Top soil

E

Ernie

Where is the best place to get screened top soil delivered to my place in Lusby? I know hance, Morgan russell, and the likes sell it but I was wondering if anyone bought some and thought the price and quality was good.

Just to give you an idea about pricing... I know it would cost you nearly $500 to get a dumptruck load of top quality, screened topsoil delivered in St. Mary's County. If I'm not mistaken it's approx. $28 a ton for the top soil alone, then you need to tack on delivery charges.

E

Ernie

I only need about 20 cubic yards. The area where I want to grow some grass is mostly clay. Figured I would put 4" top soil on top and then rototill it to mix with the clay and the grass should grow.

I got a price of 287. for 15 cubic yards (20 tons) delivered. I called J. Calvin Wood construction. Will get two more estimates.

Ernie said:
I only need about 20 cubic yards. The area where I want to grow some grass is mostly clay. Figured I would put 4" top soil on top and then rototill it to mix with the clay and the grass should grow.

I got a price of 287. for 15 cubic yards (20 tons) delivered. I called J. Calvin Wood construction. Will get two more estimates.
That's a better price then we are getting here in St. Mary's...:cheers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ernie said:

Well give up the number!!

And will they deliver to St Mary's??

E

Ernie

itsbob said:
Well give up the number!!

And will they deliver to St Mary's??

Not sure, J. Calvin Wood is located in St. Leonard, MD. 410-586-2721
I am sure they will deliver to St. Marys for the right price. Give them a call.

Thomas L. Hance gave me a price of $312 delivered for 15 cubic yards.

Ernie, make sure you are getting top quality screened top soil. I know of a few material plants that have poor quality product on the ground. I even know of a few that sell screened top soil and don't tell you it came from fields where they had previously allowed "chicken poop" product dumping...:yikes:

Vince

Ernie said:

Hance has about the same price for sifted top soil. Around $300

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I bought some topsoil from Earnshaw's in Mechanicsville that was wonderful - screened, and it was very rich and dark and beautiful. I'd definitely use Earnshaw's again.

Previously I had bought topsoil from The Trading Post, and it was nothing but crap; a LOT of glass shards, large twigs, and big clumps that were difficult to break up. I'd never use Trading Post again.

BadGirl said:
I bought some topsoil from Earnshaw's in Mechanicsville that was wonderful - screened, and it was very rich and dark and beautiful. I'd definitely use Earnshaw's again.

Previously I had bought topsoil from The Trading Post, and it was nothing but crap; a LOT of glass shards, large twigs, and big clumps that were difficult to break up. I'd never use Trading Post again.
Exactly... Earnshaw's was who I was quoting when referring to top of the line screened, topsoil. There price per cubic yard went up again as of April 1st... but you get what you pay for in this case...:yay:

kwillia said:
Exactly... Earnshaw's was who I was quoting when referring to top of the line screened, topsoil. There price per cubic yard went up again as of April 1st... but you get what you pay for in this case...:yay:
I bought a truckload of "fill" dirt from Richard's and Sons (I think) and it was darn near topsoil quality. That was 3 years ago though.

Have heard nothing but great comments from people on the quality and service of Earnshaw.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Ernie, make sure you are getting top quality screened top soil. I know of a few material plants that have poor quality product on the ground. I even know of a few that sell screened top soil and don't tell you it came from fields where they had previously allowed "chicken poop" product dumping...:yikes:
:yeahthat: I got "top soil" from The Greenery several years ago to build some raised garden beds and it was horrible. It was very poor quality - full of sand, trash and weed seeds. Never again.

I'm making my own "top soil". Got 2 loads of free mulch from the Chuck Co. landfill last year and dumped them in 1 pile at the edge of my treeline. Waiting for it to decompose. Based on the size of the pile now, I believe that I probably have a nice bit of beeeutiful black dirt under the pile (in other words, the pile is now maybe 1/3 the size it was originally).