Atlantic City, New York, etc?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
April 30, 2005
Celtic Festival and Highland Gathering
Fee
10am - 6pm
The 27th annual event is sponsored by the Celtic Society of Southern Maryland (CSSM). The CSSM is a chartered non-profit educational corporation. This year’s event features a living history encampment, music, dance, athletic events, crafts, and information related to Celtic cultural heritage. There will be competitions in Highland bag piping, dancing, fiddling, and harp. Celtic merchandise and food will be available for purchase. For more information call 443-404-7319 or contact CSSM at its website at www.cssm.org.

http://www.jefpat.org/Calendar of Events.htm#MARCH

St. Mary's City has Maryland Days, which is coming up soon. I can't find anything, though. You can probably call them and find out more information. Maryland Days is Life Action Role Play. Characters depicted are from the settlement.

Agee

elaine said:
April 30, 2005
Celtic Festival and Highland Gathering
Fee
10am - 6pm
:yay: Great Event. If you're a Bagpipe fan, the grand finale with all of the Bag & Drum Corps playing together shouldn't be missed!

Airgasm said:
:yay: Great Event. If you're a Bagpipe fan, the grand finale with all of the Bag & Drum Corps playing together shouldn't be missed!
You forgot to mention the manly men in kilts with their bulging arms thrusting wood for distance...:yay: