Worthwhile or Malarky

• Worthwhile

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Malarky

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

Toxick

Splat
I'm talking about all the trimmings. Salad Fork, Dinner Fork, Shrimp Fork, Soup spoon, dessert spoon and knife, white wine with fish and poultry, red wine with beef, napkin on the lap, and knowing how all of this functions smoothly during a fine dining experience.

Worthwhile or Malarky?

I'm just wondering if everyone things all these formal rules of etiquette and table manners are good and useful, or a simple waste of time and effort.

morganj614

None of that is good when drinking a beer while eating ribs and corn on the cob..
I don't need to pay extra for those trimmings. :cheers:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Don't forget the grapefruit spoon, the ice cream spoon, and the iced tea spoon.

I have all of them, and have never used them. :bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
Worthwhile or Malarky?
Malarky, except for "napkin in the lap" to protect your clothing from spills and a handy place to wipe your hands. That said, you should at least know HOW to do it so you can make a good show when confronted with a pretentious hostess at a dinner party.

My grandmother says the only real table manners you need to know are chew with your mouth closed and don't blow your nose at the table. If you can get those two down, you're golden.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I hate that elegance in general has gone the way of the dinosaur, so I say worthwhile.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BadGirl said:
individual salt cellars
I have to put in a good word for individual condiments and seasonings. It's nice to not have to wait for the S&P to be passed around. But Gran always said it's rude to season your food when you're a guest in someone's home - she said that you should eat it the way your hostess prepared it and shut up.

nomoney

table manners are a must.....

and if you are in an elegant situation; should definantly be used. I will teach my children correctly-so if the need arrives (not at my house for dayum sure) they will be prepared.

so I say worthwhile....

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
But Gran always said it's rude to season your food when you're a guest in someone's home - she said that you should eat it the way your hostess prepared it and shut up.

This is interesting.

It makes sense, but I've never heard about this particular facet of etiquette. I'll have to add that to my lexicon of table manners.

And for the record, I voted worthwhile. It may be putting on airs, acting all uppity to some people, but I find that all the fanciness and pretention can be quite enjoyable, and gives a touch of class to a formal occasion, or professional business dinner. It can be a pleasant and enjoyable experience.

Provided you do know formal etiquette - otherwise it's just uncomfortable.