Fence shopping

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
OK, we're trying to decide what use for our new fencing. I like split rail, rottncop likes high tensile with round posts (he'll prolly win since HE'S doing it). We have much wooded area, and will be fencing about 5 more acres. Anyone have any suggestions on where to economically buy the tensile fencing or split rail? Any idea of cost locally (I'm even willing to travel a bit to purchase as well)? I'm considering ordering the tensile wire, but would need one of those things that rolls it out i guess, so we'd have to rent one I suppose unless someone has one we could borrow or rent from them for a weekend.
TIA!

Gooseneck

happyappygirl said:
OK, we're trying to decide what use for our new fencing. I like split rail, rottncop likes high tensile with round posts (he'll prolly win since HE'S doing it). We have much wooded area, and will be fencing about 5 more acres. Anyone have any suggestions on where to economically buy the tensile fencing or split rail? Any idea of cost locally (I'm even willing to travel a bit to purchase as well)? I'm considering ordering the tensile wire, but would need one of those things that rolls it out i guess, so we'd have to rent one I suppose unless someone has one we could borrow or rent from them for a weekend.
TIA!

Stauffer's Feed Mill (Hen Yard) in Loveville carries high tensile and round posts. They'll loan you the reel. The posts will be the expensive part.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Gooseneck said:
Stauffer's Feed Mill (Hen Yard) in Loveville carries high tensile and round posts. They'll loan you the reel. The posts will be the expensive part.
I couldn't imagine they'd be anymore expensive than split rain, but I've been away from the country a long time.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
How much do horses cost anyways? And what kind of acreage do you need per horse? In know cattle, but not horses, are they about the same, price and space wise anyways?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
appyday said:
In St Marys you need 5 acres for the first horse..I think Calvert and Charles is different..you can spend as little or as much on a horse as you want to. Up keep is the expense. If you are boarding you will pay $200-$400 month for that..easily a car payment...I have 7...I have probably put a condo into mine.. :ohwell:
Cool, thanks. So, land wise will depend on the laws of the state or county your in? I was looking down the line in the future. Eventually, I'll want a few acres of land and so I was thinking about horses and what not.

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
Is it 5 acres for a horse really? Someone had told me only 1 acre was needed. And now I'm worried that the people buying the house next door to us might be bringing a horse. I hope it's 5 acres I don't want to be that close to a horse even though they are nice.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
appyday said:
5 in St Marys unless you are under a grandfather type clause...even so I do not know if it switches over to the new owner..I do not see how you could on 1 acre have a house..pasture and barn..I am jammed I feel and I have alot more then that..
My grandmother owned 5 acres, and I agree, there is now way you could have a house, pature and bare on just one. I just know that in Texas, we have what's called a "cow/calf unit", which is how much space is required for a cow/calf, or one bull. I just didn't know if they had the same here, and how it appied to horses. I think horses, are great animals and reallt want to learn to ride.

Gooseneck

Bustem' Down said:
I couldn't imagine they'd be anymore expensive than split rain, but I've been away from the country a long time.

The pressure treated round posts will run around $8 a piece for the 4-5 inch diameter which can be used for line posts in a high tensile system. End posts and corner posts need to be of the 8 inch variety and they are more expensive.