My puppy needs help

Crombie54

Sorry for double posting but I desperately need information.
I adopted my dog from the Friends for Life Animal Rescue last Sunday only to find out that she has heartworm and a heart murmur. Does anyone know state laws about animal rescue groups having to give prevention or treat such diseases? They received her in October and gave her Strongid to prevent worms, which only lasts one month, and had not given her anything since. (The same goes for Revolution for ticks and fleas). My vet told me that she is pretty confident that they also have to check them for heartworm and it be negative one week before dogs are adopted, which they obviously didn't do. I don't have the money for her treatment on my own so I need to know if I have a case against them so they will pay for it.

doxie

I know that SMAWL tests all dogs over 5 months for heartworms before adopting them out. Have you called the organization you adopted the puppy from to ask them what there policy is?

Call SMAWL 301-373-5659 and leave a message for Roz, she may be able to give you some advice.
Crombie54 said:
Sorry for double posting but I desperately need information.
I adopted my dog from the Friends for Life Animal Rescue last Sunday only to find out that she has heartworm and a heart murmur. Does anyone know state laws about animal rescue groups having to give prevention or treat such diseases? They received her in October and gave her Strongid to prevent worms, which only lasts one month, and had not given her anything since. (The same goes for Revolution for ticks and fleas). My vet told me that she is pretty confident that they also have to check them for heartworm and it be negative one week before dogs are adopted, which they obviously didn't do. I don't have the money for her treatment on my own so I need to know if I have a case against them so they will pay for it.