Covering up Concrete

TinaTina

I am currently in the process of remodeling an old house ( :twitch: ). There is a concrete porch and a couple of sets of concrete steps outside. This old concrete is ugly, and the vision that I have in my head to make it look better is geared towards more of a nice flagstone finish. Do any of you have any experience covering up concrete? If so, any clue if flagstone is an appropriate material to cover it up with? Is this a good DIY project for someone who is relatively handy?

Thanks in advance for any input! :cheers:

xusnret

If the old concrete is just ugly but in sound condition I'd take the route of resurfacing. There are all kinds of products out on the market for doing this some can be stained, stamped, textured or whatever but if the old concrete is in real bad condition then you are better off starting from scratch. Either option has a major flow chart involved in the process, scores of websites are available to steer you through the maze. DIY is way far the cheapest but alot of hard work is required, I got quotes for doing a job requiring a total of 7 cu yd of new concrete and they ranged from 7.5k to 9k. I opted to do the job myself and so far my total $ investment has been under 2.5k (including buying a mixer) a heck of a lot cheaper but I've been at it for 5 months now, 3 months of cold weather during winter brought it all to a halt.
My recommendation would be to decide exactly what you want the final appearance to be and then call several (3-5) companies/handymans and get price quotes on doing the complete job Listen to there suggestions and then go from there.

TinaTina

xusnret said:
DIY is way far the cheapest but alot of hard work is required, I got quotes for doing a job requiring a total of 7 cu yd of new concrete and they ranged from 7.5k to 9k.
:yikes:
Thanks for the input! The concrete is in great shape, I just think it's ugly. It looks like we'll be learning how to do a new project in the near future! Good luck with the remainder of your project!

Jackoholic~How difficult was it tearing up the concrete yourself?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
If the concrete is in good shape, use floor paint and just cover up the stained concrete...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Up past Helen Estates on Rt 5 there is a place, I think Erskine or Earnshaw, that sells slab rock or flat rock that could be fashioned into a very attractive covering for a foundation. If that is what you are looking for.

TinaTina

Ken King said:
Up past Helen Estates on Rt 5 there is a place, I think Erskine or Earnshaw, that sells slab rock or flat rock that could be fashioned into a very attractive covering for a foundation. If that is what you are looking for.
I think I know where you are talking about, and that is perfect! Thanks! :yay: