Urinary/kidney blockage

D

dems4me

My poor poor baby Sampson has been acting funny, last weekend he kept squatting and trying to pee everywhere for twenty minutes at a time and nothing was coming out... I watched him all day and then he was fine and back to his old self and utilizing the litter box and everything was flowing.

He started doing the same thing this weekend and nothing was coming out, he was growling and hiding under my bed, he NEVER growls, and certainly not at his momma... so I took him to the vet, they said it was a urinary blockage and will be there a few days with a catheder in him and its possible if it happens again I may have to have him get surgury. Not to mention the vet bill is 800-1200 just for this vet visit alone.

Anyone familiar with this topic... I remember years ago they said "ash" in foods was a culprit. I cried all day yesterday and tossed and turned all night worrying about my baby guy.... I missed him sleeping no my head as he does evernight. I miss him terribly. :bawl: Has anyone had this happpen to their cat?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Several cats growing up, two died. I have have one now that had issues early on but not in many years. If the urethra blocks, they are in serious danger and can die from uremic poisioning. You need to recognize the symptoms.

Ash content of the food was once thought to be the major problem, and it can be, but there are many other contributory factors. You need to raise the acidity of the urine. You can do this through diet and with medication. Generally, once they have it, it can easily recur.

I'd suggest you do research on the internet like I did when my most recent cat had a problem. There's a ton of stuff out there discussing diet, supplements, etc.

If he wasn't blocked, and just had a UTI, there is a school of thought that cats that are upset over situations, stressed because of a new pet, etc. will begin to have urinary problems resulting from stress. This was the case for my cat and I discussed this with vet and we agreed that amitryptaline might help him and it did. Knock on wood, he hasn't had a problem in years.

Sorry to hear about Sampson.

Same thing happened to the cat of a friend of mine. After treatment and then surgery and over $2,000 later... the cat ended up dying anyway. Good luck. :ohwell:

Our girl cat has the same problem. Has had it for years. If fed regular food, magnesium crystals form in the bladder and come out when she pees. If enough form, blockage occurs. Never let it get that far. Had meds for her last time that broke down the crystals and she was able to pass them without too much pain. You can get "urinary tract health" cat food everywhere (even walmart and food lion). It is low in magnesium and ash. Switch to that style food, and you should be ok in the future.

D

dems4me

Thanks all, he's 7 years old - he's the one that Bogart was using for his av in December... he's special - not very bright as I think he was inbred but he's 1000% all heart. He cries if I'm not in the same room with him and then I go get him and he starts purring.

Vet said something about crystals and it being a blockage, rather than an infection, at first I thought it was a urinarty tract infection because like people, it gives them a false sense of having to use the bathroom all the time... but not with him, when he was growling I just knew something was seriously wrong. He was trying soo hard. :frown: he'd try even on my shoes on the floor and I'd let him, just hoping something would come out... whereever he wanted to go - just so long as he could, but to no avail. :bawl:

I just thought I'd get some meds, etc... and I was a nervous wreck and got incredibly lost on streets I normally drive all the time just getting him to the vet, and I promised him some tuna fish and we'd play with his little green sparkly ball toy all night together, etc... instead I came home with swollen eyes and red nose from crying and an empty cat carrier... not at all what I had promised him... :bawl:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
dems4me said:
My poor poor baby Sampson has been acting funny, last weekend he kept squatting and trying to pee everywhere for twenty minutes at a time and nothing was coming out... I watched him all day and then he was fine and back to his old self and utilizing the litter box and everything was flowing.

He started doing the same thing this weekend and nothing was coming out, he was growling and hiding under my bed, he NEVER growls, and certainly not at his momma... so I took him to the vet, they said it was a urinary blockage and will be there a few days with a catheder in him and its possible if it happens again I may have to have him get surgury. Not to mention the vet bill is 800-1200 just for this vet visit alone.

Anyone familiar with this topic... I remember years ago they said "ash" in foods was a culprit. I cried all day yesterday and tossed and turned all night worrying about my baby guy.... I missed him sleeping no my head as he does evernight. I miss him terribly. :bawl: Has anyone had this happpen to their cat?

My cat had this twice in his life. First time he almost died. After the vet thing, we put him on science diet food. They also say avoid any kind of seafood in male cats. My cats now only eat chicken, beef and veal ect. No fish. I hope your baby gets better. If you ever see him trying that hard to pee again, go to doc immediatly. Plus it wont cost so much because you catch it early. Remember this can kill them fast. Good luck.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
dems4me said:
Vet said something about crystals and it being a blockage, rather than an infection, at first I thought it was a urinarty tract infection because like people, it gives them a false sense of having to use the bathroom all the time... but not with him, when he was growling I just knew something was seriously wrong. He was trying soo hard. :frown: he'd try even on my shoes on the floor and I'd let him, just hoping something would come out... whereever he wanted to go - just so long as he could, but to no avail. :bawl:

I just thought I'd get some meds, etc... and I was a nervous wreck and got incredibly lost on streets I normally drive all the time just getting him to the vet, and I promised him some tuna fish and we'd play with his little green sparkly ball toy all night together, etc... instead I came home with swollen eyes and red nose from crying and an empty cat carrier... not at all what I had promised him... :bawl:
When I was a teenager, we had a cat that had the surgery. Very strange...removed all of his male parts... He actually lived to a ripe old age.

Tuna is not a good thing for him, Dems.

D

dems4me

Thanks... that's what the vet said - was because the body starts absorbing the toxins. Maybe it was all the tunafish treats and sardines in a tin, etc.. I had been giving him. Just for him, my special baby. He can't just eat the peices of whatever treat, I need to tear it in small peices and hand feed it to him. :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
dems4me said:
Thanks... that's what the vet said - was because the body starts absorbing the toxins. Maybe it was all the tunafish treats and sardines in a tin, etc.. I had been giving him. Just for him, my special baby. He can't just eat the peices of whatever treat, I need to tear it in small peices and hand feed it to him. :huggy:
Worst thing to feed him. Best thing you can do for him to read up on what he needs to eat. Soft boiled eggs are great!!

Here ya go..this is a start...

http://www.holisticat.com/fus.html

D

dems4me

cattitude said:
Worst thing to feed him. Best thing you can do for him to read up on what he needs to eat. Soft boiled eggs are great!!

Here ya go..this is a start...

http://www.holisticat.com/fus.html

wouldn't ya' know it... he must sense I get allmy eggs for free and he doesn't like eggs.... he does like ham... is that bad???

Eitherway, he already had all his male parts removed and the vet called him a unisex when they handed him to me about 3 years ago... :ohwell: I kept trying to explain that to the vet when he mentioned catheder but he didn't know what I was talking about... its the same vet, if he had taken the time to read his file first, I probably could have gotten some better advice or something... Thanks :huggy:

D

dems4me

appyday said:
I have had several cats roter rootered...All still alive.....need to be on Science diet CD....if you got the parts all removed...then they will never block again...I kept mine whole for breeding so did not get that done...big bill I am sure..

Thanks :huggy: He has long hair as he is a pure bred persian, etc... if he gets entirely roto rootered, will this be a messy thing when he urinates?

D

dems4me

Good News!!!

My baby is doing ok still - he has alot of debree (blood, crystals, etccc) still in his urine (via catheder) stuff and then they will take it out this evening and see how he does tomorrow. I can't wait to see him... my poor little guy... I can't wait just to hug and hug and hug and kiss and kiss and kiss him!!!! :huggy: I miss him but hopefully he'll be home by tomorrow night AND they said that 80% to 90% of the cats DON't reblock and if it does we'll go through the recatherder process again and then put him on the medicine (a soft muscle kind of muscle relaxer for indefinate). I kept listening in the background on the phone seeing if I heard him but all I heard were dogs in the background. I love my baby guy!!! He's my little man!!!! I can't wait for him to come back home :huggy: I'm soo happy I feel like crying for joy now !!! :huggy: Ughh... this has been an emotional rollar coaster with him and thanks to all those that I've been corresponding with via pm, emails, etc... and phone or krama comments. I'm not the basket of nerves I was. :huggy: :cartwheel :cartwheel :cartwheel

D

dems4me

appyday said:
The last one I did reblocked in 2 weeks...over $1000 between both visits..

:frown: thanks :ohwell: They said that if it did it would be an additional 70.00 for recatherization... which makes me wonder why I'm paying 880-1200 for this time if they are not doing anything different next time? They are doing an ultrasound later today to make sure there nothing in there like a tumor or anything blocking it. Maybe that's why it costs soo much?

D

dems4me

appyday said:
I have had a male with pulips in his bladder had to scrape it and move his urethra that was almost $1300

$70 recatherazation...+ anestesia+ office call + whatever they want to charge.

keep him on the food they give...for sure

thanks... it'll be hard though to make sure he doesn't eat the other kitty food and dog food, etc... though...How do you manage that??

D

dems4me

He can't come home today :bawl: There's still too much debris in his kidneys for them to pull the catheder out :bawl: :frown: We are hoping for tomorrow. :frown: