National Zoo

Triggerfish

Is the National Zoo in Washington D.C worth taking my 2 year old to? My mother-in-law thought it was a sad place. However I think my daughter may be thrilled to see the animals.

Thanks for any imput.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My son loved it when he was 2. He stood and watched the otters play for about 10 minutes, and would've stayed there all day if I'd let him. :yay:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
It isn't the nicest Zoo there is, and they've had some problems in the recent past, but they do have some good exhibits. They have free range monkeys, which is cool. The Oragatans have a high wire that runs through some of the park so you can look up and see them climbing around. The Panda bears were real cool. The Elephant exhibit is really cool cause they have a bathing presentation where they wash them and the babies and it's real up close.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
The zoo is excellent and a very enjoyable place to spend an afternoon. Just be prepaired for lots of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. Commuting by vehicle is easy and parking is free.

mrweb

Iron City
I visited the zoo in Baltimore years ago. I actually liked it better, although it is a bit further.

Triggerfish

Chasey_Lane said:
Just be prepaired for lots of walking, so wear comfortable shoes.

My last duty station was Japan. My wife lived there for over 8 years. People in Japan do a lot of walking. Walk to the train station. Walk to the platform(some of the stations are huge), walk to work or school. Then the same in reverse. Walk to the grocery store and carry the grocery home on foot. No driving the car to pick up the mail doen the block...

Triggerfish

mrweb said:
I visited the zoo in Baltimore years ago. I actually liked it better, although it is a bit further.

We need to go pick something up in Manassas and I thought that the zoo in the DC is not too far out of the way. Plus doesn't the Baltimore zoo charge?

R

rdonthehd

Triggerfish said:
Is the National Zoo in Washington D.C worth taking my 2 year old to? My mother-in-law thought it was a sad place. However I think my daughter may be thrilled to see the animals.

Thanks for any imput.

I went up to the zoo in D.C. last sunday, it was cold out so most of the animals weren't out either. Plus, some of the zookeepers told me that a lot of the animals (like the birds for example) aren't put out until at least mid May. So save going to the zoo until after mother's day in order to see all the animals playing around. There are a lot of cool exhibits to keep kids busy. There is A LOT of walking, but not as much as the San Diego zoo, which, I think blows any zoo outta the water. Also, parking is $16 for the day in D.C.
Here is the site to check out the zoo's calendar of events.
Have fun! :cartwheel

mrweb

Iron City
Triggerfish said:
We need to go pick something up in Manassas and I thought that the zoo in the DC is not too far out of the way. Plus doesn't the Baltimore zoo charge?
It was years ago and really can't recall if there was admission or not. Shoot, I can't even remember what I paid for anything yesterday. :shrug:

Wait until it warms up some more, but go before summer. Don't drive. Take metro. It's an experience in itself. There is a metro station right at the zoo. Baltimore zoo sucks compared to DC. They even had to get rid of a bunch of their animals due to lack of funding a couple years ago.

Another good place it the "zoo" up between Frederick and Thurmont (Catoctin Zoo I think it's called). It's right on Rt. 15. Very up-close to the animals. Great for kids. Had camel rides last time we were there. You have to pay for that one though.