Calvert County Team Stinks Up Situation

MDindef

A big :boo: to the Calvert County 4-Heavy team for last night's debacle at Letty Dent versus the St. Mary's (North) All-Star team.

After losing the game on an admittedly questionable call (actually, it wasn't questionable - the St. Mary's North referrees robbed them of a game-winning touchdown - typical) members of the team and the coaches came out to the middle of the field and caused so much disruption that the police were called to break it up.

As always, the Steelers (Calvert County team) got out of there just prior to the police's arrival. This is not the first time. Last week, the St. Mary's (South) All-Star team played them at their home field and they started a fight after the game there, too.

This has happened for the past three years at almost every game the Steelers (4-Heavy division) show up at. Why does the St. Mary's Pigskin league keep inviting them back? I'm tired of having to insulate my son, who is both an athlete and a good student, with his whole future ahead of him, from being involved in something that requires police presence every time!

Oh yeah - the Steeler's team tore a bunch of stuff up on their way out of the football park - big surprise. I will say that they were robbed of that game last night on a blatant (and probably intentional) bad call, but they should be ashamed of the way they acted. There were a few players on that team though that weren't involved - these were the ones that actually had parents in control (big surprise there)!

Last edited:

MDindef

Bump...

I guess there aren't a whole lot of people on this board that have kids involved in county sports...

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh we stomped all over the Calvert County Steelers last Saturday(Division 2). So badly so, the Calvert County Panthers refused to show up to play us this past Sunday. :cheers: My son got the best defensive tackle award that day. :cheers: (proud mamma) :blushing:

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
MD, I don't normally check the sports section of the forums. :blushing: I'm a girl, and only really know my son is good at football because everyone tells me he is! :lmao: Half the time I can't keep track of where he is on the field and have to get the "instant replay" from Steve.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Ahem, Incidentally, my son's team is the Division II Redskins. Undefeated, Turkey Bowl Champs! :getdown:

I'm hoping and praying his coach (Harry Jones) moves up to division III next year and my son gets to play for him. He's the greatest! (as well as his assistant coaches).

Steve

Enjoying life!
Are there any other Division II teams in Calvert County? I know about the "no-show" Panthers, but it seems that no other team exists except for the Steelers (at all Divisions).

I'm still scratching my head over why our Div II Redskins played the Calvert Div II Steelers in their own Turkey Bowl! Very strange...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Steve
[B

I'm still scratching my head over why our Div II Redskins played the Calvert Div II Steelers in their own Turkey Bowl! Very strange... [/B]

When I was involved many years ago with the Prince Frederick Eagles, our Turkey Bowl was by invite -- we would invite who we wanted to play.

And MD, my kids (youngest is 19) have always been involved in sports. You run into this type of behavior at every age, in every sport. If you think what you saw is bad, try a teenage hockey game. Whew!!! Hockey itself is a very itense game, even from a spectator's point of view. You can feel the energy from the kids and the fans. It can get very ugly.

One observation over the years is that the "talented" kids get away with murder because they are good and it sets a bad example for the rest of the team. I've seen kids cuss at umpires, yell at teammates, you name it...and the parents do nothing and the coaches seem to ignore it. When the coaches DO call the kids on it, the parents step in to defend the kid. Also kids are emulating their sports "heroes" who tend to be terrible role models.

Sad thing is that it's getting worse. I miss the sporting events of my children horribly but I certainly do not miss all the BS that went along with it.

MDindef

Your observations and experience is right on, of course. Even so, I intend to keep my kids in sports as long as they continue to enjoy it. I think this kind of thing is harder on the parents than it is on the athletes! The athletes just write off that kind of behavior as "what a bunch of cry-babies," while three weeks later, I'm still talking about it!

J

justhangn

Originally posted by TerpsFan3631
The Steelers are a Solomons team, which means that kids from the Ranch Club play on it, which explains their behavior.

Wow, did you think that up all by yourself or did you get it from the bigot’s handbook??

Peers, not location, teaches behavior.

MDindef

I think upbringing explains their behavior. It wasn't to pretty, that's for sure. As for the Ranch Club, I know some fine people with nice families that live there.

Political correctness aside, is the Ranch Club considered to be a trouble spot?

TerpsFan3631

There are some very nice people, and some very nice families in the ranch club, but the ranch club is also a trouble spot for crime, especially juvenile crime.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by TerpsFan3631
There are some very nice people, and some very nice families in the ranch club, but the ranch club is also a trouble spot for crime, especially juvenile crime.

Could be because it's very densely populated, most homes have children, etc...etc. Why make generalizations?

SmallTown

Football season!
It is all relative I guess.. Awhile back I overhear people in line at the food lion in Callaway talking trash about the people who live in the Ranch Club.. Then I get behind these people coming home and what do you know.. They turn into the trailer park on great mills rd.. Go figure.

wericnchris

My son plays from the 65lb team Solomon Steelers and Ive never known for our division to ever have drama. And as for the Ranch Club comment, I dont live there but its not the neighborhood thats teaching these kids how to act its called parents need to teach their children respect and we should respect everyone on the field and just have fun. Thats the thing now a days its all about who gonna win and never di they have fun....... Good Luck to all team divisions in Calvert County and other counties, play hard and have fun....

wericnchris said:
My son plays from the 65lb team Solomon Steelers and Ive never known for our division to ever have drama.
Good to hear things have settled down over the past 5 years. :smile:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
wericnchris said:
My son plays from the 65lb team Solomon Steelers and Ive never known for our division to ever have drama. And as for the Ranch Club comment, I dont live there but its not the neighborhood thats teaching these kids how to act its called parents need to teach their children respect and we should respect everyone on the field and just have fun. Thats the thing now a days its all about who gonna win and never di they have fun....... Good Luck to all team divisions in Calvert County and other counties, play hard and have fun....
Good timely post.. way to stay on top of current issues!! :lmao:

greyhound

itsbob said:
Good timely post.. way to stay on top of current issues!! :lmao:

I started reading the thread and thought oh crap....my son is playing for this league for the first time and all this is going on. But wait a minute...the other teams haven't had any games. I looked at the date.............. :whistle:

wericnchris

Yeah thats what I thought as well...

:lalala:
greyhound said:
I started reading the thread and thought oh crap....my son is playing for this league for the first time and all this is going on. But wait a minute...the other teams haven't had any games. I looked at the date.............. :whistle: