Gardening

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I'm planting our front 2 flower beds on Saturday and despite carefully browsing, "Landscaping for Dummies," I'm lost. :bawl: There are 2 beds in the front, both pretty large.

#1 is 26' long and 5-6' deep - rectangular shaped.

#2 is 30' long and 6-8' deep - 1/2-oval shaped.

I want it to look nice, w/some plants lining the edges, etc... but don't want to be stuck doing all annuals, even though it's sort of late in the game to be doing bulbs. Any ideas for me??

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I can't remember..HGTV has a website and I think Better Homes and Gardens has something too. They will actually help you plan out a design with what to plant for the area. I just can't remember the sites...do a search and there's gobs of stuff.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I like hosta for lining edges..but it can't take full sun. They multiply so every couple of years, you can divide them.

Jazz would be great for this type of thing as would Sharon. I know a little but I don't do a whole lot of gardening.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Start with a center piece like a lace leaf maple, cork screw or pompous grass, then work around it with perrenials that bloom at different times...glads, iris, day lily, then outline the bed with mondo grass. Do it paper first so you can decide where you want everything to be when it blooms.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
cattitude said:
I like hosta for lining edges..but it can't take full sun. They multiply so every couple of years, you can divide them.

Hosta...yes. I discovered that, and plan to use that near the house for the edges - it's not full sun there and will hopefully do okay. I like the variated ones. I'll probably get most general supplies at Wal-Mart, but will probably get the main stuff from the Greenery where they can give me guidance. Plus, it's close so when I run out I can run back there really quick to grab more. :lol:

cattitude said:
Jazz would be great for this type of thing as would Sharon. I know a little but I don't do a whole lot of gardening.

ViolaceousTiger

hey I'm doing a lot of gardening right now and I have a rectangular shaped area in the front and also an oval area in an open spot in my yard, If you have some areas that are shady, then you should get ferns which they have at lowes and wentworths for sure(japanese painted ferns) they are silvery and awesome. I got those today, and then you could also think about getting Dianthus if you don't have those already. They come back every year, they're really pretty if you plant them in clusters. Salvia's are pretty cool, you can get them in a really dark pretty purple, and do you have any columbines? Those are awesome too, they come back every year, and would be good for you to plant in the oval space you have, Let me know how it goes with your planting! would love to talk about that sort of stuff and help you out with it or if you want any opinions!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What elaine said. Perennials are your friend. Plant spring flowering bulbs in the fall. You can still plant bulbs and tubers for summer and foliage, like day lilies and elephant ears and dahlias. Planning your garden first on paper is VERY important, especially when figuring out how to space them and plant for continuous bloom.

One great resource is the people at Wentworths and The Greenery. They've always been very helpful when I have a question or need help planning.

Let me dig and see what web sites that I have that can help you.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get some realistic looking fake plants...:confused: I need to re-landscape my backyard and I'm looking for something nice looking, but easy maintenence... you know just hose it down once and a while when it gets dirty. :shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Does anyone know where I can get some realistic looking fake plants...:confused: I need to re-landscape my backyard and I'm looking for something nice looking, but easy maintenence... you know just hose it down once and a while when it gets dirty. :shrug:
Astroturf :yay:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
jazz lady said:
Let me dig and see what web sites that I have that can help you.

Awesome!! Even though I'm planning, this is my 1st year so I'm pretty sure it'll be a cluster-eff. However, ya gotta start somewhere and I can evaluate again this fall. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
I love the yucca plants. They are virtually indestructible.
Ugh. If I never have one again it wouldn't break my heart. Do NOT get them. The blades on the plant are sharp and can cut you.

jazz lady said:
Ugh. If I never have one again it wouldn't break my heart. Do NOT get them. The blades on the plant are sharp and can cut you.
Thanks for the warning, Jazzy... I knew Catt was out to get me...:mad:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
JabbaJawz said:
Awesome!! Even though I'm planning, this is my 1st year so I'm pretty sure it'll be a cluster-eff. However, ya gotta start somewhere and I can evaluate again this fall. :yay:
The nice things about plants is if you plant them in the wrong place, you CAN MOVE THEM. :yay: I've planted things too close or put big things in front of little things. Gardens are constantly evolving.

I just put in the front beds in my house last year. You can look at last year's pictures here under "House and Garden." These are two perennial beds across the front of the house. About 50% of them are native Maryland species. Lots of Stargazer lilies. Two trellises on the end for climbing clemantis vines.