what's the Harley difference?

marianne

DH has a Harley VRSCA anniversary VRod. But he seldom rides it and wants to get a fat boy, even if it means selling the VRod. What is the difference? When I ask him that, he just shakes his head. I love the VRod and think it's the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen and would never want to sell it. Obviously I don't get it, does someone understand this and can they explain it to me? :shrug:

Mikeinsmd

marianne said:
DH has a Harley VRSCA anniversary VRod. But he seldom rides it and wants to get a fat boy, even if it means selling the VRod. What is the difference? When I ask him that, he just shakes his head. I love the VRod and think it's the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen and would never want to sell it. Obviously I don't get it, does someone understand this and can they explain it to me? :shrug:
Go to Harleys site & look at the different bikes. You will see the difference. The V rod is the crotch rocket of Harleys. The fat boy is a big ole riding bike.

marianne

Yeah, they look a tiny bit different when you have them side by side on the Harley site. I see the difference a lot more when you compare something like a suzuki with a Harley. I guess I just think a Harley is a Harley. 'Course I also think a car is something you use to get somewhere, which is another "problem" I seem to have :)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
V-rod has a liquid cooled overhead cam engine. It was designed by Porsche and works very well. "The Faithful" don't like it because it's not air cooled with pushrod actuated valves.
Having a Fat Boy he doesn't ride will make him more accepted by the other Harley lemmings than having a semi modern design Harley he doesn't ride.

dustin

UAIOE
Also the fact that with tightening emissions standards, the aircooled pushrods will be a thing of the past in the next oh....maybe 10 years....maybe even less....I believe it was a premptive strike on HD's part to get it's foot in the door for their future livelyhood.

If I bought a HD, it would only be the V-Rod. Because i believe it is a better peice of engineering. People that buy a motorcycle based solely on the stigma of "heritage" either can't think for themselves or have money burning a hole in their pockets.

Vince

Got my old '86 Honda and I ride the crap out of it every chance I get. If you don't ride it, why own it? Can't wait til it warms up a little more. Tired of freezing my azz off.

Chief Jeff

Graphic Artist
Got an 04 Heritage which uses the same frame and suspension as the Fat Boy. Both ride on a Softail suspension, the V-Rod is a completely different look and usues its own frame style. I like all harleys, but I would have to say I would choose the Fat boy over the V-Rod, just my preference. I like the big ole harleys and the Twin-cam is an awesome engineered engine which all softails and FLs use. Either way he's riding a Harley, so your in a win win situation...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
marianne said:
DH has a Harley VRSCA anniversary VRod. But he seldom rides it and wants to get a fat boy, even if it means selling the VRod.
Chief Jeff said:
Either way he's riding a Harley, so your in a win win situation...

That seems to be the problem, he's not riding it.

marianne

Thanks, this helped. I've heard many old-time Harley folks haven't accepted the VRod but would hate to think that's factoring into DH's opinion. The Fat Boy would probably be more comfortable for him, especially if he took a long tour. But I can't imagine he would ride a Fat Boy much more than the VRod. It's not terrible that he doesn't ride the VRod much - it's certainly keeping it's value. Maybe I just need to get my own bike and quit being the backwarmer :patriot:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
marianne said:
Maybe I just need to get my own bike and quit being the backwarmer :patriot:
If you need to get your permit, check here. When you pass the course, just take the completion certificate to MVA and they'll add the endorsement to your liscense.

Vince

aps45819 said:
If you need to get your permit, check here. When you pass the course, just take the completion certificate to MVA and they'll add the endorsement to your liscense.
You don't even need a permit to take the course. Take the course and you'll get your license. Obviously, you have to pass the course, but they teach you and give you plenty of practice before the test. They provide the motorcycles too.

Ponytail

Vince said:
You don't even need a permit to take the course. Take the course and you'll get your license. Obviously, you have to pass the course, but they teach you and give you plenty of practice before the test. They provide the motorcycles too.

you might want to check into that. Every motorcycle safety class that I have looked into, whether it be for myself or getting someone else signed up, required that you have your permit prior to beginning the class.

Ponytail

aps45819 said:
That seems to be the problem, he's not riding it.

It being a V-Rod may be why. Alot of folks find the riding position of the V-Rod uncomfortable. I know I do. It is a power house of a motorccyle, but it's not a comfortable seating position especially on longer rides. Your hands are out over your toes, and for taller riders, their knees are higher than their waist.

The Fat Boy is a popular bike, and has been for more than 15 years because of it's look, ride and comfort. Not too many other motorcycles are more easily recognized than a Fat Boy.

Ever since it's appearance in "Terminator II", the popularity of that bike has been unreal.

Vince

Ponytail said:
you might want to check into that. Every motorcycle safety class that I have looked into, whether it be for myself or getting someone else signed up, required that you have your permit prior to beginning the class.
Nope. Had my license back in the 70's and after 20 years in the Navy hopping from state to state I lost the motorcycle license portion somewhere. Decided to start riding again 4 years ago and took the course at the Waldorf MVA. I think if you go to the MVA site for the course it tells you that you do not have to have your permit. Of course they may have changed the rules since, but after you're done with the course they give you a certificate and you take that and your regular drivers license to any MVA and get it renewed with the "M" on it. Just show them the certificate. And if you drive on the base it counts as their motorcycle safety course.

Vince

Ponytail said:
It being a V-Rod may be why. Alot of folks find the riding position of the V-Rod uncomfortable. I know I do. It is a power house of a motorccyle, but it's not a comfortable seating position especially on longer rides. Your hands are out over your toes, and for taller riders, their knees are higher than their waist.

The Fat Boy is a popular bike, and has been for more than 15 years because of it's look, ride and comfort. Not too many other motorcycles are more easily recognized than a Fat Boy.

Ever since it's appearance in "Terminator II", the popularity of that bike has been unreal.
I've been looking at the Wide Glide. I'm falling in love with that bike. As soon as I put a garage up I'm going for it.

Ponytail

Vince said:
Nope. Had my license back in the 70's and after 20 years in the Navy hopping from state to state I lost the motorcycle license portion somewhere. Decided to start riding again 4 years ago and took the course at the Waldorf MVA. I think if you go to the MVA site for the course it tells you that you do not have to have your permit. Of course they may have changed the rules since, but after you're done with the course they give you a certificate and you take that and your regular drivers license to any MVA and get it renewed with the "M" on it. Just show them the certificate. And if you drive on the base it counts as their motorcycle safety course.

:yay: Base accepted my safety course from the State Jeor-jya.

Ponytail

Vince said:
I've been looking at the Wide Glide. I'm falling in love with that bike. As soon as I put a garage up I'm going for it.

When I bought the bike that I have now, buying a wide glide was my intention. They walked me past the bike I have now first though. It was all over after that. Funny how that happens. Wish it would happen in bars like that. :ohwell:

Vince

Ponytail said:
When I bought the bike that I have now, buying a wide glide was my intention. They walked me past the bike I have now first though. It was all over after that. Funny how that happens. Wish it would happen in bars like that. :ohwell:
But PT, at least the women look at you. They look over the top of my head and say forget it. :lol: My friend has a Wide Glide he drives to work everyday and I just look at it drooling all over the place.

Last edited:

Ponytail

Vince said:
But PT, at least the women look at you. They look over the top of my head and say forget it. :lol: My friend has a Wide Glide he drives to work everyday and I just look at it, drooling all over the place.

there's a tall woman out there for each of us. I dated a girl a few years ago that was 6'2, and I LOVED it when she wore heals. She was an awesome rider (motorcycle!) too. I love me some tall women.

Finding ones that don't mind dating folks shorter than them can be challenging though. The one I mentioned, married a guy that was 5'10 or something...I know he was shorter than 6'. And he doesn't ride. She still emails me askin for rides. :patriot:

marianne

Ponytail said:
Alot of folks find the riding position of the V-Rod uncomfortable. I know I do.

Yeah, I think that is exactly it. He's tall at 6' although his knees aren't higher than his waist on the bike. After he rides a while he'll stretch out his back every chance he gets, so it must bother him. If I could, I'd take the VRod but I'm probably far too little. How do you know what "size" or weight bike fits you? I'm 5'0, 105lbs. DH told me about a small Ducati but I certainly don't need or want a fast bike.