Drywall Repair

Pegster710

The Pegster
I have to repair a hole in my son's bedroom wall - the headboard made it when we changed the room around. It's about 2 inches in diameter.

Can anyone tell me what to use and how to patch it? We want to paint in there but I have to fix this first...

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Pegster710 said:
I have to repair a hole in my son's bedroom wall - the headboard made it when we changed the room around. It's about 2 inches in diameter.

Can anyone tell me what to use and how to patch it? We want to paint in there but I have to fix this first...

might have to make it a little bigger for this, slide a small piece of wood/metal something say 6x1" Put two screws in it, now this gives you backing to screw a new piece of drywall too. then tape if needed and mud it in.

suzeQ

Occasional User
Is it a total hole, or is the wallboard just 'pushed in'?

If it's really a hole, the right way to fix it is to cut out a square around the hold and fit a new piece of wallboard in, plastering the seams, then sanding, before painting.

If it's just pushed in, you can get away with thin layers of plaster, drying in between each one, until it is flush with the wall. Make sure and sand well, so everything is smooth, or the 'patch' job will show through the new paint.

Lowes can help you locate the proper materials. Good luck.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
suzeQ said:
Is it a total hole, or is the wallboard just 'pushed in'?

If it's really a hole, the right way to fix it is to cut out a square around the hold and fit a new piece of wallboard in, plastering the seams, then sanding, before painting.

If it's just pushed in, you can get away with thin layers of plaster, drying in between each one, until it is flush with the wall. Make sure and sand well, so everything is smooth, or the 'patch' job will show through the new paint.

Lowes can help you locate the proper materials. Good luck.
Even once you cut it square you still have to put something behind it, unless you cut beyond studs which then you could re-attach too. But a 2 inch hole you could do multiple layers of mud, filling in the edges till it's full. Not the right way but it will work.

mainman

Set Trippin
Magnum said:
Even once you cut it square you still have to put something behind it, unless you cut beyond studs which then you could re-attach too. But a 2 inch hole you could do multiple layers of mud, filling in the edges till it's full. Not the right way but it will work.
A blowout patch would work swell....

mainman

Set Trippin
Perfect for removed outlet box holes, punch & doorknob holes.

*Square-off hole in drywall.

*Cut new drywall patch 2" bigger in both directions than hole.

*Score back side of patch 1" around all 4 sides.

*Bend, and peel off 1" strips... leaving 1" paper overhang on front of drywall patch.

*Apply joint compound to edges and back of paper overhang of patch, and 1" perimeter of hole and edges.

*Apply drywall blowout patch to hole in sheetrock (or other) wall.

*Using a 6" taping knife... smooth out and remove excess joint compound.

*Let dry, spackle as usual with larger knife.

Pegster710

The Pegster
Thanks for all the help - I think I'll try the "blowout" patch first - sounds like that will work. I hit some of you with some green - I'll get the rest as soon as I "reload".

:howdy: