Breakfast Casserole

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I just heard about this dish this morning from my son - new one on me! Anyone else here familiar with it?

CMC122

Go Braves!
:howdy: I love that stuff! It's easy to make too:yay: You can also change the ingredients pretty easily to change up the flavors:wink:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
:yum: Every once in awhile my boss will make some and bring it in for everyone...it's delish!

CMC122

Go Braves!
Railroad said:
It's kinda like a modified omelet, right?
Kinda:yay:

I don't follow any specific recipe but mine goes a little like this.

8 eggs
1 cup of milk
a cup or two of cheddar
a pound of cooked sausage
about 3/4 of a loaf of bread torn into pieces
a good squirt of mustard
a nice dash of dry mustard

mix it all in a loaf pan and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Dot it with a couple of table spoons of butter and bake at 350 degree's for about 30 to 45 minutes:yay: (cover it with foil for the first 30 minutes or so:yay:)

you can add onions, muchrooms, peppers, asparagus, apples.........etc.
Change the sausage to ham, bacon, or scrapple.
Use different breads.
Use heavy cream instead of milk!
Leave out the mustard if you like, change the cheese, etc. It's really very easy!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Thanks VERY MUCH for your recipe!

I hadn't heard my son mention bread; maybe the person who made it for him was substituting shredded potato (like in hash browns) for the bread. He did say it had the potato in it.

K

Kain99

I wonder how important refrigerating overnight is...... I need an idea for this morning. :smile:

mainman

Set Trippin
A friend of mine who is actually a chef use to make what he called a John Wayne Casserole.. I snatched this recipe off the web, but it looks about the same as his... This is some kick ass stuff btw!!! :banana:

John Wayne Casserole
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 ounces canned, diced green chiles
1 pound Monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated
1 pound Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
3/4 cup evaporated milk
4 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix chiles and cheeses and put into a buttered shallow casserole.

In a small bowl combine milk, egg yolks, flour, salt and pepper.

In a large bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold whites into the yolk mixture. Then pour the mixture over the cheese and chile mixture and carefully blend. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and lay tomato slices over the entire top. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Garnish with a sprinkling of green chiles.

Last edited:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Kain99 said:
I wonder how important refrigerating overnight is...... I need an idea for this morning. :smile:
My friend dosen't refirigerate overnight and it's still a hit with them:yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Try using Ore Ida's Potatoes O'Brien. They have the peppers and onions in them for extra flavor. :yum:

Vince

RoseRed said:
Try using Ore Ida's Potatoes O'Brien. They have the peppers and onions in them for extra flavor. :yum:
Yeah, I love that stuff. Use it in my breakfast burrito recipe. Jay loves em.

Vince

RoseRed said:
Me too. I fry them up so they are extra crispy. :yum:
I mix them with eggs, sausage, cheese and just stick the whole bowl in the frig. Then Jay can microwave it for breakfast burritos during the week.