Is it me, or does Comcast suck!!

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I live in Waldorf, and have Comcast high speed internet.  And I have had nothing but problems with it :dosman:   Everytime I call they give me the run around.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Thanks!!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
We are getting ready to go from an ISDN line to Comcast.  Does anyone have anything nice to say about the service here in Lusby before the big switch?  What kind of problems are you experiencing?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I live in Lusby, and have Comcast Cable. When it's not acting up - which is occasional - it's awesome. Still, there are times when I can't get in, and they always seem to be just when I HAVE TO BE ONLINE. So I'm glad I've kept a cheap dialup as a backup, for just such times. (If I was *smart*, I'd just use the free ones for backup, but it ain't me).

Y

yornoc

missi1013 on 2:51 pm on April 11, 2002[br]I live in Waldorf, and have Comcast high speed internet.  And I have had nothing but problems with it :dosman:   Everytime I call they give me the run around.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Thanks!!

From what I've been hearing, it's NOT you.  Emerging technology blues (at least in the area) I guess!  I just pray that they hurry up and work out ALL the bugs.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I agree with frank, have a back up!!!  All the times I need to get online, it never works!!  They Waldorf is the wrost, I have a brother-in-law who lives in LaPlata and he doesn't hav any problems.  I guess it just depends on were you live.

And comcast isn't all that great.  You have a fast downloading speed, but not a fast uploading speed.  Comcast stops you from doing that!  It's alright but not worth $50 some dollars a month!!!

If you are having problems with Comcast then try calling tech support at 1-888-793-0800.  Most of the time people that have problems with high speed access is because the computer is not properly maintained.  I've been waiting for high speed access here in Lusby for two years.  During my service calls I've noticed that it's not just the phone lines in my area that are noisy.
 Comcast can be great if you take care of your computer and the installer used RG6 cable for the installation.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
It's been about a week now since we switched to Comcast.  The only problem we seem to experience is that once, twice, or sometimes a few times a day it drops offline.  It only does it for a few seconds up to a few minutes, but it is FRUSTRATATING! :cussing:  Anyone else notice this or am I the only lucky one. :boo:

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Shaon,
I hear yeah girl!  It happens to me all the time!

And QualityPCRepair-It's not the computer.  My husbend made this computer and he has upgraded just before comcast.  Everyone in Waldorf is having this problem! It's comcast!  And comcast support doesn't help, there just reading from a screen.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Sharon on 2:08 pm on May 3, 2002[br]It's been about a week now since we switched to Comcast.  The only problem we seem to experience is that once, twice, or sometimes a few times a day it drops offline.  It only does it for a few seconds up to a few minutes, but it is FRUSTRATATING! :cussing:  Anyone else notice this or am I the only lucky one. :boo:

It's just you!!!  :roflmao:  :wink:

The cables in Waldorf must not be as good as the cables in Lusby.  Good luck in getting them to fix it.
 I stand corrected.  Thanks.

Y

yornoc

The price went up AGAIN and the service still SUCKS! :boo:
:barf:

If I was not interested in the highspeed internet connection, I would quit the cable and get a satelite

DarbyOhara

Musician
Well, I have had dialup, cable and now have DSL... I know not everyone has this option, but if you do, go with DSL... For you "complainers" of the cable :D You must understand that you are NOT on a dedicated connection. Your connection is shared with possibly many others (cable company controls this)! Don't believe me? Double click on your Network Neighborhood icon... and poke around in there to see all the lovely little "SHARED" icons... Be warned though, you could get locked up in there cause if you click on someone, it may try to connect to them... which may take windows a long time to say to itself... there is no direct connection. When your connection is working properly and you are getting the proper speeds intended, then there is nothing wrong with the cable or wire system where you are located... [kick my foot in the dirt] I guess we all forgot cable is networked, DSL is dedicated and dialup is ancient history! :cheers: Starbuck said it best... network congestion! If you have a few people in your "party" <-- those shared icons... pounding down bytes to their little computers... it's gonna SLOW your connection down and possibly Bump you off till it reconnects.... and who da heck is Bufurd Humphrey? lol

Frank

Chairman of the Board
The thing is, the premise that DSL is better than cable because of shared bandwidth is a myth - DSL is just dedicated until you get to the CO, and then everything is shared. You have the same logjam, it's just further up the road. The question is, does your provider oversell its bandwidth?

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by Frank
The thing is, the premise that DSL is better than cable because of shared bandwidth is a myth - DSL is just dedicated until you get to the CO, and then everything is shared. You have the same logjam, it's just further up the road. The question is, does your provider oversell its bandwidth?

There is no myth... it is a fact! visit www.dslreports.com and read about it. I am not a technician for the cable company... but after experiencing it for myself, I now know... I NEVER have a slow or down time based on my connection being shared with DSL.. cause it is not shared -- it is dedicated to the gateway. Of course we ALL go though a gateway... that will always be.. it would be down right silly to point your finger at a gateway... cause EVERYONE goes through some type of a gateway.

The other fact is... and I experienced this with cable.... the cable could be much faster and better band width... but that diminishes when you get more people in your party. When I first had cable in 2000 and 2001.... it was super for speed... then I started seeing those icons (shared connections in my party) grow.. and my speeds went down to below 4 or 500 bps at times. It's because you are SHARED right there at the cable company.. BEFORE the gateway... as cable.. you are in a party...:eek: Did I mention you are in a party for shared connection if you are cable.... grrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I still don't see how what you, or dslreports, disproves my point. The only thing that really matters is the point at which the ISP connects with the Internet. It doesn't matter if you share bandwidth with 10 neighbors locally with cable, or with a few hundred further up at the CO with DSL. Ultimately what makes a difference is the *total* number of users, and the bandwidth they can offer. It's kind of like, which way gets you to work faster - a ten-minute traffic snarl in your neighborhood with 10 neighbors, or a ten-minute wait at the base, with 100?

It depends on the company itself, and not the technology. Generally speaking - DSL has been, in *practice* IN THE U.S., faster to use. So your experience is very likely to prove favorable - but it doesn't mean the technology is worse. In other countries, such as Canada and Australia - DSL is clearly the poorer choice.

As I said - it's not the technology, it's the company.