Anyone do homebrewing?

W

wharfrat2

I homebrew, in fact have a nut brown ale going right now. Next up is a peach wheat ale.

Tomcat

Anytime
Made my own a long time ago. Still have all the stuff, should break it out and try it again. Dad makes some great wines.

ylexot

Super Genius
My "specialty" is a pumpkin ale...tastes a bit like pumpkin pie :yum:

I also have kegging equipment...much easier than bottles and not very expensive either.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
kingvjack said:
Hopefully your next batch wont taste like it was strained through a sock
Don't cry cause you don't like IPA's. I just finished a Scottish Ale that's pretty good, but I loke more hops in my beer than it has. The English IPA I did before that was great. I use the site www.morebeer.com.

fishinfool

Among other things
I've often thought of trying home brewing but the ones I have tasted were always dark strong beers which I don't really care for. Can you make a lighter beer more like an Bud with a home kit?

W

wharfrat2

fishinfool said:
I've often thought of trying home brewing but the ones I have tasted were always dark strong beers which I don't really care for. Can you make a lighter beer more like an Bud with a home kit?

You can make just about any style beer you want to. I have made a really tasty rice beer on several occasions. (Budweiser is a rice beer if you can call it beer)

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
fishinfool said:
Yeah, the kits can make anything. Ales are easier to make so they are more common. I personally like ales better than lagers (Bud) so that's what I choose. If your going to do a lager like bud you will need a fridge to put the stuff in while it ferments because it has to ferment at about 45 degrees and then lager at around 38 degrees depending on the style, yeast and recipe.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
ylexot said:
My "specialty" is a pumpkin ale...tastes a bit like pumpkin pie :yum:
:yum: This sounds delicious. Can I get a bottle from you of your pumpkin ale? I'll give you $5 gazillion dollars for it. Seriously, care to share a sample?

fishinfool

Among other things
wharfrat2 said:
You can make just about any style beer you want to. I have made a really tasty rice beer on several occasions. (Budweiser is a rice beer if you can call it beer)

Rice?..Really? It's not made from hops? Bud isn't my favorite either but it made for a well recognized example.

ylexot

Super Genius
BadGirl said:
:yum: This sounds delicious. Can I get a bottle from you of your pumpkin ale? I'll give you $5 gazillion dollars for it. Seriously, care to share a sample?
I'll make another batch this fall, but for now it is all gone.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
fishinfool said:
Rice?..Really? It's not made from hops? Bud isn't my favorite either but it made for a well recognized example.
Hops is just a flavoring ingredient. Rice, Malts, Barley, Wheat and such other grains make of the bulk of the fermentable ingredients. For example, The IPA I brewed had 9lbs of English Light malt extract and 1.5 lbs of grain for steeping. Hops wise, it only had 4oz of Kent Goldings and 2 oz of Magnum.

fishinfool

Among other things
Bustem' Down said:
Hops is just a flavoring ingredient. Rice, Malts, Barley, Wheat and such other grains make of the bulk of the fermentable ingredients. For example, The IPA I brewed had 9lbs of English Light malt extract and 1.5 lbs of grain for steeping. Hops wise, it only had 4oz of Kent Goldings and 2 oz of Magnum.

That settles it, I'm going to give home brewing a try. I hate to know so little about something I enjoy so much