Puzzle gluing

D

dems4me

I'm always having to be doing something and my latest - doing something while watching tv, and other things at the same time is puzzles. It was oil panting at night, now puzzles. Eitherway, I'm not one for gluing puzzles, I just do it, put it back in the box start another one. However, I have come across a puzzle that would actually look good glued and hung on a wall (not one where it'd look tacky). I have a cardboard backing that is cut to perfection, but how do I go about picking up the entire puzzle without it breaking up and putting it on the cardboard with wet glue on it??? I can't do a puzzle fast enought to get all the peices in the right spot before the glue dries or peices mistakenly in the wrong spot and stuck there for life, etc... I can't just slide the puzzle off the table and onto the cardboard or the glue will all be pushed to one edge... how in the world does someone go about doing this - or is this an artform in and of itself... like having ships inside a bottle???:confused:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Put the cardboard at the edge of the table (a little under), and slide the puzzle onto it. Then take a clear glaze type of glue and brush it onto the puzzle. :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Get your handy tube of Superglue, coat fingers with the glue, press your fingers to your temples and wait for my next post. :biggrin:

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
Get your handy tube of Superglue, coat fingers with the glue, press your fingers to your temples and wait for my next post. :biggrin:

:roflmao: ahh thanks for the memories or ripping off fingerprints trying to get unstuck... :roflmao: :killingme:

Nickle - thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want glue on the picture itself :shrug: and if I slide it the glue on the cardboard will all be scraped to one side as I'm scooting the puzzle onto the cardboard :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ok then, slide it onto the cardboard and put another piece of cardboard on top. Flip it over, take the bottom piece off, brush glue on the back of the picture, then stick the bottom piece back on. Either way, you're gonna have to slide it.

D

dems4me

Nickel said:
Ok then, slide it onto the cardboard and put another piece of cardboard on top. Flip it over, take the bottom piece off, brush glue on the back of the picture, then stick the bottom piece back on. Either way, you're gonna have to slide it.

That sounds manageable!! Thanks!!! :smooch:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
You don't need the cardboard yet. My wife and I do this all the time. Go to K-Mart or Michael's and buy a bottle of puzzle glue. It's made to be applied to the image side of your puzzle. Lay a little wax paper around the edges of your puzzle, apply the glue, and wait 24 hours. Then you can slide the cardboard underneath by simply picking up a corner of the puzzle and sliding the cardboard in.

We were able to pick up our puzzles after they'd been glued and put them in picture frames, without having a piece of cardboard to stabilize them during handling, but I'd feel more comfortable with the cardboard.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Railroad said:
You don't need the cardboard yet. My wife and I do this all the time. Go to K-Mart or Michael's and buy a bottle of puzzle glue. It's made to be applied to the image side of your puzzle. Lay a little wax paper around the edges of your puzzle, apply the glue, and wait 24 hours. Then you can slide the cardboard underneath by simply picking up a corner of the puzzle and sliding the cardboard in.

We were able to pick up our puzzles after they'd been glued and put them in picture frames, without having a piece of cardboard to stabilize them during handling, but I'd feel more comfortable with the cardboard.

Wow!!! Wish I'd waited... I used about half a bottle of elmer's glue and spent about 3 hours painting the glue on the puzzle upside down and now I realized the edges are all coming up like mini ramps or something... :banghead: I guess I'll have to buy another one and start over if I can find the exact puzzle again. Thanks RRd. :smile:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
dems4me said:
Wow!!! Wish I'd waited... I used about half a bottle of elmer's glue and spent about 3 hours painting the glue on the puzzle upside down and now I realized the edges are all coming up like mini ramps or something... :banghead: I guess I'll have to buy another one and start over if I can find the exact puzzle again. Thanks RRd. :smile:
Sorry about all your effort and the damage to the puzzle! :huggy:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
dems4me said:
The box for the puzzle should have a product number and manufacturer's name on it. You can take it to Michael's or possibly Bay Books and have them order a replacement for you.

D

dems4me

Railroad said:
The box for the puzzle should have a product number and manufacturer's name on it. You can take it to Michael's or possibly Bay Books and have them order a replacement for you.

Thanks it was a Thomas Kinkade one I liked - that would look ok being glued... what I shoudl really do is - not be cheap and just order a darn replica of the painting... :roflmao:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
dems4me said:
Thanks it was a Thomas Kinkade one I liked - that would look ok being glued... what I shoudl really do is - not be cheap and just order a darn replica of the painting... :roflmao:
He does nice work!

D

dems4me

Railroad said:
He does nice work!

yep... just not after I get ahold of it though :frown:

Next time I think I'll just go back to painting and make my own to hang on the wall... especially seeings how it was a painting (albeit puzzled) that went up anyways... :whack: