Anyone ever been to...

suzeQ

Occasional User
Are you getting some college credits for this trip, BuddyLee? What a great opportunity.

I have never been but have heard wonderful stories from Navy folks who got to go there.

PJumper

BuddyLee said:
Australia?

What can I expect? What is there to visit/see?

Most importantly...

Where are the cheapest tickets?!?!

If you're going North of Sydney, you'll probably end up in Brisbane, which is about 5 hours drive from Sydney. It's a nice city, not to big or crowded and the people has a laid back lifestyle. About an hour or so of Brisbane is the Gold Coast, famous for it's beaches and hospitality. Get hooked up with a local and have fun.

BuddyLee

Football addict
PJumper said:
If you're going North of Sydney, you'll probably end up in Brisbane, which is about 5 hours drive from Sydney. It's a nice city, not to big or crowded and the people has a laid back lifestyle. About an hour or so of Brisbane is the Gold Coast, famous for it's beaches and hospitality. Get hooked up with a local and have fun.
Actually, I just asked and I will probably stay in an assortment of places that include Brisbane, Sydney, Armidale, Guyra, ect...:cheers:

Thanks for the info.:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
suzeQ said:
Are you getting some college credits for this trip, BuddyLee? What a great opportunity.

I have never been but have heard wonderful stories from Navy folks who got to go there.
No college credits. I'm hoping my boss will give me the time off and hopefully I will have saved up a considerable amount of money with my newfound raise. Plus, if all goes well, I may go to Europe next Summer.:getdown:

suzeQ

Occasional User
BuddyLee said:
No college credits. I'm hoping my boss will give me the time off and hopefully I will have saved up a considerable amount of money with my newfound raise. Plus, if all goes well, I may go to Europe next Summer.:getdown:

Whooo hooo!! You are a traveling man, BL. What a wonderful experience for you.

I'm sure if you are a little short on cash that the forumites will take up a collection - to fund your socializing.

My Uncle went back in the mid 90's. Get a psychic and maybe he can give you some advice.

Stay away from Nicole Kidman when you are there, I hear she has some BIG bodyguards.

Jaws was fiction, but it is re-created in real life there quite often, don't go swimming if you have an open, bloody sore.

They have topless beaches, take LOTS of pictures.

They talk funny there.

Fosters is good.

bec_wells

I'm from Australia so I can help.

Jaws was fiction, but it is re-created in real life there quite often, don't go swimming if you have an open, bloody sore.

They have topless beaches, take LOTS of pictures.

They talk funny there.

Fosters is good.

You don't have to worry about being eaten by a shark - there are shark nets along the coastline at all the popular beaches. If there is not net, and shark attacks are a problem there will be signs posted.

Fosters is HORRIBLE!! No one in Australia drinks the stuff - if you want a good Aussie beer ask for a XXXX (pronounced four x), Gold if you're soft or Heavy if you like the more potent stuff.

If you want the big entertainment (clubs, lots of goodlooking people, the prospect of meeting someone rich and famous) stick to the east coast, from Sydney up. If you want a more "outback" (as American's call it) experience, I suggest heading into the centre of Aus. There you'll find Ayer's Rock (Uluru), shitloads of kangaroos and not much else. The top of the Northern Territory is apparently awesome for wildlife (watch out for crocodiles - you're more likely to get attacked by a croc than a shark!) but don't go between December and February unless you want to be caught in a monsoon. Also, the Northern Territory is incredibly hot and humid, and there's a ton of mosquitos, so be prepared. The west coast (namely Perth) is famous for wildflowers. I've never been but apparently it's awesome.

Along the east coast I suggest Sydney of course. Staying in Sydney will probably be the most expensive part of your trip, especially if you stay around Bondi beach or Darling Harbour.
Heading north I suggest you stop off first at the Gold Coast (about a 10 hour drive from Sydney). The Gold Coast is where you'll find 3 amusement parks (Dreamworld, SeaWorld and Movie World), one of which is where they filmed The House of Wax. The parks are lame compared to what you have here, but I think they're the best ones we have in Aus. If you stay on the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise is pretty much the mecca. If you'd rather have a quieter trip, I'd stay somewhere like Coolangatta, Burleigh or Broadbeach. Everything's pretty close to Surfers, but there's not even half as many people. The Gold Coast does have an awesome mall, called Pacific Fair.
Next stop would be Brisbane (and hour drive from the Gold Coast). I never found Brisbane to be that exciting. Queen Street Mall is pretty cool, and the main shopping district, but you need to be careful of gangs of teenagers. I wouldn't walk through there by yourself at night, and I'd hold on pretty tight to your purse during the day. When you're at Brisbane I'd recommend visiting Southbank - it's a pretty big tourist attraction. Also, Brisbane has some cool markets on weekends, usually Sundays. You'd need to check a local paper (The Courier Mail) to find out when and where.
Still going up you'll hit the Sunshine Coast (about an hour and half from Brisbane). This is my forte, I used to live there. I personally like the Sunshine Coast a whole lot more than the Gold Coast. While the Gold Coast is glitzy and busy and exciting, the Sunshine Coast is much more relaxed and quiet. Mooloolooba is the centre of the Sunny Coast - it's the busiest area of the coast and has some incredible restaurants. Coolum is beautiful, breathtaking. The drive along the coastline in Coolum has some of the most beautiful views you'll see. It is also the "rich" area - check out the houses!
About 2 or 3 hours drive from the Sunshine Coast you'll hit Bundaberg. Just off the coast of Bundaberg is Fraser Island, one of the most beautiful places I've been to in Australia. It's the largest sand island in the world (I think) and is absolutely stunning. You need to take a 4 wheel drive on the island, as all the roads are sand, or you can hike but it's pretty big and I wouldn't recommend it. Fraser is the only place you really need to watch out for dingoes - they've become so used to people they're unafraid of you but willing to attack you for food. Keep all your stuff locked away, and don't (and I stress DON'T) leave food around your tents if you're camping. You don't want a dingo digging around your tent in the middle of the night. But as long as you keep your distance they'll leave you alone. And you can't swim at the beaches at Fraser unless there's a lifeguard present - Fraser doesn't have shark nets and the waters around it are full of great whites.
Keep heading north and you'll eventually come to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. I haven't been to either of these places but I hear they're gorgeous.

As for tickets, try Virgin Blue airlines - they have probably the cheapest tickets if you're going between major cities. If you're flying to smaller airports try Jetstar. Otherwise bus tickets are cheap, and you could probably swing a cheap train ride as well.

If you have any other questions you can email me at becwells@gmail.com.

I hope this helped you out a bit!! Good luck!

Triggerfish

I was in Australia about 3 yrs ago. We stayed in the Sydney area. I went shark diving in Botany Bay. While I was there I kept on hearing that you should visit the Blue Mountains. http://www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/

Before arriving I studied the map of Sydney to figure out where I want to book a hotel. I ended up at a Holiday Inn with a very central location. It was dead center in the Red Light District!!! :shocked: The area was full of Hookers and Strippers. Oh well at least the restaurants were open 24/7 :lmao: .

Triggerfish

bec_wells said:
You don't have to worry about being eaten by a shark - there are shark nets along the coastline at all the popular beaches. If there is not net, and shark attacks are a problem there will be signs posted.

We dove into the middle of about 20 sharks. :lmao: