Introducing new cats

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
It looks like my dad is definitely moving in with me. He'll be bringing two
cats with him. One is almost 14 and gets along fine with everyone. The other is so skittish I've never seen her. I already have my little crippled cat and the rat terrier.
Any ideas on the best way to introduce my dad's cats to my current pets?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cats are very territorial. You have to take it slowly. I'd make sure for the first few months, you have separate litter boxes, separate food bowls, etc. and keep them apart. Let them see each and sniff but be prepared for fights. They will get used to each other or learn to tolerate each other. Expect inapproaprate potty habits...doesn't always happen but it's that is cats' number one way to express displeasure. :lol:

As for the doggie. He may be fine since he's used to your cat. But your dad's cats will probably be scared of him..just go slowly.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
cattitude said:
Cats are very territorial. You have to take it slowly. I'd make sure for the first few months, you have separate litter boxes, separate food bowls, etc. and keep them apart. Let them see each and sniff but be prepared for fights. They will get used to each other or learn to tolerate each other. Expect inapproaprate potty habits...doesn't always happen but it's that is cats' number one way to express displeasure. :lol:

As for the doggie. He may be fine since he's used to your cat. But your dad's cats will probably be scared of him..just go slowly.

I'm expecting some "potty accidents". When Dad came to stay with me for a month after Mom died, my perfectly trained kitty started to go wherever she felt like it - she could smell Dad's cats on his clothes.
I was thinking of putting his cat's litter box in his bathroom and keeping them in his section of the house until they get used to everything. The oldest one, Maggie will do the best. She's used to cats and dogs.
The younger one Shnooks I may have to keep in a carrier for awhile. She's fast and I don't want her loose and lost, or even worse, to get outside.
My cat, Tipsy, I expect to be highly offended! :lmao:

D

dems4me

cattitude said:

:yeahthat: Also because of their territorialness, I find what works best for me is to introduce them and let them spend some time in a nuetral place for about a day (where none of te cats have been before), that way neither cat is being territorial and they can get used to one another with out all the static of who's territory they are on, etc :shrug:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Pete said:
Cat pee is the worst smell in the world next to dead cow of course.
:yeahthat: I did a lot of scrubbing and Febreze. After punishing her, by restricting her movement in the house (basement only), there has been no reoccurance. I'm not looking forward to it again.