Daytime Headlights

Do you think daytime headlights make a difference?

• Yes

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Legally required on a motorcycle. Somewhat dislikethe DRLs on all the new cars because it removes any visibility advantage having mine on gave me.
Had them On my VW and would sometimes take off at night without turning on the headlights because I'd see the DRLs and not notice my lights were off till I noticed my dash was dark.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
aps45819 said:
Legally required on a motorcycle. Somewhat dislikethe DRLs on all the new cars because it removes any visibility advantage having mine on gave me.
Had them On my VW and would sometimes take off at night without turning on the headlights because I'd see the DRLs and not notice my lights were off till I noticed my dash was dark.
I can understand having them on your bike, but I can't understand having them on cars (bigger objects). IMHO, if somebody can't see your car coming in the daytime without the lights, turning them on sure won't make any difference. (The exception, of course, being reduced visibility due to heavy clouds, fog, or rain.)

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
I drive with my headlights on all the time, I really think it makes people notice the car better than with them off.

I personally see cars faster with their headlights on. :shrug:

Vince

Railroad said:
I can understand having them on your bike, but I can't understand having them on cars (bigger objects). IMHO, if somebody can't see your car coming in the daytime without the lights, turning them on sure won't make any difference. (The exception, of course, being reduced visibility due to heavy clouds, fog, or rain.)
:yeahthat: Got to have them on the bike, but I wish I had the option of turning them off on my car. They put them in a certain year vehicle without the option of being able to turn the dayum things off.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
AC/DC said:
I drive with my headlights on all the time, I really think it makes people notice the car better than with them off.

I personally see cars faster with their headlights on. :shrug:

Me too. And I get soo pist when it's raining or foggy and some idots won't turn on their lights. That's my biggest gripe in the world. Oh, and when I run out of chocolate! :howdy:

K

Kizzy

RR,

They did a National study on this a few years ago and found that the use of headlights during the day significantly reduces the number of accidents.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Railroad said:
I can understand having them on your bike, but I can't understand having them on cars (bigger objects).
Same reason, It's easier to see (notice) a point of light than a mass of color.
Of course this doesn't apply to people that hit parked fire trucks that have their lights flashing while driving with 9 kids in the car. Some people are to stupid to drive.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
Kizzy said:
RR,

They did a National study on this a few years ago and found that the use of headlights during the day significantly reduces the number of accidents.

:yeahthat: People didn't like their privacy in the back seat invaded like that. :ohwell:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Railroad said:
(The exception, of course, being reduced visibility due to heavy clouds, fog, or rain.)
I think just for this reason.. it's foggy, rainy, and the DA STILL doesn't turn his headlights on.. of course DRL's don't help if you are coming up behind him, because DRL's don't turn tail-lights on.

I DO think if they are going to pass laws about, "Your wipers are on, your headlights will be too" Then the wipers switch SHOULD turn on your headlights..

Flip side to this is the DA that has their rear foglights on in clear weather at night..

Vince

Kizzy said:
RR,

But once everyone has their headlights on all the time, you won't notice anymore. It won't be out of the ordinary.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Vince said:
:yeahthat: Got to have them on the bike, but I wish I had the option of turning them off on my car. They put them in a certain year vehicle without the option of being able to turn the dayum things off.
WHen CHevy first came out with them, we got issued Corsicas for GOV's, and would get #####ed out at the gate for not turning our lights out when approaching.. had to explain "I CAN'T SHUT OFF THE LIGHTS, without shutting off the car!!" They actually had me get out of the car for being a smart-ass, and proceeded tot ry to shut off my lights.. AMAZING how humble a guard can be when he's proven wrong.