crabs running yet?

deba399

Hi Everyone. Does anyone know if the crabs are running locally yet? If so, where and how caught? Thanks!

deba399 said:
Hi Everyone. Does anyone know if the crabs are running locally yet? If so, where and how caught? Thanks!
Last I heard was that a guy caught a bushel down by the 301 powerplant about a week ago. Took him a couple hours, and he was running 5000' of trotline. Can't wait till they get going up at Benedict.

D

dems4me

I don't know that its legal to catch crabs yet... you have to have a crabbing license with DNR. They should also give you some rules, size limits, etc... during the visit. Good luck! :cartwheel

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
dems4me said:
I don't know that its legal to catch crabs yet... you have to have a crabbing license with DNR. They should also give you some rules, size limits, etc... during the visit. Good luck! :cartwheel
pots are out in bay. Season opened on the 15th I hear..........

itsbob

I bowl overhand
dems4me said:
Season opened on the 5th, and you don't need a license for recreational crabbing.. catching for you and your family.. limitations on how many lines you can have in the ater, traps etc.. but for us catcher/eaters you don't need a license!

D

dems4me

itsbob said:
Season opened on the 5th, and you don't need a license for recreational crabbing.. catching for you and your family.. limitations on how many lines you can have in the ater, traps etc.. but for us catcher/eaters you don't need a license!

Its vaguly coming back to me now... :dance: thanks! but I could have sworn I needed a crabbing license or crabbing added on to cost of fishing license....

deba399

huntr1 said:
Last I heard was that a guy caught a bushel down by the 301 powerplant about a week ago. Took him a couple hours, and he was running 5000' of trotline. Can't wait till they get going up at Benedict.

Thanks for the info. What's with some of these guys? I thought that jr. high was still in session this time of the day.

T.Rally

itsbob said:

Last year was the first year of the recreational license.

FYI

Recreational Crabbing License Information:

Resident Recreational Crabbing License: $5.00 Allows a resident of Maryland to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below. Holders of a $9.00 Resident Bay Sport Fishing License or a $5.00 Resident Senior Consolidated Fishing License may obtain this license for $2.00

Non-Resident Recreational Crabbing License: $10.00 Allows a non-resident to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below.

Recreational Crabbing Boat License: Resident/Non-Resident: $15.00 Allows anyone on board a vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below.

Replacement Recreational Crabbing License: Resident/Non-Resident: $1.00

Replacement Recreational Crabbing Boat License: Resident/Non-Resident: $5.00

Replacement licenses are issued only at the DNR Regional Service Centers.
Contact your local service center for further information.

D

dems4me

T.Rally said:

FYI

Recreational Crabbing License Information:

Resident Recreational Crabbing License: $5.00 Allows a resident of Maryland to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below. Holders of a $9.00 Resident Bay Sport Fishing License or a $5.00 Resident Senior Consolidated Fishing License may obtain this license for $2.00

Non-Resident Recreational Crabbing License: $10.00 Allows a non-resident to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below.

Recreational Crabbing Boat License: Resident/Non-Resident: $15.00 Allows anyone on board a vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries using specified gear as described in the link below.

Replacement Recreational Crabbing License: Resident/Non-Resident: $1.00

Replacement Recreational Crabbing Boat License: Resident/Non-Resident: $5.00

Replacement licenses are issued only at the DNR Regional Service Centers.
Contact your local service center for further information.

:clap: I knew you had to have a license!!! That's why if you have three people on a boat you can get up to 2 bushels if two of them have licenses and only one bushel if only one person has a license. :banana:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
deba399 said:
I don't think so - maybe they don't know we're after 'em yet.

How do you know a running crab will get caught? Maybe he's a quick one.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
11 to 30 traps or rings
Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
10 or fewer traps and rings
dipnets
handlines
No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers

dems4me said:
:clap: I knew you had to have a license!!! That's why if you have three people on a boat you can get up to 2 bushels if two of them have licenses and only one bushel if only one person has a license. :banana:
If you have 2 people in the boat, both with licenses, you can get 2 bushels. There is no need for the third person. They are taking up valuable crab space (unless they have a license, in which case, you can catch 3 bushels).

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
If you have 2 people in the boat, both with licenses, you can get 2 bushels. There is no need for the third person. They are taking up valuable crab space (unless they have a license, in which case, you can catch 3 bushels).
3rd person = bait

SeaRide

T.Rally said:

Last year? no way.. I sold my boat back in 2002 and I remember holding my own recreational crabbing license back then.

:googledforfacts:

Actually the big changes in the non-commercial crabbing regulation started back in 1999 (or earlier). The recreational crabbing license started back in 2001 ( or was it 2000?)

:peace:

Last edited:
D

dems4me

huntr1 said:

tis true.. never tried it with 3 people... just two people and wishing there was a third hand. :lol:

E

Ernie

Suz' said:
pots are out in bay. Season opened on the 15th I hear..........

That is correct. I took off Wednesday and Heard the crabbing boats setting the pots.